| NEWS šŸˆ Fall camp 2022 - Saturday, 20th, Tide holds second scrimmage of the fall

A personal observation.

If you've taken the time to watch/listen to the post scrimmage press conferences there's one thing no one has asked about. The defensive line. Questions about WR's, ILB's, and RB's have been in all three.

It's my impression heading into game week that the strength is found in the depth. There's been a lot of rotation in the three scrimmages.

We're going to see the DL in a lot of nickel and dime sets if we're going by what's been seen this fall. In another "if they're kicking today" we'd be seeing Byron Young and Justin Eboigbe with Tim Smith and Jaheim Oatis rotating in.

It's uncomfortable phrasing this. DJ Dale is "technically" a three by a lot of other teams measures. But here he's not really a twoā€”taking snaps with Byron and Justin a lot is DJ with the 1'sā€”so if you're confused yet, hang on.

Burroughs rotates in but he's not getting as much work as Dale is with those two. So, a 2? Goodwine, Keenan, Payne, and Latham are all getting reps like Burroughs leaving us with four, two's.

Do you see what I mean with the depth comment? We're lookingā€”in their nickel and dime packagesā€”at two "base" defensive linemen. They're running four we can call 1's, and four 2's.

Snap counts will be interesting when we get to week four, week five ...
Fantastic insight, @TerryP . Thank you!

It's a great sign that there is some young competition along with Dale. I really believe this will be a breakout season for Young, which should create some opportunities for his teammates.

Not the "flashiest" bunch in terms of what they've accomplished, but this will be a fun group to watch develop. As noted, they could be a seriously different/improved group as the season progresses.

Who is the 3rd ILB? Deontae Lawson?

The DL does have tons of depth but some of the guys running with the 2s need to step up. As Terry mentioned, I'd consider Smith and Oatis in the top group

Burroughs has tons of upside. He needs to make a move.

Damon Payne was a 5* DT who has barely been mentioned since he's been at Bama. He may have been hurt this year. He needs to make a move or get passed by.

Keenan is a huge body, and probably has a limited role (more vs run teams than pass game).

Jah Marien Latham is a smaller DT - about 70 lbs lighter than Oatis

Back
Top Bottom