| FTBL 🏈 Fall camp: 2024: Special Mic’d up Fall Camp Edition with Jeff Allen, Director of Sports Medicine. 🐘

Ready to see how the offense looks under Deboer. Been watching Washington last season and what different looks they give. Not a ton of presnap motion like we had under Sark, but there more preshifts compared to what we had under BOB and Rees.

Ready to see how the offense looks under Deboer. Been watching Washington last season and what different looks they give. Not a ton of presnap motion like we had under Sark, but there more preshifts compared to what we had under BOB and Rees.

Was that Washington offense Deboers’ or was it Grubbs ? I haven’t watched the games when he was OC like Indiana.

Was that Washington offense Deboers’ or was it Grubbs ? I haven’t watched the games when he was OC like Indiana.

DeBoer's offense with Grubbs calling the plays... similar to Saban's defense with [insert DC here] calling the plays, with the reminder that Saban could overrule when he wanted (which for him, was very rare on either side).

I've talked about how important I think Proctor is to this offensive line. I know he took his lumps last year, especially early on, but dude stuck with it and got better. Some may have forgotten too, he played in the Rose Bowl with an ankle sprain that would have kept most guys out, and he played pretty well toughing it out. A lot of his issues early on last year were the result of 2 things... 1 adjusting to the speed of college (and specifically SEC) football right out of high school. And 2 (which is related to #1), he was way too heavy, which slowed him down and really hampered his footwork and quickness. He reported last year at 390 lbs. Most will remember that then OL Coach Eric Wolford wanted guys bigger (even bigger than what we see on NFL O-Lines). Well, that didn't work out too well (though 390 was even more than Wolford wanted to see). Regardless, a new staff and new offense now requires a more "normal" sized OL. In Proctor's case, that means eventually getting down to a preferred ~335 target weight (he's ~345 right now). He's done a really good job of dropping much of the bad weight and reshaping himself. My bet is, he finds his way onto some All-SEC lists at year's end.

Looks they have updated Proctor’s weight. 369 lbs

DeBoer's offense with Grubbs calling the plays... similar to Saban's defense with [insert DC here] calling the plays, with the reminder that Saban could overrule when he wanted (which for him, was very rare on either side).I am
I am anxious to see how well Sheridan does. I would have no concerns about the offense had Grubbs joined CKD. With Sheridan there is some unknown. Just like DC's under CNS some were better than others.

Watched the UWS/Texas game Sunday night and Texas could not stop them. The UWS D on the other hand had issues.

I am anxious to see how well Sheridan does. I would have no concerns about the offense had Grubbs joined CKD. With Sheridan there is some unknown. Just like DC's under CNS some were better than others.

Watched the UWS/Texas game Sunday night and Texas could not stop them. The UWS D on the other hand had issues.

To me, it's more of a case of... how will Ryan Grubb fare without DeBoer? Absolute worst case scenario... (which I'm not really even entertaining, just saying to make you feel better) Sheridan falls on his face and DeBoer takes over for the year.

To me, it's more of a case of... how will Ryan Grubb fare without DeBoer? Absolute worst case scenario... (which I'm not really even entertaining, just saying to make you feel better) Sheridan falls on his face and DeBoer takes over for the year.
Not needing someone to make me feel better just saying we saw Grubbs as the OC and play caller. We also saw that with Smart and Pruiitt the D played elite. Later years not so much. Of course there are more than one variable that contributed to this.

Not needing someone to make me feel better just saying we saw Grubbs as the OC and play caller. We also saw that with Smart and Pruiitt the D played elite. Later years not so much. Of course there are more than one variable that contributed to this.

I know, was just messing with you. You're cautiously optimistic about this season, and that's ok. There's a couple of areas that I am as well... if I didn't feel really good about others, I'd feel even more uncertain. And I'm not expecting an undefeated regular season... so I don't think it's all going to just be sunshine and roses. I do think this transition from Saban ---> DeBoer has gone as well as could realistically be expected and I'm really pleased where things stand right now...

I too watched the UW/Tex game the other night. The one thing I wonder about on Offense is Milroe. I love the kid, his attitude, work ethic, leadership, desire....he has everything you want in a QB. I truly hope he has gotten better as a passer. He has always had a good deep ball, but short/intermediate routes have been sketchy.

Watching Penix......he reminded me of the second coming of Tua, and not just because he was a lefty. That kid could thread the needle.

From what I have read (mainly on here) and seen. I hope and expect this year (Jalen) to be much like when Mac Jones took over for Tua. Not the same QB, but still getting the same/better results. Our WR corp gives me hope. A great receiver will make a QB go from average to super star.

I too watched the UW/Tex game the other night. The one thing I wonder about on Offense is Milroe. I love the kid, his attitude, work ethic, leadership, desire....he has everything you want in a QB. I truly hope he has gotten better as a passer. He has always had a good deep ball, but short/intermediate routes have been sketchy.

Watching Penix......he reminded me of the second coming of Tua, and not just because he was a lefty. That kid could thread the needle.

From what I have read (mainly on here) and seen. I hope and expect this year (Jalen) to be much like when Mac Jones took over for Tua. Not the same QB, but still getting the same/better results. Our WR corp gives me hope. A great receiver will make a QB go from average to super star.

IMO, Jalen's biggest test last year was after the ball was snapped... his reads, progressions, can I/should I throw it? And often times with an OL that wasn't giving him the time he needed. This year, I think the big test comes before the snap... that's when he has to direct traffic and set the table in this offense, which makes the post snap process flow easier. The helmet comms should be a tremendous help to a degree. He's still gotta make the throws and all that too though, so far from an easy situation. Just different.

Milroe is an elite athelete as we all know. I think simply not having to worry about the dang snap by itself will make him a better QB. Add to that being his 2nd year as a starter and he should be one of the top QB's in the country. Only hiccup is how quickly the WR's mature and how quickly he picks up the new offense.

Milroe is an elite athelete as we all know. I think simply not having to worry about the dang snap by itself will make him a better QB. Add to that being his 2nd year as a starter and he should be one of the top QB's in the country. Only hiccup is how quickly the WR's mature and how quickly he picks up the new offense.
Just hope Millie got that “one arm shoestring tackle in the backfield thing” behind him this season😉

I swear, it seems like you look for death and doom around every corner. It's not there.
You are right Terry we are never going to lose another game and win every NC until CKD retires. Be real man there are things to look at. This is not saying Sheridan will not do great. Just saying he was not as proven as Grubbs. How is that death? Reasonable evaluation of things to keep an eye on. I am one of those prove it to me types not just read dang headlines.

You are right Terry we are never going to lose another game and win every NC until CKD retires. Be real man there are things to look at. This is not saying Sheridan will not do great. Just saying he was not as proven as Grubbs. How is that death? Reasonable evaluation of things to keep an eye on. I am one of those prove it to me types not just read dang headlines.
I'm going to go out on the limb here and say this: I've watched Washington Offense on the tape this summer, and I came away thinking that Deboer just upgraded by going to Alabama. He went from overall rating of 89 Washington Team to 95 overall team Alabama. All Sheridan has to do is call play to stay ahead on downs 85 percent of the time and he'll be fine. It's more of execution by the players.

I can call the right play, but the issue is players executing it correctly. How many times we've seen wrong routes ran, missed blocks, mistiming of the play happening, etc.. Really, if you're going to be worried about something, it should be the executing of the offense/defense. The players struggled with that last year.

Back
Top Bottom