| FTBL How good are we really?

G

I do not think we should judge just yet. I love the improvement I have seen from week 1 to week 2 but I think it is impossible to tell where we are at from those 2 games. UA will be a good football team barring injury but it is still possible that we lose to Arky and UGA. Even with Arkansas having some issues they are still a better team than Vandy and have the best RB in the nation. Regardless, I can't wait until this weekend. Roll Tide!

After two games the definite improvement over a year ago is that we did not allow an inferior opponent to hang around with a chance to beat us late.

I think that the O Line is better than a year ago, but we will know a lot more about that group after the next two games. Red zone was very good versus Weetern Carolina, not so good versus Vandy (settled for FG too often). After Ark and Ga we will have a much better idea. If we are 4-0 at that point we might just talk a little smack.

Honestly,

It will really be hard evaluate this team of "how good we really are" b/c I can't seem to disconnect between being good w/o winning a NC...that is just the truth. Almost like the team keeps saying after each game, we aren't satisfied & now we're focusing on the next thing to get better.

I'm beginning to appreciate more & more what CNS is saying that he will not be satisfied until the season is over & even more so his & the teams focus should be on the process it takes to win, not each win.

As a professional in my field I can see his point more & more. That being my focus should be in the day to day processes & efficiencies to get better, not the results as much.

Or results only measure what it takes to get better.

Crimson&WhiteGecko said:
Honestly,

It will really be hard evaluate this team of "how good we really are" b/c I can't seem to disconnect between being good w/o winning a NC...that is just the truth. Almost like the team keeps saying after each game, we aren't satisfied & now we're focusing on the next thing to get better.

I'm beginning to appreciate more & more what CNS is saying that he will not be satisfied until the season is over & even more so his & the teams focus should be on the process it takes to win, not each win.

As a professional in my field I can see his point more & more. That being my focus should be in the day to day processes & efficiencies to get better, not the results as much.

Or results only measure what it takes to get better.

Well said.

Perhaps it would be a good thing to ask one's self before starting a thread such as this one, "How would Nick Saban respond to this question?"

Not too favorably, I suspect.

It's tough to guage how good we are at this point, I see lots of things that we are doing better than we were at this time last year. The biggest thing I see is attitude and desire. The players are playing with confidence and passion, you can see it in the way they carry themselves. Last year it seemed as though we were allways waiting for the "bad" thing to happen to us, this year I don't get that feeling. I know that players play the game but Saban, IMO, is the reason for this.

A lot of more questions will be answered after this weekend. After viewing if Vanderbilt is average or they suk after palying Mississippi, and how Bama handles Arky. But then we will not really know how good Arky is until a few more of there games. Georgia and Fl State do not look good at this point. Our first BIG test might not be until The Tennessee game.

I don't know how good we are at this point. But we're alot better now than we were this time last year. Only time will tell how good we are. But im sure we will be pleased with the outcome on down the road. Saban has a plan, he knows what he wants and he knows how to get there. The man is a winner and he will not tolerate losing.

A few thoughts...

This is the first time in many years that I'm not worried going into a weekend. I'm not saying I am positive we'll win, but I'm positive we won't be ran off the field.

I still have to go back to last year and the results Arkansas had running the football. We should have won that game, only we had a staff on the sidelines which basically gave the game away. I won't get into the favorites rant, but it was one of the few games you saw it demonstrated on the field.

If you will think back to the spring game, we saw a lot of true screens out of our offense. We haven't seen a lot of that this season. I expect to see it quite a bit this game simply because of the interior rush we are likely to face. As soon as we get a tentative nature from their DL, then, I expect to see a healthy does of the running game.

We'll see a lot more of the "Jack" position coming into play this weekend. It only took 2 plays to get into Nickson's head last weekend. I suspect, we'll attempt to do the same thing with Dick's head this game as well.

It's going to be a very interesting weekend to watch just what scheme we use on defense. I don't expect to be seeing the nickel package as much as we have the past two weeks. That being said, if we end up having a fairly substantial lead, we may fall back into that formation.

On the not so probable side of things...we've scored on our first possession, first play, two weeks in a row. When I think about that, the first thing that comes to mind is seeing Shaud Williams with his 80 yard scamper a few years ago at Arkansas.

JPW comes out this weekend. Big.

TerryP said:
A few thoughts...

This is the first time in many years that I'm not worried going into a weekend. I'm not saying I am positive we'll win, but I'm positive we won't be ran off the field.

I still have to go back to last year and the results Arkansas had running the football. We should have won that game, only we had a staff on the sidelines which basically gave the game away. I won't get into the favorites rant, but it was one of the few games you saw it demonstrated on the field.

If you will think back to the spring game, we saw a lot of true screens out of our offense. We haven't seen a lot of that this season. I expect to see it quite a bit this game simply because of the interior rush we are likely to face. As soon as we get a tentative nature from their DL, then, I expect to see a healthy does of the running game.

We'll see a lot more of the "Jack" position coming into play this weekend. It only took 2 plays to get into Nickson's head last weekend. I suspect, we'll attempt to do the same thing with Dick's head this game as well.

It's going to be a very interesting weekend to watch just what scheme we use on defense. I don't expect to be seeing the nickel package as much as we have the past two weeks. That being said, if we end up having a fairly substantial lead, we may fall back into that formation.

On the not so probable side of things...we've scored on our first possession, first play, two weeks in a row. When I think about that, the first thing that comes to mind is seeing Shaud Williams with his 80 yard scamper a few years ago at Arkansas.

JPW comes out this weekend. Big.

Good Stuff. ;tr

Pun intended on the Casey Dick remark? :lol:

Great post Terry! I hope you're right with JPW. He just needs to settle down but its going to be harder this Saturday. We can win so long as we don't play like we did last weekend.

BAMA 26
Hogs 21

RTR

Back
Top Bottom