| MBB/WBB Herbert Jones One-Handed Performance Helps Lift Alabama Past No. 25 LSU, 88-82

Kira Lewis Jr. and Jaden Shackelford combined for 53 points while Herbert Jones racked up a career-high 17 rebounds

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Behind the play of junior Herbert Jones along with the scoring of freshman Jaden Shackelford and sophomore Kira Lewis Jr., the Alabama men's basketball team held on to topple No. 25 LSU, 88-82, in Coleman Coliseum Saturday afternoon. The Crimson Tide (14-11, 6-6 SEC) led for 32 minutes on its way to earning the team's second win against a ranked opponent on the year.

The story of the game, however, was the play of Jones, who was playing with one hand essentially after having his fractured left wrist surgically repaired two weeks ago, which forced him to miss three games. Jones finished the night with a career-best 17 rebounds, including five on the offensive glass, to go along with six points, three assists, two blocks, two charges taken and a steal in his near 29 minutes of play.

In addition to Jones' performance, Lewis collected a game-high 27 points and four assists, while Shackelford added 26 points and a game-high five three-pointers. Junior Galin Smith had his best game of the year, as he finished with 10 points and six rebounds.

Alabama finished with 13 made threes to bring its season total to 269 makes from beyond the arc which broke the program record of 259 threes made which was set back in 2015-16 across 33 games. The Tide accomplished this feat in only 25 games.

LSU (18-7, 9-3), which entered the game tied atop the SEC standings, was led by senior Skylar Mays' 24 points, while Emmitt Williams finished with 13 points and 10 boards on the night.

Coach Nate Oats Postgame Comments

"It was a big win. We've been saying we needed another Quad 1 win and we got it. I thought our energy out of the gate was really good. I want to thank the crowd. That was one of the best crowds I have heard since I've been here. It hit a fever-pitch when Herb stepped to the free throw line after they intentionally fouled him knowing that he doesn't have his strong hand and wasn't able to shoot with it. With his weak hand he goes 2-for-2. It was unreal. There was a lot of crowd noise when that happened. I think it was recognition of the fact that he is such a warrior. He stepped up with one hand, got 17 rebounds, goes 2-for-2 with his off hand at the line. A lot of big plays from a lot of our guys. Galin Smith had some huge offensive boards, (Alex) Reese hit that big three and Shackelford keeps putting in points as a freshman. He's got no fear of the game. Kira came alive for us in the second half and really our defense had been pretty good all game. When Kira had to come out there at the end when he picked up his fourth, we kind of fell apart a little bit and let them back in it. Maybe I should have just left him in. I kept debating whether I was going to call a timeout to let him back in or not. I knew the media (timeout) was coming, but it's something to second guess. We won, so it doesn't look like a bad decision now, but it could've been bad if I hadn't gotten him back in there a little sooner. Big win for us, we have to use this to get some momentum rolling here for the last third of conference play."

Team Stats

• Alabama has now scored 80 or better in 14 of its 25 games played on the year, just four shy of the school record of 17 set on three separate seasons (1976-77, 1978-79, 1986-87)
  • After it's late first half run (closed half on a 15-4 run), the Tide maintained the lead for the remainder of the game
  • The Crimson Tide was outrebounded 44-42 in the contest, however, owned 23-17 edge on the glass in the second half
  • Out of Lewis' 27 points, 18 of those were scored in the second half
  • Junior Galin Smith grabbed a season-high six rebounds
  • Smith made 6-of-7 free throws, shooting 85.7 percent on the night despite entering the game only making 37.5 from the foul line this season
First Half

• Alex Reese knocked down a three to give Alabama a 7-5 lead before the first media timeout of the game at the 15:47 mark
  • Both defenses locked down over the next few minutes, as the Tide and Tigers were deadlocked at 10-10 with 11:58 remaining in the first half
  • A Lewis three-pointer capped a 7-0 run and gave the Crimson Tide a 17-10 lead with 9:47 to go in the opening half
  • LSU responded with a 9-3 run to trim the Tide's lead to 20-19 with 7:17 to go until halftime
  • With 3:56 left in the first, the contest was tied at 25-25, when Alabama went on its 15-4 run to close play in the opening stanza, and carried a 40-29 lead into the half
  • Jaden Shackelford led the Tide with 13 points at the break, while Lewis added nine; Jones grabbed seven boards in the first half
Second Half

• After LSU cut the lead to 43-35, the Tide used a 10-2 run to extend its lead to 53-37 at the 15:41 mark
  • A 9-0 LSU run cut the Tide's lead to 59-50, but back-to-back threes from Lewis extended Alabama's lead to 65-50 with 10:35 to play
  • With 7:14 to go, Alabama held steady to a 70-56 advantage on the scoreboard; however, a 14-5 Tigers run made it just 75-70 in favor of Alabama with 3:05 to go
  • A three-pointer by LSU made it 79-78 Alabama with just 1:32 remaining
  • Shackelford sank a three with 1:18 on the clock to give Alabama an 82-78 lead
  • After two LSU free throws made it 82-80, Smith secured an offensive rebound and kicked it out to Reese who drilled the game-clinching three-pointer to extend the lead to 85-80 with just 41 seconds remaining
  • On the following LSU possession, Lewis stole the ball and pitched it ahead to Shackelford, who sealed the win with layup with 20 seconds remaining
  • Alabama would go on to win the game 88-82

The Tide will close out its two-game homestand on Wednesday when it hosts Texas A&M in the two teams' first meeting of the season. Tip off is slated for 6 p.m. CT and will be available to watch on SEC Network.

Ok.....cheer...distract....but taunt coaches and kids ( players)....
Guessi just grew up in different era...of respect...
Whatever.....
Your generation hasn't been to a college basketball game in what...40 years? Chants, taunts, jeers, and cheers have been a part of college basketball since the 1970's...if not longer.

I'm curious though. Were you equally upset about "Take the Money and Run" being played when Cam was at Auburn? And on a related note, does the BDS version of "Dixieland Delight" leave you feeling the same way?

But...back to the original theme here.

Exactly what has Wade done to deserve respect?

In case you missed it the Saban's were on hand last night for the retirement of Wendall's jersey. There are a few clips out there as well as a few pictures of the Saban's and Greg Byrne.

This is not one of the better ones.

EQ4UWbKXYAAUgEC

Your generation hasn't been to a college basketball game in what...40 years? Chants, taunts, jeers, and cheers have been a part of college basketball since the 1970's...if not longer.

I'm curious though. Were you equally upset about "Take the Money and Run" being played when Cam was at Auburn? And on a related note, does the BDS version of "Dixieland Delight" leave you feeling the same way?

But...back to the original theme here.

Exactly what has Wade done to deserve respect?
My generation? What the does that mean? Really! Maybe thats why the bball fans at Coleman are disguised as empty seats on most game nights!!!!!
The game vs AU when that was play....take the money and run.... i was there. Didn't know they played it til i read it in the Ttown news the next morning. Try not to listen to the shit they blast us with.
As for Dixieland Delight? Agree with the University of Alabama administration.... the version that had it removed is unnecessary
The regular version thats on my CDs is great
I take my kids n grand kkids to games to enjoy a fantastic atmosphere. Don't need the profanity. Does it really add to ur game day experience? Wow!!!!
Don't know anything aboug Wade. If he is the devil how can he still be coaching and why is it our right to scream at him and taunt 17-20 year olds. Just my belief
For each their own I guess

Guessi just grew up in different era...of respect...
My generation? What the does that mean? Really! Maybe thats why the bball fans at Coleman are disguised as empty seats on most game nights!!!!!
Your generation = different era.

The game vs AU when that was play....take the money and run.... i was there. Didn't know they played it til i read it in the Ttown news the next morning. Try not to listen to the shit they blast us with.
Whoa! You're calling The Steve Miller Band "shit?" I get it that you don't like some of the music played but good lord man, that's classic music there. And, music of your era.

In that case, with Cam, it was nothing more than taunting Auburn. Did you have an issue with that after you found out?
Don't know anything aboug Wade. If he is the devil how can he still be coaching and why is it our right to scream at him and taunt 17-20 year olds. Just my belief
Earlier in this thread ...

I know subject....just........
How much do you know about the subject of players getting paid, Wade caught on tape by the FBI discussing offers about current players on this team, and the rest of the dance the LSU admin are trying to finish with the NCAA?

I'm reading this and interpreting it as you feel the students and fans should have treated Wade with respect. You and I will have to disagree on this one. A cheater deserves zero respect in my opinion.

Smart, who played 40 minutes in the game yesterday, was the player involved in the subject @#80 was referring to when he replied earlier. Here's a kid who got paid and he's one that should not be taunted because of his age? He's a kid in our eyes, but an adult nonetheless, who knew taking money to attend a school is against the rules. Again, cheating. Respect? None deserved in my view.

Or is it Watford you're upset about? His choice of attending LSU is no different than his choice to attending Mt. Brook. You've possibly heard cliches about how "money moves things?"

As for what you want for your grandkids...not a lot there I'm seeing that relates to any of the earlier tweets with students chants at LSU coaches and team.

(And just as a side note here...this is not limited to basketball in Baton Rouge.)

Your generation = different era.

Whoa! You're calling The Steve Miller Band "shit?" I get it that you don't like some of the music played but good lord man, that's classic music there. And, music of your era.

In that case, with Cam, it was nothing more than taunting Auburn. Did you have an issue with that after you found out?

Earlier in this thread ...

How much do you know about the subject of players getting paid, Wade caught on tape by the FBI discussing offers about current players on this team, and the rest of the dance the LSU admin are trying to finish with the NCAA?

I'm reading this and interpreting it as you feel the students and fans should have treated Wade with respect. You and I will have to disagree on this one. A cheater deserves zero respect in my opinion.

Smart, who played 40 minutes in the game yesterday, was the player involved in the subject @#80 was referring to when he replied earlier. Here's a kid who got paid and he's one that should not be taunted because of his age? He's a kid in our eyes, but an adult nonetheless, who knew taking money to attend a school is against the rules. Again, cheating. Respect? None deserved in my view.

Or is it Watford you're upset about? His choice of attending LSU is no different than his choice to attending Mt. Brook. You've possibly heard cliches about how "money moves things?"

As for what you want for your grandkids...not a lot there I'm seeing that relates to any of the earlier tweets with students chants at LSU coaches and team.

(And just as a side note here...this is not limited to basketball in Baton Rouge.)
Different generation = different era.....
Hey still my era....aint in ground yet.... long way from it...( I hope)
So still my generation...i just have more than a lot others....

Yep..know Steve Miller Band...but they blast us with such high volume at stadium....I really didn’t pay it much attention...as a lot of the "shit."....

So if lsu coaches n players..are so corrupt...why are they coaching and playing...not saying they arent...but?...isnt it against the law/rules...if we just have the evidence...
Shouldn’t be onthe court... i dont know on this one.... but stillis that the fun of going to a game??..not cheering yurteam...but taunting your opponents..not me!

Nevr heard of Watford!

So...leave it this...you go taunt...scream insults....hollar at the opposite players...
I will go.....cheer my team...respect my opponents....and realize its a game played by kids ( teens...young adults) .....
And provide a positive environment for those sitting around me and for those participating in the "game." ...no problem

@50+yeartidefan, I understand where you are coming from. You couldn't be more right when saying "you go cheer how you want to cheer." I differ from you in the point of how someone else cheers. I can't sit here and say "go cheer the way you want to" and then also question the degree of class a group of fans possess. It's an "I don't care what you do...but I do care what you do."

I do see a few things here that cause pause.

You aren't familiar with Wade, the FBI tapes, and the often used phrase "strong ass offer."
You aren't familiar with Watford's story and don't even know who he is.
Which leads me to conclude you also don't know about Smart and him being offered, by Wade, on tape, more than the NBA minimum.

Having spoken with a few that were in attendance you know what they said to an individual? There was no profanity—which you pointed to earlier in this thread. The pre-game smack talk (which happens in every sport out there) was directed at guys who are skirting the rules.

I don't mind Wade being reminded every time he takes the court "he was caught on tape cheating."
I don't mind Smart being reminded every time he takes the court "he took the money."
I don't mind hearing about a player, who claimed he'd been a Bama fan for years, being booed because what he said wasn't the truth. I don't mind him being reminded why he chose LSU. As mentioned earlier, it's no different than why he attended Mountain Brook.

I'm not one to engage in those cheers and chants but how I watch a contest is irrelevant. Insinuating the actions were classless or not of
"your era" simply doesn't fit. Saying "it's not how I was brought up" or saying "I'm not one to cheer that way" fits; perfectly.

Just as a side note...

It's my opinion, based on what I've watched for going on four decades (didn't watch basketball when I was a little tyke, ya know,) is the home court advantage referenced by coaches when talking about the student sections isn't pointing to "2, 4, 6, 8, who do we appreciate?" chants. Schools, and fan bases, don't want students close to the court so they can tell rivals "good effort." They want fans in their proverbial faces every time they touch the ball or appear on the court.

@50+yeartidefan, I understand where you are coming from. You couldn't be more right when saying "you go cheer how you want to cheer." I differ from you in the point of how someone else cheers. I can't sit here and say "go cheer the way you want to" and then also question the degree of class a group of fans possess. It's an "I don't care what you do...but I do care what you do."

I do see a few things here that cause pause.

You aren't familiar with Wade, the FBI tapes, and the often used phrase "strong ass offer."
You aren't familiar with Watford's story and don't even know who he is.
Which leads me to conclude you also don't know about Smart and him being offered, by Wade, on tape, more than the NBA minimum.

Having spoken with a few that were in attendance you know what they said to an individual? There was no profanity—which you pointed to earlier in this thread. The pre-game smack talk (which happens in every sport out there) was directed at guys who are skirting the rules.

I don't mind Wade being reminded every time he takes the court "he was caught on tape cheating."
I don't mind Smart being reminded every time he takes the court "he took the money."
I don't mind hearing about a player, who claimed he'd been a Bama fan for years, being booed because what he said wasn't the truth. I don't mind him being reminded why he chose LSU. As mentioned earlier, it's no different than why he attended Mountain Brook.

I'm not one to engage in those cheers and chants but how I watch a contest is irrelevant. Insinuating the actions were classless or not of
"your era" simply doesn't fit. Saying "it's not how I was brought up" or saying "I'm not one to cheer that way" fits; perfectly.

Just as a side note...

It's my opinion, based on what I've watched for going on four decades (didn't watch basketball when I was a little tyke, ya know,) is the home court advantage referenced by coaches when talking about the student sections isn't pointing to "2, 4, 6, 8, who do we appreciate?" chants. Schools, and fan bases, don't want students close to the court so they can tell rivals "good effort." They want fans in their proverbial faces every time they touch the ball or appear on the court.
We good... only minor points....i have said rest....
**** tauting shows lack of class...period... can be intheir face distracting ...making noise... all part of game.. but taunting isnt allowed on field ... and shows lack of class from spectators
*****dont understand how some body "convicted " of crime,....and player
"convicted "of breaking ncaa rules is participating in a ncaa...sanctioned event...
How is that so? Not convicted? Cam wasn’t convicted!...others?
***** I do care how the UofA is represented....and the UofA does also...thats why the vulger Dixieland song was removed... i think for most part bama fans ( have been to lsu game and their fans were uglyyyyy) conduct themselves well...
but...all said and said again...we good .... just perspectives..... me , you and others just disagree ( some even agree..lol) but ....roll tide together

Ok winning the LSU game I did not expect. Glad to see.

I think we have A&M, USCe and Vandy at home and OM, MSU and Mizzou on the road. Win at home and steal at least one on the road would close us out 4-2 and have us above .500 in sec play. Would that be enough?

Ok winning the LSU game I did not expect. Glad to see.

I think we have A&M, USCe and Vandy at home and OM, MSU and Mizzou on the road. Win at home and steal at least one on the road would close us out 4-2 and have us above .500 in sec play. Would that be enough?

It's such a fluid situation several factors what other teams do. Teams stealing at large bids in conference tourneys. I think going 4-2 is minimum and may need to win at least one game in SEC tourney. Looking back those back to back home loses to TN & Ark really hurt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom