| OT Former Alabama Basketball Coach C.M. Newton, who rose to become most important man in American basketball, dies at 88 in Tuscaloosa

TerryP

Staff
Asking for prayers for my friend C.M. Newton - Coach Cal

C.M. Newton is struggling right now and in need of our prayers. As I think back on the positive impact he's had on my life, I am overcome with feelings of gratitude and respect.

I first met C.M. and got to know him when he was coaching at Vanderbilt. I was an assistant at Pitt when Barry Goheen hit a three against us at the buzzer in the NCAA Tournament. We ended up losing an unbelievable game in overtime. That was the same year Kansas, a team we had beaten in Hawaii earlier that season, won the national championship. We thought we had a real chance to win a national championship that season, but C.M. was a heck of a coach and coached an unbelievable game.

I got to know C.M. more when he was the athletic director at Kentucky. We can talk all day about all that he did here and he had to do to get the program back on point, but I always come back to how he treated people. He was supportive of coaches and committed to the student-athletes. He put together a program that allowed student-athletes to get in front of business people when they graduated, so they could network and find jobs. It was his mission to succeed at a high level in basketball, but he helped all of the sports on our campus.

C.M. also hired Tubby Smith, who was the first African-American coach at the University of Kentucky. I learned only after I became the coach at Kentucky and started looking more into the history of the SEC that C.M. basically integrated Alabama basketball. I asked him how he was able to have the courage to go against the grain in Alabama at that time. He told me, "I saw people as people. And I wanted to win. I was trying to bring in the best players. I didn't care if they were black, white, green or gold. I wanted to win." I have asked myself this may times. Would I have had the courage to do the right thing if I was in that same position at Alabama? I don't know. But I know this. He did. What is popular isn't always right and what is right isn't always popular. That is something we can all learn from C.M.

Here's another thing I learned from C.M. When I was at Massachusetts, we played Kentucky in Philadelphia in 1992 in the East Regional Final. The officials called a technical on me late in the game for being out of the coach's box and our team lost the game. After the game, C.M. and Mike Tranghese, who was then the commissioner of the Big East, walked by me. C.M. looked at me and said, "Cal make sure you handle this the right way." In other words, I needed to take responsibility for what happened. That taught me that it's important to take responsibility when you're wrong and even when you are not. You have to handle things the right way.

C.M. has always treated me as a part of his family. After a I became the coach at Kentucky, he always made a point to call me or spend time with me when we were in Alabama. He has always been willing to share advice and give me good counsel. His son, Martin, who I consider a dear friend was at the center of me being hired at Kentucky. I would imagine C.M. was in the background somewhere. He is one of the people I owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to for helping me prepare for and achieve my dream job here at Kentucky.

All of the Big Blue Nation should have C.M. in your prayers right now.

CM Newton is more than known and appreciated around these parts. He literally turned our basketball team into a national program. Frankly, I wished he had stayed as HC for a while longer. I wish he and his family the best at a time it's needed most.

Former Alabama Basketball Coach C.M. Newton, who rose to become most important man in American basketball, dies at 88 in Tuscaloosa

1528156466295.png

C.M. Newton, who began a long association with college basketball as a self-admitted backup player to legendary Kentucky coach Adolph Rupp and became legendary in his own right, has died in Tuscaloosa, where his rise to international prominence began as head basketball coach at The University of Alabama.

Charles Martin Newton was 88 years old. He was born in Rockwood, Tenn., on Feb. 2, 1930, and was raised in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. He died Monday afternoon at Hospice of West Alabama.

Coach Newton was enshrined in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2000, the College Basketball Hall of Fame in 2006, and the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics Hall of Fame last year.

Last year he was the subject of an ESPN Films production, “Courage Matters: The C.M. Newton Story.”

It is not lost on history that C.M. Newton was closely associated with two of the giants of intercollegiate athletics, having played for (and later competed against) Adolph Rupp and having been hired as Alabama’s head coach in 1968 by Crimson Tide Athletics Director Paul Bryant, who had been head football coach at Kentucky when C.M. was in Lexington playing basketball and baseball for the Wildcats. “Newt,” as he was known to Coach Rupp, was a member of the UK 1951 national championship team.

With Bryant coaching football and Newton coaching basketball, Alabama had the dominant two major sports in the Southeastern Conference in the 1970s.

And C.M. Newton became a great part of the history of basketball, considered the most influential man in the game. From 1992 to 1996, he served as the president of USA Basketball, and under his direction professional basketball players were added to the United States Olympic basketball team. That decision resulted in the 1992 “Dream Team.”

From 1979 to 1985 he served as chair of the NCAA Rules Committee. During his tenure the NCAA adopted the shot clock, the three-point line, and the coaches’ box. He was a member of the NCAA Division I Basketball Committee, overseeing the NCAA Tournament from 1992 through 1999, including the last two years as chairman.

In 1998 a survey done by the San Antonio Express-News proclaimed him “the most powerful man in college basketball.”

Former Big East Commissioner Mike Tranghese proclaimed C.M. Newton the best NCAA basketball committee chairman ever.

Although Coach Newton was head basketball coach for 12 years at Transylvania College in Lexington following a brief career as a pitcher in the New York Yankees chain, it was his success at Alabama that started him on to his way to halls of fame.

When Bryant was looking for a new basketball coach in 1968, he took Rupp’s advice and selected C.M., who had served as a graduate assistant while working on his doctorate at Alabama.

Coach Newton had made some news when he recruited the first black player at Transylvania.

That was nothing, though, to the transformation he made in Alabama basketball. When he signed Wendell Hudson as the first African-American scholarshipped athlete in 1969, it was the start of a rapid rise in basketball fortunes.

In 12 seasons at Alabama, Coach Newton led the Crimson Tide to a record of 211-123, and Bama became the only school other than Kentucky to win three consecutive Southeastern Conference championships (1974, 1975, and 1976). He is the only Alabama basketball coach in history to be selected back-to-back SEC Coach of the Year (1975 and 1976). His Bama squads were the first to earn National Invitation and NCAA tournament berths.

Although there were many highlights in his Alabama tenure, there unquestionably was great pride in his Bama’s team defeating Rupp’s Kentucky squad, 73-70, in the final meeting between pupil and mentor in 1972.

In addition to Hudson, Alabama star players in the Newton Era included Leon Douglas, Reggie King, Charles Cleveland, T.R. Dunn, Ray Odums, Anthony Murray, Robert “Rah Rah” Scott, Eddie Phillips, and Mike Davis.

He also had essentially the same assistant coaches throughout his career at Alabama, Wimp Sanderson, who would succeed him, and John Bostick, who would follow him to Vanderbilt as an assistant and to Kentucky as an administrator.

Alabama’s basketball recruiting suite in Coleman Coliseum is named in his honor.

C.M. was a advocate for introducing youth to the game of basketball and spent much time in promoting and teaching the game, often with his young son, Martin, demonstrating skills. Martin has followed in his father’s footsteps in athletics, now serving as director of athletics at Samford University in Birmingham.

Following the 1980 season, C.M. Newton announced his retirement, not planning to coach again. He became an assistant commissioner for the SEC. While there, he was approached by Vanderbilt Athletics Director Roy Kramer to become head coach at Vanderbilt. He became coach of the Commodores and led them to a 129-115 mark in eight seasons and berths in the NCAA Tournament in 1988 and 1989. Vandy became the benchmark of teams benefiting from the thee-point shot that was instituted during that time.

Meanwhile, his alma mater, Kentucky, had fallen on hard times owing to NCAA probation. C.M. Newton was called upon to become UK’s new director of athletics. He first made the successful hire of Rick Pitino as basketball coach. Among his other hires for Kentucky were Bernadette Mattox, the Wildcats first black women’s basketball coach in 1995; Tubby Smith, the first black men’s basketball coach to replace Pitino when he took the job as head coach of the Boston Celtics. Among his hires in football was taking Bill Curry from Alabama in 1990.

He was named Athletics Director of the Year in 1999. He retired as athletics director on June 30, 2000, and the football field in Commonwealth Stadium was named the “C.M. Newton Field.” (It is now known as “C.M. Newton Grounds.”)

Even in retirement, C.M. Newton continued to have a large role in college basketball as President of the NIT (which is owned by the NCAA) and as a consultant on virtually every major basketball coaching move in the nation. He remained active until his health began to fail and even then was a regular at Crimson Tide basketball games where visiting coaches made it a point to greet this giant of their game.

C.M. was preceded in death by his childhood sweetheart and wife of 49 years, Evelyn Davis Newton. He is survived by his wife of 16 years, Nancy Watts Newton. He also is survived by his three children, Deborah Newton, Tracy Chappelle, and Martin Newton; ; stepdaughters Laura Fletcher and Sherry Plott; six grandchildren, Katie Champion, Madison Wood (Andrew), Charles Martin Newton III, Joshua Newton, Sheridan Chappelle and Davis Chappelle; two great grandchildren, Charles Martin Newton IV and Sawyer Champion; brother Lt Col. Richard Y. Newton, Jr.; nephews William F. Bryan (Becky) and Lt. Gen. Richard Y. Newton III (Joey); and niece Catherine Ahlwardt (El).

IHe also was predeceased by sister Jean Newton Bryan, father Richard Yates Newton, and mother Adelia Martin Newton.

Services will be at First Presbyterian Church in Tuscaloosa with the Rev. James Goodlet officiating at a time to be announced.

With Bryant coaching football and Newton coaching basketball, Alabama had the dominant two major sports in the Southeastern Conference in the 1970s.
Not only that when Newton was playing for Rupp, Bryant was coaching the Wildcats in football.

*I've always found it amusing his first coaching job was at Transylvania College.

RIP Coach. You're one of the reasons I fell in love with the game.

It's hard to think of CM Newton and not think about Leon Douglas, Wendell Hudson, TR Dunn, Anthony Murray, Rickey Brown, Reggie King, Keith McCord. Those teams were super talented and dangerous. With just a little help from the refs could have taken it the distance.

Coach Newton introduced Alabama to African American basketball players and the hook up was glorious. People think Wilbur Jackson and John Mitchell were the first black athletes on campus, but coach Newton had already recruited Wendell Hudson in 1969 and he was on campus a year before the other players got there. He was a man ahead of the learning curve in Alabama and his time spent in Tuscaloosa was rich in results and frankly, made me fall in love with a sport I had only watched from a distance.

It's hard to think of CM Newton and not think about Leon Douglas, Wendell Hudson, TR Dunn, Anthony Murray, Rickey Brown, Reggie King, Keith McCord. Those teams were super talented and dangerous. With just a little help from the refs could have taken it the distance.

Coach Newton introduced Alabama to African American basketball players and the hook up was glorious. People think Wilbur Jackson and John Mitchell were the first black athletes on campus, but coach Newton had already recruited Wendell Hudson in 1969 and he was on campus a year before the other players got there. He was a man ahead of the learning curve in Alabama and his time spent in Tuscaloosa was rich in results and frankly, made me fall in love with a sport I had only watched from a distance.
My girlfriend and I were at a Bama basketball game where they brought out Big Leon (still in high school)before the game started for and intro on one of his recruiting trips....where have the years gone

Back
Top Bottom