| FTBL House v. NCAA Settlement - A few details in terms of what it means…

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
A little to unpack in all this, but keep in mind this is the not the end of the reconfiguration of college sports, just the most recent big step. More chances in the road ahead, but some clarity was given with this ruling (along with a few more questions).

Here’s an article with details for those interested.

Basically, the NCAA will pay out more than $2.7 billion in damages over 10 years to past (back to 2016) and current athletes. Schools will pay current players (via revenue-sharing) from a ~$20 million per year pot. No more scholarship limits. All 5 conferences and Notre Dame agreed. The settlement still has to be approved by the judge, but is expected to be. Revenue sharing will likely begin in 2025.

As mentioned at the top, there’s still a lot left to get ironed out. And it’ll never be the same, which I don’t like. But, at least it’s finally moving towards some conclusion, at least in terms of the overall evolution.

I agree with this. While Casey points to what happens to consumers I'm looking at what happens to a women's volleyball program.

The current administration has already started screwing around with Title IV. I don't see a bright future for a lot of programs; including some men's.

I just don’t see how this can be maintained year in and year out.
1. If you’re a good enough athlete to get nil or any other money then pay for your tuition.
2. Lower(and I do mean lower) middle class people won’t be able to afford merch much less tickets.

The greed you are assigning to players is found at the feet of adults who no longer play the game.
I’ve got a feeling viewership and attendance will suffer as people opt out..either willingly or because it’s no longer financially an option..the cost will go up bigly on merch and to attend games..

I’ve got a feeling viewership and attendance will suffer as people opt out..either willingly or because it’s no longer financially an option..the cost will go up bigly on merch and to attend games..
Viewership? I don't think so. The other things you've mentioned: we've already been through that phase.

In my opinion the administrations are trying to offset that cost via corporate sponsorship's/seating/licensing deals. While it was Bill Battle's wheelhouse, Byrne is handling it well.

Back
Top Bottom