Healthy diet

PhillyGirl

Hey y'all,

So I am trying to get back into athletic shape. I was a competitive swimmer (as well as baseball player, basketball player, and soccer player at times) for 13 years, and upon going to college, I quit to focus on academics and work. Since then I have gotten out of shape. Starting in January, I have been on a health kick. I've been tracking my meals, counting calories, exercising daily, etc. I've lost about 10 pounds so far, trying to lose about 10-15 more.

Was curious if anyone else is on a health kick, and if so, what you do.

Currently, I am practicing portion control, avoiding junk food (but allowing it as a treat once a week; Ben and Jerry's low fat Halfbaked fro yo for the win!!), and allowing myself to eat out once or twice a week (mostly on weekends). I also work out every day and alternate strength and cardio training. I try to do 30-45 minutes on average, 60 if I have more time. I am also down to about 1100-1200 calories a day. I eat slower, and drink a lot of water. So far, it's working out well and I am never hungry, which is weird!

See when I was a swimmer, I would pack away thousands of calories a day, I was always so hungry but always skinny and muscular because of all the swimming I did (twice a day, every day, all year round). So a lot of this healthy eating stuff is new to me, since it didn't matter what the heck I ate before.

I am also working on protein smoothies. Got a decent blender and some protein whey. Doc said I needed to up my protein intake for health reasons, so it's kind of a win-win for me. So far I've just been making standard frozen fruit smoothies (mixed berry, fruit medley, strawberry banana, etc), but I'd like to be more adventurous. Any recommendations?

I have been doing Body by Visalus. I exercise, but not everyday. I have managed to lose about 10 pounds. I need to drop another 15. The Visalus shakes are high in protein and they have a bunch of recipes that you can use. My standard is a chocolate peanut butter milkshake that is made with almond milk. It is about 250 calories. I usually have one for breakfast and one for supper. I eat what I want for lunch.

Nothing for me, I've changed my eating habits a little bit the older I've got. Try to eat healthier at lunch, usually eat some fruit with a breakfast burrito/taco's in the morning. Little exercise these days.

Being 6'5 it helps me hide some pounds, but I'm 240lb.

Back
Top Bottom