| NEWS College Football Playoff schedule, dates set for 2024, 2025 seasons with field expanding to 12 teams - CBS Sports

S

SEC Sports

The College Football Playoff will expand to 12 teams beginning in the 2024 season, and the dates and bowl assignments were set on Tuesday for the first two editions of the expanded playoff. The Orange Bowl and Cotton Bowl will host the semifinal games, while the Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Peach Bowl and Sugar Bowl will serve as the quarterfinal sites over a two-day span on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day as the 12-team playoff era begins following the 2024 season. First-round games take place on the campuses of the higher-seeded teams.

"We are pleased to be able to announce these game dates today," College Football Playoff executive director Bill Hancock said. "We appreciate the efforts of all the parties involved in finalizing this schedule. This is the next significant step in bringing clarity to the launch of the 12-team playoff format in 2024. We still have a lot of work ahead of us, but this is an important milestone along the way."

Tuesday's announcement confirms the proposed dates that were reported last week.

One of the biggest challenges in the expanded CFP is to avoid the NFL -- the unquestioned ratings king in the live sports broadcasting landscape. As a result, the four quarterfinal games and two semifinal games will be played mid-week in order to avoid going head-to-head with NFL behemoth.

Below you can have a look at the official schedule and bowl assignments for the first two editions of the College Football Playoff's 12-team era. Kickoff times will be announced at a later date.

2025 College Football Playoff dates, locations​

First round (On-campus sites)​

• Friday, December 20, 2024: One game (evening)
  • Saturday, December 21, 2024: Three games (early afternoon, late afternoon and evening)

Quarterfinals​

• Tuesday, December 31, 2024: Fiesta Bowl (evening)
  • Wednesday, January 1, 2025: Peach Bowl (early afternoon), Rose Bowl, (late afternoon) and Sugar Bowl (evening)

Semifinals​

• Thursday, January 9, 2025: Orange Bowl (evening)
  • Friday, January 10, 2025: Cotton Bowl (evening)

CFP National Championship​

• Monday, January 20, 2025: Mercedes Benz Stadium, Atlanta

2026 College Football Playoff dates, locations​

First round (On-campus sites)​

• Friday, December 19, 2025: One Game (evening)
  • Saturday, December 20, 2025: Three Games (early afternoon, late afternoon and evening)

Quarterfinals​

• Wednesday, December 31, 2025: Cotton Bowl (evening)
  • Thursday, January 1, 2026: Orange Bowl (early afternoon), Rose Bowl (late afternoon) and Sugar Bowl (evening)

Semifinals​

• Thursday, January 8, 2026: Fiesta Bowl (evening)
  • Friday, January 9, 2026: Peach Bowl (evening)

CFP National Championship​

• Monday, January 19, 2026: Hard Rock Stadium, Miami Gardens, Florida

Almost the end of January for the CFPNC game. I'm assessing that the games will all start somewhere in August?

Found this if it was last years top 12 teams.

I can agree they are ridiculous. BUT, they remind me of the old adage, "A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work".
True true

But after a season of good football.....i found the commercial bow games...ie tony the tiger something bowl...plus crap matchups...plus decent games starting late on EST...
Didnt do nutin'for me...unless bama was in one...

Some liked bowls..some watched...but i rarely did...
CFPs....really....watched a few ...if i didnt have anything else going on....rare!!!!! But i tried to get them in my schedule...and havent been to bowl game since bama vs Minnesota in nashville

But excited about CFPs....12 teams...probably make those in ttown......or if bama in game but on road & close by...

At least you're saying it outloud now. You're a Bama fan, not a football fan. I get that. I'm not a Charleston Southern fan but enjoyed watching the DH against Winthrop Saturday.
Mostly. Yep

But probably watch more non bama games during season than most.

Just don't know what is about bowls.
The cf season is over. And they are just pretend games i guess.
Soooo... yeah. N. No

Back
Top Bottom