| BSB/SB FIBA is using its new LED glass basketball court for the first time in Madrid this weekend.

That would annoy the hell out of me.
It depends on how it's done, right? I'd like it IF it were a little more on the "conservative" side with the colors.

The one thing I keep thinking about is how it sounds. The floor I played on in high school was cork with a poly coating. It took some adjustment when we were on the road hearing the ball come off of a tile, or parque surface. (I found hearing and dribbling to be closely related ... keep your eyes off of your dribble, ya know?) What does the ball sound like coming off of a glass surface?

It depends on how it's done, right? I'd like it IF it were a little more on the "conservative" side with the colors.

The one thing I keep thinking about is how it sounds. The floor I played on in high school was cork with a poly coating. It took some adjustment when we were on the road hearing the ball come off of a tile, or parque surface. (I found hearing and dribbling to be closely related ... keep your eyes off of your dribble, ya know?) What does the ball sound like coming off of a glass surface?
Basketball surfaces run the gamut. When I was playing, Pelham was the newest and largest school in Shelby County, and they had a new gym with a rubberized floor. Made you feel like you could jump higher, but it did for everyone else, too. We would go there for our obligatory single game in the county tournament. Wood floors with dead spots, concrete, asphalt, carpeted church gyms that would grab the ball (you had to toss the ball out when pushing up the court there was so much grab to it, but it created opportunities for creative entry passes), gravel, dirt, chert, I think I've played on them all.

I'm sure they can put a final coating to mimic hardwood. As the technology gets cheaper, I wonder if home teams will use it to their advantage just like end zone boards.

RTR,

Tim

Back
Top Bottom