| FTBL For those who are fretting with the after effects of Shulaitis, how does UT stop a Bama lead offense with Bryce?

Milroe's issue was mostly being too loose with the ball. When you take off then you need to tuck it. He was running early on like he was still trying to throw it quickly. Late in the game I noticed him protecting it more when he ran. It's all game speed stuff that he can't learn in practice. The INT was kind of expected with him needing game time work. 12 of 19 for 11 yards and 3 TD with 1 INT along with 83 yards rushing is not a bad game. Reichard did as much to cause the ending panic by missing the 2 FG. I still don't get why BOB seems so averse to calling those quick hitter passes that would help open things up. The few times he called something like that it seemed top work.

I think UT loads the box to stop the run, and plays aggressive with coverage forcing Bama to beat them deep, or to protect and pick up the blitz and make WRs beat them with crossing routes.

Hopefully Bryce's shoulder is good enough to play, and play effectively. UT will score. With Milroe starting, UT will win by double digits.

Milroe's issue was mostly being too loose with the ball. When you take off then you need to tuck it. He was running early on like he was still trying to throw it quickly. Late in the game I noticed him protecting it more when he ran. It's all game speed stuff that he can't learn in practice. The INT was kind of expected with him needing game time work. 12 of 19 for 11 yards and 3 TD with 1 INT along with 83 yards rushing is not a bad game. Reichard did as much to cause the ending panic by missing the 2 FG. I still don't get why BOB seems so averse to calling those quick hitter passes that would help open things up. The few times he called something like that it seemed top work.

I could not agree more with your comments. His first start, things will happen. The interception was probably as good as a punt, which we relied on heavily due to play calling. I saw no one hurt with that as it basically turned the field on a 3rd and 12, other than it being a turnover. Plus we got it right back a few plays later.

I think UT loads the box to stop the run, and plays aggressive with coverage forcing Bama to beat them deep, or to protect and pick up the blitz and make WRs beat them with crossing routes.

Hopefully Bryce's shoulder is good enough to play, and play effectively. UT will score. With Milroe starting, UT will win by double digits.

If Bryce can throw slants, he will be ok. I just can't see anyone allowing us to go deep knowing we don't have the same threat from last year.

I think Saban has UT right where he wants them. He almost gave it away with the smirk response at the end of the game interview regarding Byrce's status.

What's not being talked about is UT hasn't played a front 7(6) like ours. This defense has been built to stop offenses just like UT's. As long as we don't turn the ball over & control the possessions with play clock eating drives we should suck the life out of them.

Last edited:
If Bryce can throw slants, he will be ok. I just can't see anyone allowing us to go deep knowing we don't have the same threat from last year.

Conceptually, if they are playing bump and run and playing Cover 1, the opportunities to go deep will be there all day. Whether or not you can complete them is the question.

I'm not one to believe the notion that the WR corps lacks speed to take the top off the D. Bond and Prentice can fly. Brooks and Holden are the big, tall WRs that Tennessee has a few of that will go up and get contested balls.

I'm not sure where Burton lies on the speed element. If Harrell could play that would also be nice.

Tennessee is ranked (National only)
#128 in Passing defense.
#11 in rushing defense.
#33 in defense 3rd down conversions.

Now, let's look at their schedule:
Ball State 59-10
Pittsburg 34-27
Akron 63-6
Florida 38-33 (Should've lost that game)
LSU 40-13

Alabama schedule:
Utah State 55-0
Texas-20-19
UL Monroe 63-7
Vanderbilt 55-3
Arkansas 49-26
TAMU 24-20

Looking at Tennessee, there is lot of potential on offense, but I get a feeling that they haven't faced a real physical team before Alabama. Bama went to war with Texas, Arkansas and TAMU and those teams are physical and we battled it out. I expect Tennessee to try and limit the run game and make Bama pass since we've been inconsistent in that area... whether it's with BY or JM. Tennessee Defense in passing is real bad. We should have a field day with them.

One thing no body realized that Bama leads in pass hurries, and Tennessee has nonexistent pass rush. Just keep eye on Hooker and don't let him run wild. There's lot of lesson learned from last year, so apply some of it and stay on his ass.

Conceptually, if they are playing bump and run and playing Cover 1, the opportunities to go deep will be there all day. Whether or not you can complete them is the question.

I'm not one to believe the notion that the WR corps lacks speed to take the top off the D. Bond and Prentice can fly. Brooks and Holden are the big, tall WRs that Tennessee has a few of that will go up and get contested balls.

I'm not sure where Burton lies on the speed element. If Harrell could play that would also be nice.
He was at the practice, he was warming up on field... but he didn't play. I don't know if it was because Bryce didn't play.

There are still after effects of Bryant, but not Shula? Would DuBosian fret be more apropos?

Just teasing me to rant, aren't ya? That tells me it's time to get on the bike ... The world will wake up in a few hours.
The after effects of Bryant are all positive expectations. I believe that Saban has exorcised any Shula hangovers.

Tennessee is ranked (National only)
#128 in Passing defense.
#11 in rushing defense.
#33 in defense 3rd down conversions.

Now, let's look at their schedule:
Ball State 59-10
Pittsburg 34-27
Akron 63-6
Florida 38-33 (Should've lost that game)
LSU 40-13

Alabama schedule:
Utah State 55-0
Texas-20-19
UL Monroe 63-7
Vanderbilt 55-3
Arkansas 49-26
TAMU 24-20

Looking at Tennessee, there is lot of potential on offense, but I get a feeling that they haven't faced a real physical team before Alabama. Bama went to war with Texas, Arkansas and TAMU and those teams are physical and we battled it out. I expect Tennessee to try and limit the run game and make Bama pass since we've been inconsistent in that area... whether it's with BY or JM. Tennessee Defense in passing is real bad. We should have a field day with them.

One thing no body realized that Bama leads in pass hurries, and Tennessee has nonexistent pass rush. Just keep eye on Hooker and don't let him run wild. There's lot of lesson learned from last year, so apply some of it and stay on his ass.

There are yards to be had, no question. If Bryce plays, it should be a good game. If he doesn't, this could get ugly.

Tennessee's offense is scary. They are going to throw it deep to the outside WRs over and over. The DBs have to cover AND not interfere.

Tennessee has good RBs. Hooker is a great runner. This will be a huge challenge for the defense to play pass D and not let Hooker get those back breaking scrambles on 3rd and long for first downs.

I, like you, have stated Bond is our guy to take the top off. He is tall enough as well to make a difference like Jameson Williams, similar builds. Prentice can as well, but being smaller he will need to learn to get off the line and be able to separate. Holden was nowhere to be seen last weekend, and I hate that because I'm a big fan of his. Brooks, I love Brooks. I can't understand why we ever get away from him as he has been pretty clutch for us. It's a far cry from developed talent that McElroy, AJ, Jalen, Tua, Mac, and Bryce had to start.

I would adjust to say it has also been turnovers and penatlies, not just play calling.
It's not just play calling. I expected at least a turnover from Milroe due to his inexperience. That interception wasn't even bad. Seemed like a good punt. It was also the correct read, but underthrown. But Bill O'Brien has had tendencies to go away from what is working and completely throw off the rhythm the offense is in. His short yardage situations also leave a lot to be desired. The 3rd and two call that resulted in Milroe taking a disastrous sack is one example. The swing pass that hardly ever works put us behind the chains.

Despite this though, we're #3 in the country in rushing, so he's obviously doing something right.

You’re right with Milroe we’d lose because the coaches refuse to call plays that set him to be successful

Let's be honest though - It ain't like Bryce has lit it up on the road in big games even when healthy.

It would be fantastic if he played, if nothing else, for great leadership sake and the threat of some downfield passing. But regardless, the OL will need to pass block a little better to keep him relatively healthy.

The confidence I have comes from the D. The talent on D and RB is plenty good enough to win without a passing explosion. We all know the "implosion" has come when the self inflicted wounds occur (Penalties, TO's, S/T play). But I think the D is near turning the corner in creating some huge plays & TO's themselves!

Let's be honest though - It ain't like Bryce has lit it up on the road in big games even when healthy.

It would be fantastic if he played, if nothing else, for great leadership sake and the threat of some downfield passing. But regardless, the OL will need to pass block a little better to keep him relatively healthy.

The confidence I have comes from the D. The talent on D and RB is plenty good enough to win without a passing explosion. We all know the "implosion" has come when the self inflicted wounds occur (Penalties, TO's, S/T play). But I think the D is near turning the corner in creating some huge plays & TO's themselves!

The secondary is playing better in my mind. Arnold has been so awesome to watch. Even Kool-Aid looks to be turning his head more. We have our issues and moments, but if Golding with simply pressure quarterbacks instead of letting them pick us a part, we should be able to ride this team to a Playoff birth.

You also nailed it with Bryce. To no fault of his own, he just hasn't had the receivers open or the line blocking, and VERY rarely has it happened within the same play. Milroe isn't as polished as Bryce, no one is. Milroe has way more running talent, but will have to learn pocket precense, which only comes with experience. Either way, if we can dial up a plan and keep Gibbs involved, we can stay in any game with the way the defense is showing they can play.

The secondary is playing better in my mind. Arnold has been so awesome to watch. Even Kool-Aid looks to be turning his head more. We have our issues and moments, but if Golding with simply pressure quarterbacks instead of letting them pick us a part, we should be able to ride this team to a Playoff birth.

You also nailed it with Bryce. To no fault of his own, he just hasn't had the receivers open or the line blocking, and VERY rarely has it happened within the same play. Milroe isn't as polished as Bryce, no one is. Milroe has way more running talent, but will have to learn pocket precense, which only comes with experience. Either way, if we can dial up a plan and keep Gibbs involved, we can stay in any game with the way the defense is showing they can play.

Agreed. I've seen some disappointment for Arnold on here and I'm not sure why! There was some bad luck on that jump ball vs TAMU that went over his hands, but he's been in the right place almost the whole season. Hell, he's only a RS freshman... Only going to get better!

Koolaid reminds me so much of Dre K. Confidence through the roof and has a great feel. It's almost like his mistakes are because he's a little too aloof... Every now and then he's not as detailed as he could be. But in general I think they've both done a nice job, and Hellams is coming off a great game.

But at the end of the day, you're right. When there is pressure, all DB's are better. IMO the big step for the D is the way they've actually used the depth on the DL. Love the rotation last game and it paid off. Between the 3 pass rushers and interior guys rotating, those guys had juice throughout the game!

Agreed. I've seen some disappointment for Arnold on here and I'm not sure why! There was some bad luck on that jump ball vs TAMU that went over his hands, but he's been in the right place almost the whole season. Hell, he's only a RS freshman... Only going to get better!

Koolaid reminds me so much of Dre K. Confidence through the roof and has a great feel. It's almost like his mistakes are because he's a little too aloof... Every now and then he's not as detailed as he could be. But in general I think they've both done a nice job, and Hellams is coming off a great game.

But at the end of the day, you're right. When there is pressure, all DB's are better. IMO the big step for the D is the way they've actually used the depth on the DL. Love the rotation last game and it paid off. Between the 3 pass rushers and interior guys rotating, those guys had juice throughout the game!
They certainly will be highlighted Saturday......its their game "coming at you"

Tennessee is going to throw the ball deep on the perimeter a ton. Can the DBs pick up all the vertical threats with all the switch releases UT uses?

Can the DBs defend the long balls and not get burnt?

Can the DBs defend the long balls and not get a bunch of PI calls, extending drives and putting Tennessee in position to score when they could've gotten off the field?

Back
Top Bottom