Fellow Metal Heads

I know several of you have mentioned that you dig metal... I'm applying for an internship with a metal foucused record label, and I was just curious as to what sounds appeal to you, and what do you look for as far as imagery in modern day metal??

I like a lot of metal, most of which people would classify as "metalcore" though. The types of bands I really like are Trivium, old All That Remains, Unearth, Lamb of God, Born of Osiris, Amon Amarth, Killswitch Engage, and so on. Guess you could say I lean more towards thrash or so. I've never been one to delve to much into pure unclean vocals though I do love Amon Amarth, I generally prefer a mix of clean and unclean. As for as imagery I'm no super concerned. I'm not to big on over the top satanic imagery that a lot associate with the genre.

Thanks for your imput! I think that's the consensus amongst a lot of fans of the genre. If you are into old school thrash, I highly recommend you check out Speedwolf. They only made one record, but it's amazing!! Think Motörhead meets Stepphenwolf.

Amon Amarth is amazing live. If you ever get the chance go for sure!!! Cheers

I am old so my opinion probably doesn't help you much.

My taste in Metal leans more toward Motorhead,Judas Priest, Metallica (up to and including "Master"), Maiden, Accept etc. As I said I am old so "new" is a relative term for me. I do like "Jorn", Avenged Sevenfold (select songs), Malice, and I have given a listen and don't hate Killswitch, Lamb of God

i really don't get into most of the modern imagery. I either prefer the spartan, stripped down look of early Metallica shows or some of the "rock opera" look of an Iron Maiden show.

I draw a pretty fine distinction between Metal and Hard Rock. Much of what gets lumped into metal today actually is hard rock in my opinion. I really like "Five Finger Death punch" but do not consider them metal.

If I could have a "metal wish" it would be for Burton to come back to life, completely piss off the rest of the original members to the point they were as angry as they were in '81 and replicate the enormous hateful sound of "Kill 'em All" on some new music.

Never really got into it. I have enough shit in my head with out all of that headbanging stuff. It's not that I haven't enjoyed what I heard but rather had to concentrate to understand it. When it comes to my music I tend to like the stuff that calms me.

My taste in Metal leans more toward Motorhead,Judas Priest, Metallica (up to and including "Master"), Maiden, Accept etc. As I said I am old so "new" is a relative term for me. I do like "Jorn", Avenged Sevenfold (select songs), Malice, and I have given a listen and don't hate Killswitch, Lamb of God

i really don't get into most of the modern imagery. I either prefer the spartan, stripped down look of early Metallica shows or some of the "rock opera" look of an Iron Maiden show.

I draw a pretty fine distinction between Metal and Hard Rock. Much of what gets lumped into metal today actually is hard rock in my opinion. I really like "Five Finger Death punch" but do not consider them metal.

If I could have a "metal wish" it would be for Burton to come back to life, completely piss off the rest of the original members to the point they were as angry as they were in '81 and replicate the enormous hateful sound of "Kill 'em All" on some new music.
Kill em all is one of my favorite albums!! Your opinion actually is very relevant. There is a "nostalgic" market as well as a progressive one. The band I mentioned in my earlier post, is a total throw back to thrash origins. Good stuff right there Demigod!
The trend in pop culter IMO, is old is new and relatively new, is old. Thanks for responding.

Nice taste. Btw, you're welcome to come over to the new Woolly.

I hope this all blows over soon. Everyone wants to paint with a really broad brush, "RTBs are all like this" and "WAers are all like this."

Once upon a time myself and one of my ex-wives and both sets of in-laws rented a nice chalet lodge for 2 weeks. The first week was fun. By the middle of the 2nd there were hurt feelings. By checkout time there was open warfare and damaged relationships. That trip led directly to our divorce. I see many parallels to this current situation.

I listen to a lot of stuff that fits into the broader metal category (which really covers Hard Rock and Metal since there is a lot of flow between them). I doubt my input will be much help though because my tastes are pretty much whatever I like today. Current favorite playlist has Led Zep, Black Crowes, Ghost, Sabbath, Volbeat, FFDP, Disturbed, Iron Maiden, In This Moment, Butcher Babies, Bullet for My Valentine, Nothing More, among others. At 43 and many years of playing, I pretty much only dislike country and most pop music.

Thanks for your imput! I think that's the consensus amongst a lot of fans of the genre. If you are into old school thrash, I highly recommend you check out Speedwolf. They only made one record, but it's amazing!! Think Motörhead meets Stepphenwolf.

Amon Amarth is amazing live. If you ever get the chance go for sure!!! Cheers

Thanks!!! I'll check them out! I was able to see Amon Amarth live last year, it was amazing for sure!

I saw Avenge Sevenfold a couple of years ago. I don't care for a lot of their lyrics (music's...okay), but their stage show/presence was BAD ASS!!

I was there to see Disturbed. They did not disappoint. They're about as metal as I get these days. I haven't gotten into the aforementioned (speed?) metal bands. Still turning up Van Halen, Maiden, and the like.

I saw Avenge Sevenfold a couple of years ago. I don't care for a lot of their lyrics (music's...okay), but their stage show/presence was BAD ASS!!

I was there to see Disturbed. They did not disappoint. They're about as metal as I get these days. I haven't gotten into the aforementioned (speed?) metal bands. Still turning up Van Halen, Maiden, and the like.

Saw the two of them back in 2010 in Atlanta. First show my son ever went to. I was there to see Disturbed and my wife was there for Halestorm. Awesome show by everyone involved though.

Saw the two of them back in 2010 in Atlanta. First show my son ever went to. I was there to see Disturbed and my wife was there for Halestorm. Awesome show by everyone involved though.

Was this the Monsters of Rock tour (??...sponsored by Monster energy drink)? Halestorm was here, too, but they were on the small stage in the parking lot. They were pretty good.

I used to listen to metal quite frequently back in the day.I have more or less mellowed out a bit and listen less heavy-ness. I will still occasionally pull out a tape/CD from time to time to revisit the older stuff but don't keep up with the new tunes. Heck ,about a year or so ago I actually went ahead and got my hair cut. It used to be halfway down my back.
Mainly as my hearing isn't what it once was, I can't take in the full sound as it is meant to be. My hearing aids help but I still have trouble even when it comes to conversations.

Back
Top Bottom