Garden - yr two

TerryP

Staff
@psychojoe

I was mobile when I got the message...even with voice to text "its" interpretation of what I was saying wasn't translated properly. I'm not sure if I want to blame the phone or the other activities of last night.

Anyway...

You've been to deli's that served you a sandwich in a plastic container, right? Normally, much like Chinese food containers, the bottom is a real sturdy plastic and the top a see through, plastic type material? The deli down the street has some for a specialty sandwich. The bottom is around three and a half, four, inches deep and about a six by six square.

It's like this one, but the strength of the plastic is freezer quality.

container.png

So...think I may have mentioned this to you. At the first of last winter I was in Home Depot and ran across a 50 pack of peet moss plant containers; about 3" in diameter and a little deeper. They were clearing them out and I want to say I paid 2.79 or something like that--bought 100.

Around the time of the NC in football I started tomatoes--determinate--from seed in these containers. I used the compost from the bin I told you about, planted the seed, watered and used some fish based fertilizer, and stored these moss containers in the food containers.

In a nutshell, portable green houses for starting plants, right?

The space this year is a little bigger than last year: 50 more square feet approximately. Same routine as last year in soil prep.

Right now, I've got eight of the determinate tomatoes in the ground. They've been there for about two weeks. I've covered them overnight once due to frost potential.

Cabbage is bigger than a basketball right now--three of those in. Two rows of Kale going well...about the height of a volleyball there as well.

Roughly sixty bean plants, sprouting, largest about an inch and a half high.

Everything else is in the containers, sitting off the the side in a spare room, growing their little asses off.

Remember the pollination deal last year? I'm planning on hand pollinating the squash/zucchini plants again this year...same for the tomatoes, etc. But, going for hummingbirds in one area of the back to give me a hand. After talking with @Bamabww about bees...working from that angle is just out of the question.

Sound like you're heading toward a bumper crop. Good for you @TerryP. Are you and your friend still debating building the bee hives you texted me about earlier?

Went to check on my dad this morning and this sunny weather has him ready to start on his tomatoes. He's (actually I've) been planting him about 10 different varieties each year in a tomato bed and all he has to do is water them. We have enjoyed some really good tomatoes from that bed.

TP, glad to see you are off to a good start. I have some seeds started now. Just put strawberries in pots. Looking less likely that we'll have another freeze so I will be revving thigs up.

TP, glad to see you are off to a good start. I have some seeds started now. Just put strawberries in pots. Looking less likely that we'll have another freeze so I will be revving thigs up.

I am seeing lots of bees and wasps around the neighborhood, so pollination won't be an issue. I was concerned because they all had disappeared around mid August a year ago.

I am seeing lots of bees and wasps around the neighborhood, so pollination won't be an issue. I was concerned because they all had disappeared around mid August a year ago.

so pollination won't be an issue.
It'll be interesting going through the hummingbird thing. They're said to be territorial. To what degree? Do the "feeders" just need to be out of sight from each other? Do beds (as in flowering) need to as well? Bottom line, would they share a garden if designed properly? (more length than width.)

From what I saw at an aunt's house years ago-she had multiple feeders in plain sight- they will scrap with each other, but you can have a lot of them around.

@psychojoe @Bamabww

Always read the label. You see that on just about anything associated with yard work, gardens, trees, etc. when you are dealing with insects, weeds...you get the picture, right?

Yesterday evening I go over to a friends house to relax a bit and the lady of the house points out she'd just picked up 20 quart sized containers with Snapdragons; 40+ flowers. I picked up one of those little tabs you'll find inside of the plants (often with the plant name, instructions, etc.) and noticed it said "This plant is protected from Aphids, Mealy Bugs, etc. ...then in smaller print "by Neonicotinoid."

I'm thinking, "..oid" as a suffix means resembling; resembling what?

So, I make it a point to look it up this morning and, to no surprise, it's an insecticide. I'm thinking this morning this is a lot like GMO's and food or seed: it's something better left alone.

Yes, those would look great around my house. The crimson variety was beautiful! One problem.

Neonicotinoids kill bees.

Buyer beware (or simply read the label.)

@psychojoe @Bamabww

Always read the label.

Neonicotinoids kill bees.

Buyer beware (or simply read the label.)

Exactly right @TerryP .

One of my nearest neighbors has a more than average size orchard with dozens of peach trees. After I started keeping bees, he had the foresight to ask me about what he should use to spray his trees so he wouldn't kill my bees. I told him to avoid the neonicotinoids and the earlier in the peach cycle he could spray the better. Most people wait until the tree blooms to spray but the spray is just as effective if sprayed before the buds open. And the bees are not attracted to the buds so no harm is done.

He told me later that he had checked with the county extension agent and the agent told him the same thing; spray before the buds open and read the label. So that has worked out well for both of us. My bees serve his peach trees and in return add the peach pollen / nectar to my honey.

All gardening activity has been on hold for the past week due to weather. I am so tired of rain. Lots more today and overnight.

I'm guessing I'm about 3 weeks away from my first tomato sandwich...been hit with a lot of rain here as well. It's delayed getting more beans, peas, and a handful of other things put in...likely will get that done this weekend.

@Bamabww noticed one of my best friends peach trees have started producing...prolly about the size of a golf ball right now.

Exactly right @TerryP .

One of my nearest neighbors has a more than average size orchard with dozens of peach trees. After I started keeping bees, he had the foresight to ask me about what he should use to spray his trees so he wouldn't kill my bees. I told him to avoid the neonicotinoids and the earlier in the peach cycle he could spray the better. Most people wait until the tree blooms to spray but the spray is just as effective if sprayed before the buds open. And the bees are not attracted to the buds so no harm is done.

He told me later that he had checked with the county extension agent and the agent told him the same thing; spray before the buds open and read the label. So that has worked out well for both of us. My bees serve his peach trees and in return add the peach pollen / nectar to my honey.

If I remember, aren't you up around Moulton? Your neighbor has good luck with peach trees up there?

RTR,

Tim

If I remember, aren't you up around Moulton? Your neighbor has good luck with peach trees up there?

RTR,

Tim

Yes, actually 4 miles east of Moulton and my neighbor has very good peaches. There are at least two commercial peach growers within 35 miles of me; one each in Hartselle and Athens. Peaches do well here albeit about a month to 6 weeks behind the Chilton County peaches.

Back
Top Bottom