* Homecoming is a week-long celebration each October featuring events, entertainment, and plenty of things to do
* Homecoming is also an opportunity for alumni, family, and visitors to take part in the unique experience offered by The University of Alabama.
* The University of Alabama tradition of Homecoming Week events will continue this week from Sept. 30-Oct. 6 with the theme “New Additions Tide With Old Traditions.”
* The traditional bonfire and Homecoming Pep Rally will take place on Friday. Oct. 5 at 7 p.m. on the UA Quad.
STARR TO SERVE AS GRAND MARSHAL
* Bart Starr, the Most Valuable Player of Super Bowls I and II, will serve the as grand marshal for the 2007 UA Homecoming Parade, which begins Saturday, Oct. 6 at 9 a.m.
* Starr was an All-American quarterback at Sidney Lanier High and a four-year letterman for the Crimson Tide.
* After his UA career, he was a 17th-round draft pick of the Green Bay Packers in 1956. His playing time was limited during his first few years on the team, but the arrival of Vince Lombardi as Packers coach changed his football career.
* Lombardi found Starr an intelligent and capable player. With his encouragement, Starr acquired the self confidence to become one of the NFL’s great field leaders.
* By 1960, Starr led Green Bay to the Western Division championship, the first in a long run of success for the Packers. Starr ended up playing for 15 years as a quarterback and rose to become one the greatest players the team has seen. He held several NFL passing records, including the
lifetime record of completing 57.4 percent of his passes over a 16-year period. He led the league in passing three times. Starr used his astuteness and skill to lead the Packers to five NFL titles and two Super Bowl Championships. He was named Super Bowl MVP in 1967 and 1968. He was the Packers MVP in 1966.
* Following his playing days, Starr remained with the team he built and took on the role of head coach from 1975 to 1983.
* In 1977 he was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Starr has won a number of awards, including the NFL Award for Citizenship and the Byron White Award.
* Starr was the man who made the Packers click and he will always be respected for his hardworking attitude and perseverance. Today, he runs Healthcare Realty Management and is Co-Founder of the Rawhide Boys Ranch, which assists boys in trouble.
ALL-TIME HOMECOMING RESULTS
* The Crimson Tide will play its 87th Homecoming football game this Saturday as they host the Houston Cougars at Bryant-Denny Stadium.
* Alabama has compiled a 72-13-1 (.839) all-time homecoming record, including last year’s 38-3 win over Florida International.
* The Crimson Tide is riding a five-game homecoming winning streak dating back to the 2002 season. Alabama has not lost on homecoming since a 35-21 loss to LSU (coached by Nick Saban) on Nov. 3, 2001.
* Alabama’s five-game homecoming winning streak is the longest since the Crimson Tide won six straight homecoming games from 1991-96.