| FTBL Great game bama.....

Crimson Hawk said:
BTW- all barners aren't the redneck pricks you guys like to think.
Of course not....there are bad apples in every fanbase. You seem to be level headed, so let me ask you an honest question. You think TT is "a genuinely nice guy" yet he was filmed holding up seven fingers Saturday before the game. My question is, don't you think this a bit classless, considering how poorly AU played, and more importantly, how poorly they were coached? Honest question from a fan to a fan.

I don't know about classless. That word gets thrown around a lot and is used by every team's fans to get a rile out of the other team. We all have classy fans and those who should be shot at dark.

As far as what Tubs did, I would call it stupid. Especially if you are going to show up and lay an egg.

I have a hard time believing you would think it was "classless" if you guys start a run like that and your coach did it. It gets the fans and players fired up (and pisses off the other team btw).

Having met tubs several times and knowing some of the people he hangs around, I would without hesitation call him a genuinely nice guy, regardless of whether or not he held up 7 fingers.

38AUTiger said:
Crimson Hawk said:
BTW- all barners aren't the redneck pricks you guys like to think.
Of course not....there are bad apples in every fanbase. You seem to be level headed, so let me ask you an honest question. You think TT is "a genuinely nice guy" yet he was filmed holding up seven fingers Saturday before the game. My question is, don't you think this a bit classless, considering how poorly AU played, and more importantly, how poorly they were coached? Honest question from a fan to a fan.

I don't know about classless. That word gets thrown around a lot and is used by every team's fans to get a rile out of the other team. We all have classy fans and those who should be shot at dark.

As far as what Tubs did, I would call it stupid. Especially if you are going to show up and lay an egg.

I have a hard time believing you would think it was "classless" if you guys start a run like that and your coach did it. It gets the fans and players fired up (and pisses off the other team btw).

Having met tubs several times and knowing some of the people he hangs around, I would without hesitation call him a genuinely nice guy, regardless of whether or not he held up 7 fingers.

I can kind of understand where you are coming from here. I mean Coach Bryant got in front of the Auburn student section one time and acted like he was plowing didn't he? Its all good in da hood. Nobody likes being taunted when they lose especially at home but thats what makes the rivalry fun and thats much more satisfying when things switch back and we win. If we all met at the 50 and sang "I'd like to buy the would a $6.00 coke" and burned candles, well it just wouldn't be the same.

rammajamma said:
I can kind of understand where you are coming from here. I mean Coach Bryant got in front of the Auburn student section one time and acted like he was plowing didn't he? Its all good in da hood. Nobody likes being taunted when they lose especially at home but thats what makes the rivalry fun and thats much more satisfying when things switch back and we win. If we all met at the 50 and sang "I'd like to buy the would a $6.00 coke" and burned candles, well it just wouldn't be the same.

Where on earth did you get that from?

4th-and-1 said:
i think that if tubberville was on saban's coaching staff and wore that poo-eating grin to work at any point durring the season, saban would beat him with a baseball bat and have him blackballed from peewee football for the rest of his life..

Really, I knew Saban was tough but that's a bit strong don't ya think.

Additionally, you act a lot different when you're the boss than you do when you are working for someone.

TerryP said:
rammajamma said:

I believe it was in 72 right after he had called them a cow college.

rammajamma said:
TerryP said:
rammajamma said:

I was a kid in 1972, so it's not like I was at that game.

But, that is the first time in my life I've ever heard that story.

I consider myself quite the Bama historian, and because of that I don't believe the story to be true.

38AUTiger said:
I tell you what......How about I pull for the winner of the SECCG against the mockery of the Big 12.

Come on 38specialAUTiger, don't muck up a great post. My Son in Law is an Aubie, and I know he has been hurting this year. He loves the game.

There is an old saying that goes something like this.

"Enjoy the great times with humility. It will help you endure the rough times with humility."

All of us here, if truth be known, have had to endure the rough times longer than we wanted to. The ones that thanked you for your post have the humility it takes to be a winning fan even when times are tough.

Now come on how about a big RollllTide! for the only team in the show that is 12 and 0.

Swamptick said:
I think it takes class and guts to post like you did man. Thanks for the post and I know I speak for the rest of the board when I say to stick around! We ALWAYS like posters from rival teams who can come in here and shed fresh perspective.

Thanks again and see you on the forum!

Ditto.

Actually, I would think it classless...no matter the coach, & hope I never see a coach of ours do it. The "in your face" stuff is childish, & is not something I'd ever want to see from my coach......mostly because it will eventually backfire on you. Look no further than Lester the mad hatter at LSU. Personally, and it's as much a matter of opinion as anything, I really like the way CNS has handled this since he's been here. JMO.

TerryP said:
rammajamma said:
TerryP said:
rammajamma said:

I was a kid in 1972, so it's not like I was at that game.

But, that is the first time in my life I've ever heard that story.

I consider myself quite the Bama historian, and because of that I don't believe the story to be true.

Ok I got my facts straight.

http://books.google.com/books?id=-Q...&oi=book_result&resnum=10&ct=result#PPA158,M1

So it was actually 1979 and Coach Bryant had said that he would rather go back to plowing than he had to go to a bowl if he lost to Auburn.

Also want you to look at this
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVEpJg6EMBI[/youtube]

Coach Bryant was even saying that he thought that the side that wins should basically have fun and be about to brag a little. Lets not take this too seriously. If TT hadn't held up those fingers this win wouldn't have been what it was. Just chill and relax guys, don't take the fun out of it.

rammajamma said:
Ok I got my facts straight.

http://books.google.com/books?id=-Q...&oi=book_result&resnum=10&ct=result#PPA158,M1

So it was actually 1979 and Coach Bryant had said that he would rather go back to plowing than he had to go to a bowl if he lost to Auburn.

Coach Bryant was even saying that he thought that the side that wins should basically have fun and be about to brag a little. Lets not take this too seriously. If TT hadn't held up those fingers this win wouldn't have been what it was. Just chill and relax guys, don't take the fun out of it.

That statement, I'm familiar with.

But, there is a fundamental difference in a coach making a quip and a coach taunting a team and their fans holding up fingers.

As to fans, they aren't held to the same standard and they shouldn't be. Of course, the right to brag makes this series as fun as it is and has been.

Personally, the fingers, the statements, and all the other stuff Tubs has done over the years sort of just rolled off my back. It spoke more to him and his attitude towards the game than it offended me.

Not a big deal, in my book.

That said, I also truly believe fan behavior can cross the line, blatantly. Profanity based cheers directed at coaches, no matter who they are, is a serious character flaw. It's not enough to make me judge a fan base in its entirety, but it does cause a certain amount of skepticism when I meet new people who happen to be fans of rival schools.

Back
Top Bottom