| NEWS Gary Danielson explains his Jalen Hurts 'doesn't really know how to play quarterback' comment

• Thread starter Mark Heim | mheim@al.com
  • Start date
M

Mark Heim | mheim@al.com

CBS analyst questions whether Jalen Hurts could've made the play Tua Tagovailoa did to beat Georgia.

Jalen Hurts is 26-2 as the starter at Alabama.

So, it might be curious when talking about Hurts, CBS analyst Gary Danielson states "he doesn't really know how play quarterback."

The comment was made last week in the midst of SEC Media Days in Atlanta.

First, here's a little context. Danielson is a fan of Hurts. The guy has thrown for 40 touchdowns and more than 4,800 yards in two seasons.

"He knows how to throw. He knows how to be a good leader. He has great toughness," Danielson explained in an interview with The Tide 102.9.

"He really doesn't understand how to distribute the ball and see the cracks in the defense before they appear. He's pretty good at delivering the ball to open guys. He has a good deep arm. He's courageous. He's a great leader, but there are subtleties of playing quarterback that are unteachable.

"They come pretty easy to (New Orleans Saints QB) Drew Brees or a Matt Stafford (Detroit Lions QB) or even a Tua Tagovailoa. (Tua) sees spaces and opportunities out there a lot of guys don't see, even professional guys."

He added that doesn't mean Tagovailoa is a lock for the NFL, necessarily, but, simply, he the potential.

Hurts, Danielson believes, will stay with the Crimson Tide and earn his degree - play in some games, then transfer.

"Jalen has to learn how to play quarterback," he explained. "That means dropping back in the pocket, feeling where the pressure is, knowing where the dump offs are, understanding that certain zones are man, where they are most vulnerable, how to look off the safeties."

To his point, Danielson pointed to the game-winning touchdown in the CFP national championship game against Georgia.
You remember the play.

Tagovailoa threw a 41-yard touchdown to DeVonta Smith on a second-and-26 play in overtime to lead the Tide to a 26-23 win.
Danielson believes Hurts couldn't make that play.

"It's not quite fair," he admitted. "And I don't know 100 percent, but my opinion, but I think Jalen could've made the last throw to win the game. But, I don't think he could've executed the play where you look off the safety and throw with the touch. He's not there in his development."

Check out the entire interview below. The topic of Hurts starts at the 3:05 mark.

Mark Heim | mheim@al.com
Gary Danielson explains his Jalen Hurts 'doesn't really know how to play quarterback' comment

I have to agree with Gary 100%! I can recall playing the position in HS and I really didn’t know shit to be honest. I could see stuff as far as the run game was concerned, but not so much in the passing game. I found that out in the QB meeting room my freshman year at UA. A real eye opener to say the least. Seeing windows and anticipating openings, and even throwing a guy open. Some guys just get it quicker than others. I was still learning the position when I started coaching.

A lot of folks can't stand Gary, and I really don't know why. He has always been very good to me. Wasn't alive, but heard he was a very good quarterback and has the history to where he can speak on the matter. I agree with everything he has said about Jalen. The guy has all the talent in the world, he just has to show it on the field. His progression will come, it will, but it just so happens he has someone breathing down his throat to where he may start pressing more than developing.

A lot of folks can't stand Gary, and I really don't know why. He has always been very good to me. Wasn't alive, but heard he was a very good quarterback and has the history to where he can speak on the matter. I agree with everything he has said about Jalen. The guy has all the talent in the world, he just has to show it on the field. His progression will come, it will, but it just so happens he has someone breathing down his throat to where he may start pressing more than developing.

It was the stench of working with Verne the last handful of years... That's a heavy load to carry!

Back
Top Bottom