| FTBL Free, Keep This Site Free

G

RTB is, to me, the best Alabama forum online. I know many of you feel the same way.

It is almost too good to be true. Almost. As the quality of this site continues to seemingly expand, one sometimes wonders when they will start charging.

I am preemptively asking that this not be done. It isn't about the money, either. It is about the principality of the thing, Smokey.

I could pay. I could pay to be a member of Scout, or I could have. But I wouldn't do it. I could pay to be a member of Rivals, but I don't.

Why? I don't know. I am 36 years old and I guess I just wasn't raised to feel comfortable about paying for something on the Internet. I pay for fat pipe access and I paid for my computer, but there is just something about paying for viewing a web page (insider's content) that rubs me the wrong way.

So, I just thought I would go ahead and put in my plea to keep RTB free. Keep it the best board and keep it free.

This is my thought of the day. Another thought is coming tomorrow. That's right, I have just one thought a day. :)

ALTIE, this site is free, it's always been free in the past, and it will continue to be free in the future as long as the current owners and administrators of RTB.com have anything to do with it. And when I say, "anything to do with it" I guess I mean as long as we're all alive and kicking.

FWIW, this site has had dealings in the past with the big premium sites in regards to various partnerships and such that would increase access for our members and allow RTB.com more facetime, but in the end we've remained as we always have, largely due to our commitment to keep things free for our members. We're not selling out or going premium at the expense of our memberbase because quite frankly, we don't believe in it. We started this site with the intent of being the best free site out there. We don't want to be the biggest. We just want to be the best. If we can be the best with 3,000 members and provide up-to-date material while mantaining a family or "small town" environment for our members, then so be it. We can live with that.

RollTideBama.com is, and will always, be free for the people. We'll continue to pay the bills. We're not going premium and we're not begging people to click ads like some sites do. We're not opposed to you clicking an ad or two, but we're not asking you to do it. If the members can help out, then fine. Regardless, we'll keep the electricity on in here and continue to look for new and better upgrades and options for our members.

Thanks for the vote Altie

I don't pay for sites. Period. Thanks in advance for the hard work guys. This is a great site, and "if you build it, they will come."

porkchop said:
ALTIE, this site is free, it's always been free in the past, and it will continue to be free in the future as long as the current owners and administrators of RTB.com have anything to do with it. And when I say, "anything to do with it" I guess I mean as long as we're all alive and kicking.

FWIW, this site has had dealings in the past with the big premium sites in regards to various partnerships and such that would increase access for our members and allow RTB.com more facetime, but in the end we've remained as we always have, largely due to our commitment to keep things free for our members. We're not selling out or going premium at the expense of our memberbase because quite frankly, we don't believe in it. We started this site with the intent of being the best free site out there. We don't want to be the biggest. We just want to be the best. If we can be the best with 3,000 members and provide up-to-date material while mantaining a family or "small town" environment for our members, then so be it. We can live with that.

RollTideBama.com is, and will always, be free for the people. We'll continue to pay the bills. We're not going premium and we're not begging people to click ads like some sites do. We're not opposed to you clicking an ad or two, but we're not asking you to do it. If the members can help out, then fine. Regardless, we'll keep the electricity on in here and continue to look for new and better upgrades and options for our members.

What you guys do here IS the best as far as I'm concerned. Sure there are other "larger" sites to visit but with that large member base comes a price, and I'm not talking about dollars either. You deal with much more BS than actual valueable information. What you guys do here is keep it level headed + filled with GREAT information on recruiting and very nice well-written articles by the writing staff. I'm glad this member base for the most part is a level headed bunch and we keep it pretty civil here while also having some hilarious posts. Glad to be a part of it!

Keep up the good work chopper and gang! (che)

To add, I also do not pay for sites like rivals and such. Just never saw the point when eventually the information will get put out. Half the time its already out anyways by other great free sites such as this one. a$#

porkchop said:

Porkchop, that is wonderful news. I very rarely think about the time and trouble and "expense" that must assuredly go into running a site like this. Sometimes it takes a post like yours to make the regular Joe's, like me, realize that the site doesn't just run itself.

The layout is superb, the posters are all reasonable and rational, and the information here is spectacular.

The whole site is like an insider's board, practically. I would imagine that a strong site like this one probably pisses off some of the big dogs (Scout - Rivals - ESPN) who want money, money, money.

Keep up the good work and know that many of us sincerely appreciate the time, the effort, and the headaches that all of you have had to go through to create this little diamond in the rough.

I am going to start making a habit of clicking on at least one of the advertisement links down at the bottom of the page everyday.

CtrlAltieDel said:
porkchop said:

Porkchop, that is wonderful news. I very rarely think about the time and trouble and "expense" that must assuredly go into running a site like this. Sometimes it takes a post like yours to make the regular Joe's, like me, realize that the site doesn't just run itself.

The layout is superb, the posters are all reasonable and rational, and the information here is spectacular.

The whole site is like an insider's board, practically. I would imagine that a strong site like this one probably pisses off some of the big dogs (Scout - Rivals - ESPN) who want money, money, money.

Keep up the good work and know that many of us sincerely appreciate the time, the effort, and the headaches that all of you have had to go through to create this little diamond in the rough.

I am going to start making a habit of clicking on at least one of the advertisement links down at the bottom of the page everyday.

Well, as far as the time and trouble goes, we have a good staff. That makes things a whole lot easier at the end of the day. Who does "free" recruiting better than Porter. I need to include Argo into this as well, but Argo's a bit of a new kid and still getting his feet wet. He does a nice job, but Porter has been doing it on the site here for years and is the straw that stirs the drink, so to speak. We have a guy in TerryP, who came up on TideFans as an administrator and probably has 10-12 years experience under his belt in doing so. Our writing staff is ever expanding, but that is due to the site growing and gaining interested members who want to contribute. Our mods have remained essentially the same for the last couple of years due to efficiency and stability. We have a great staff here. What can I say?

The owners pay the bills, the info guys like Porter and Terry keep things moving on all fronts and the mods are bored while the best group of members on the net bandy topics back and forth. You could hardly ask for a situation better than that. :)

We've got the best members and the best staff. We've got good writers. We're free, and are always going to be free. You guys just enjoy it. We're not opposed to you clicking an ad or two either, though. Your call there. We don't push it.

There are people on this site that work very hard to put up info for one reason, they love The University of Alabama. Period. The things that are hard to do when running a site is not paying for it, its trying to ask members to keep it civil without offending them. I always have a hard time with that because I know how passionate our fanbase is.

As far as paying to get on this site? Worry not. This is a labor of love. We all Love The University of Alabama, the team and everyone associated with it. All we ever request you members to do is spread the word about RTB. I am proud of this site and every staff member that works so hard to keep it going. Mainly I am proud of the memberbase here. That is what makes this site the best.

I appreciate all the kind words that you the memberbase say. Bama Fans deserve a site with integrity and the drive to be the best. I hope RTB can continue to do that for you all.

A few people that do alot here without merit...

Doemasters
Porkchop
Porter
TerryP
Kudzu
BamaBo
Bamafan4ever
BamaHeat
Tideboy
Rammerjammer
Reger
Bamaman37
It Takes Eleven
RollTideRandy
Crimson Pirate
rick4bama
TideCast people
BamasBallRadio
JSLayton for helping us with the sites look and
Our graphic people, Writers, Blog, Prayer and Recruiting gurus. If I forgot anyone I am sorry.

Most of all you the memberbase. Without you this would be one boring site. Thanks to all of you.

I will stop for now, but it is something I cant say enough here. Thank You.

ROLL TIDE!

porkchop said:

We, the staff, demand that our pay be doubled.

:D :D :D :D

porkchop said:

I love you Pork.

For my two cents, I do NOT pay for any of the other sites. Still, if this sight went on a pay basis, I would pay. I am glad I don't have to. Roll Tide!

Big_Fan said:
I just don't get any love :cry:

I wouldn't worry about it, B_F, 'cause . . .

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-KX3XuUXpc[/youtube]

:wink:

Btw, I just want to reiterate what has already been stressed in this thread and what the regular members already know.

This is one of the most informative yet entertaining sports fan messages boards in cyberspace. All members deserve "attaboys/girls" for their unique contributions, but special "thank you's" go out to mods, contributing writers, and forum hosses for their hard work and dedication.

And admin, thank you for making all members feel as if rolltidebama.com is truly their message board, too.

Carry on!

Back
Top Bottom