| FTBL For those who are fretting with the after effects of Shulaitis, how does UT stop a Bama lead offense with Bryce?

It looks to cause much more confusion than the Leach Air raid at least. Alabama has shut down Leach's offense the last 2 years. Several other teams have as well, despite Will Rogers being one of Leach's best QBs ever.

I don't think anyone is stopping this Tennessee offense. Last year the DBs couldn't get lined up in time due to the tempo, and DBs got confused when passing WRs off when they used switch releases. Led to some easy TDs, one of them a very long one.

That will have to be cleaned up this year or Tennessee is going to be playing from the lead, and that will adversely affect the offense. The stadium is going to be rocking, and probably will be an even more difficult setting than DRK was when Bama played at Texas in September.
Alabama won 52-24 last year. Tennessee only scored 10 points in the last three quarters (all in the second half). The “easy TDs“ must have been in the first quarter.

If there is a pass rush... A real pass rush.... That deep passing game on 1st down could be an absolute disaster for UT. 2nd and longs, potential TO's, some real headaches if that DL plays up to their potential. It could be real hard to throw accurate passes under pressure, and the penalties aren't near as prevalent.

Do I expect the DB's to get dinged a couple times? Sure. Is 15 yards always the worst thing in the world? Absolutely not. All about timing and context. There will also be some sticky coverage as well... And in many cases, UA has had some flat bad luck in terms of WR's making outlandish catches.. That doesn't necessarily mean it happens on Saturday. If the DB's play well, UT WR's will have to be special on a lot of throws.

Regardless - Pass rush will be the deciding factor... It's important for the 'O' to control the ball and sustain drives, and obviously not turn it over.. That will give the D a real chance to apply pressure. And the best 'D' player I've seen in years is coming off 8 QB hurries, along with some depth around him. I'm pumped to see how those dudes get after it!

Man this is a pretty crazt thread and getting crazier. We are not chump change but if you read this board we have no chance. I will take Bama over the Viles for the 16th win in a row. Are they better than the past? Sure but Bama has the best coach to do it in the modern era. My money is on CNS, Anderson and BY. We have better players and better coaches, They have an offensive scheme that may be a challenge but Bama has not backed down from a challenge in years and they will not back down this weekend.

Maybe? He had 9 carries for 17 yards. Long of 5.

4 catches for 41 yards, long of 18 and a TD on a swing pass where Bryce checked down to him. Brian Robinson scored on the same check down pass, just to the other side of the field.

McClellan is no TJ Yeldon

It was more of his slippery and tough to tackle runs that got us a few first downs on 3rd down that allowed us to keep the ball and run the clock. It wasn't a monster stat game, it was more of his drive and ability to not go down on first contact. That's what I meant by him reminding me on Yeldon. Yeldon also never had a 75 yard touchdown run in his career either like McClellan has. It wasn't a direct comparison, just reminded me of their ability to always fall forward and get skinny when necessary.

It was more of his slippery and tough to tackle runs that got us a few first downs on 3rd down that allowed us to keep the ball and run the clock. It wasn't a monster stat game, it was more of his drive and ability to not go down on first contact. That's what I meant by him reminding me on Yeldon. Yeldon also never had a 75 yard touchdown run in his career either like McClellan has. It wasn't a direct comparison, just reminded me of their ability to always fall forward and get skinny when necessary.

Brian Robinson was the guy the offense leaned on to win that Florida game.

I'd love to see those runs vs UT to get first downs. I haven't seen him get the tough yards to convert first downs this year in the run game - he's always a threat to break a big one but again my point was that Gibbs is already that guy but better.

For what purpose? Last year’s team isn’t this year’s team. What they did last year is irrelevant to this year since the players, location/atmosphere, game plan and standings are all different.

The entire point was that the defensive scheme cannot pick up switch releases off stack alignment. Hyatt exploited this with record numbers. It was hilariously bad and the reason Tennessee won the game.

Tennessee will score over 40 on Bama in a rematch this year if the scheme isn't retooled on how they cover - from a conceptual basis.

They couldn't handle it last year, they got killed with it on Saturday, and will get killed on it next time.

the reason Tennessee won the game
It was the reason they scored so many points but not the only reason the Viles won. With ALL of that sucess Bama could have and should have won. I still think the tipping point was the 17 penalties. Without that Bama wins. The Viles still put up waaaay to many points but at least it would have been a W.

Even with the crap game the D played and all the penalties and miscues,,had Gibbs hung on to that pass at the end there, all this would be a moot point,,,,,,not putting blame on Gibbs or any other single player, but had he made that catch he would have probably scored and in my mind we would have broken their pumpkin colored hearts.

Even with the crap game the D played and all the penalties and miscues,,had Gibbs hung on to that pass at the end there, all this would be a moot point,,,,,,not putting blame on Gibbs or any other single player, but had he made that catch he would have probably scored and in my mind we would have broken their pumpkin colored hearts.
There are a lot of “what ifs.”

What if:

Reichard made the field goal?
Gibbs caught the ball?
The non-muffed punt was left alone?
The defense had tighter pass coverage in the last 15 seconds?
The defense had tighter pass coverage on 3 of 5 specific passing plays?
Alabama only committed 10 instead of 17 penalties?

I could go on.

It was the reason they scored so many points but not the only reason the Viles won. With ALL of that sucess Bama could have and should have won. I still think the tipping point was the 17 penalties. Without that Bama wins. The Viles still put up waaaay to many points but at least it would have been a W.

True, with all the bad that happened, if Gibbs catches the easy angle route on 2nd down in the final drive, he either scores a TD, or gets down to the 10 yard line or closer, setting up a chip shot FG for the win.

Penalties were bad. The fact that UT didn't get penalized when they should've, the bogus PT on the KoolAid pick, and the whistle negating a fumble were all terrible breaks contributing to the loss. One of those things being called correctly and it's a Bama win.

True, with all the bad that happened, if Gibbs catches the easy angle route on 2nd down in the final drive, he either scores a TD, or gets down to the 10 yard line or closer, setting up a chip shot FG for the win.

Penalties were bad. The fact that UT didn't get penalized when they should've, the bogus PT on the KoolAid pick, and the whistle negating a fumble were all terrible breaks contributing to the loss. One of those things being called correctly and it's a Bama win.
I am referring to the ones that were not questionable. Fix those and it is a different score. I personally hope the team is not dismissing their parts in those penalties. They need to look in the mirror and control what they can control.

Back
Top Bottom