| FTBL ESPN: "The weak schedule of Alabama in 2019." ESPN's FPI: "Bama to play six of their top 18, seven if you include UGA, and eight if

Max

the Tide sees Clemson in the playoffs.

2019 Football Power Index
1​
Clemson, ACC​
0-0​
12.3 - 0.7​
48.9​
88.2​
56​
29.2​
2​
Alabama, SEC​
0-0​
11.0 - 1.6​
14.2​
46.0​
20​
27.9​
3​
Georgia, SEC​
0-0​
9.9 - 2.7​
2.5​
27.1​
5​
22.3​
4​
LSU, SEC​
0-0​
9.5 - 2.8​
1.5​
11.4​
10​
21.7​
5​
Michigan, Big Ten​
0-0​
10.5 - 2.1​
8.2​
48.2​
21​
21.2​
6​
Oklahoma, Big 12​
0-0​
10.9 - 2.0​
10.2​
69.7​
40​
19.6​
7​
Notre Dame, FBS Indep.​
0-0​
9.4 - 2.6​
2.6​
--​
51​
18.2​
8​
Florida, SEC​
0-0​
8.3 - 4.0​
0.2​
6.8​
3​
17.6​
9​
Auburn, SEC​
0-0​
7.7 - 4.4​
0.0​
2.1​
7​
16.8​
10​
Oregon, Pac-12​
0-0​
9.7 - 2.9​
2.4​
35.2​
44​
16.7​
11​
Texas A&M, SEC​
0-0​
7.4 - 4.7​
0.0​
2.2​
11​
16.1​
12​
Penn State, Big Ten​
0-0​
8.9 - 3.2​
1.0​
10.4​
43​
15.6​
13​
Ohio State, Big Ten​
0-0​
8.7 - 3.4​
0.7​
8.7​
26​
14.1​
14​
Mich. St., Big Ten​
0-0​
8.8 - 3.3​
0.6​
8.3​
42​
14.0​
15​
Tennessee, SEC​
0-0​
7.6 - 4.5​
0.0​
2.0​
16​
14.0​
16​
Miss St, SEC​
0-0​
7.7 - 4.3​
0.0​
1.2​
19​
13.7​
17​
Washington, Pac-12​
0-0​
9.1 - 3.3​
1.3​
19.9​
29​
13.5​
18​
S Carolina, SEC​
0-0​
6.1 - 5.9​
0.0​
0.9​
1​
12.3​
19​
Missouri, SEC​
0-0​
8.1 - 3.9​
0.4​
0.0​
33​
12.1​
20​
UCLA, Pac-12​
0-0​
7.8 - 4.5​
0.1​
14.1​
9​
11.9​

The only reason OOC schedules matter to the talking heads is that they chose to not want to discuss the bloodbath that is the SEC. SOS will always take care of itself in this conference and the media knows it. It's why many so-called experts are picking 2 SEC teams again in the playoffs. The bottom line, even a one-loss SEC team, regardless of OOC schedule will be in the playoffs

The point is, there aren’t a lot of teams that want to play the Crimson Tide because it’s almost a guaranteed loss. Scheduling has obviously become a huge issue for Alabama, which is why it’s paying opponents more than a $1 million to visit Bryant-Denny Stadium and agreed to the two-for-one series with South Florida.

The other part of it is under Nick Saban the Crimson Tide’s already played nearly every high-profile program, or already has them on the schedule.

It has neutral-site games scheduled with USC and Miami, plus future home-and-home series with Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Texas.

Ohio State and Clemson obviously don’t want to schedule Alabama as they see it enough in the College Football Playoff.

So who’s left? Maybe Nebraska and some Pac-12 teams like UCLA, Oregon and Arizona State.

Last edited:
Ohio State and Clemson obviously don’t want to schedule Alabama as they see it enough in the College Football Playoff.

Man, you guys are just throwing stuff out there hoping some of it will stick. How do you know great teams don't want to play great teams? You give any power 5 team home and home and I promise you there are ADs all over this country that would take an Alabama game in a heartbeat. Texas, WV, ND, want in. The draw that Alabama has nationally and to come into a visiting stadium for the first time and fans will be eating it up with a spoon, win or lose. Georgia is loading up for bear these days and is projected to be a playoff team. They just missed with our last second comeback last season for the 2nd time. But Dabo has said sign me up and in fact, said he wants to play Georgia every year. Marquee games don't scare anyone with a competitive pulse.

Man, you guys are just throwing stuff out there hoping some of it will stick. How do you know great teams don't want to play great teams? You give any power 5 team home and home and I promise you there are ADs all over this country that would take an Alabama game in a heartbeat. Texas, WV, ND, want in. The draw that Alabama has nationally and to come into a visiting stadium for the first time and fans will be eating it up with a spoon, win or lose. Georgia is loading up for bear these days and is projected to be a playoff team. They just missed with our last second comeback last season for the 2nd time. But Dabo has said sign me up and in fact, said he wants to play Georgia every year. Marquee games don't scare anyone with a competitive pulse.
Right on... u take a survey of any competitive person. They want to be the best and you have to play the best..... Clemson is thumping their chest cause they beat bama not cause they beat duke/wake forest etc

You give any power 5 team home and home and I promise you there are ADs all over this country that would take an Alabama game in a heartbeat
That promise comes with ocean side property in Nebraska.

Having worked around the most inept administration you can find (Bockrath, Sorenson, and DuBose) I can tell you that Bama had a difficult time scheduling teams when the program was at its lowest point. But, no. The point of me knowing this, first hand, leads to promises like this one?

I questioned Bockrath when he told me so. He went through what I'd almost call a litany: no interest, no interest, and no interest.
I believed Coach Moore. What reason would he have to lie?
We've seen the statement about the difficulties from Coach Moore, Coach Battle, Coach Saban, and our Athletic Director. But, then again, we have your promise that AD's all over the country are willing and ready.

It's not the case.
The point is, there aren’t a lot of teams that want to play the Crimson Tide because it’s almost a guaranteed loss.
And now, you're calling a guy out that's been covering the Tide for what? Two decades now? And he's wrong as well?

Having worked around the most inept administration you can find (Bockrath, Sorenson, and DuBose) I can tell you that Bama had a difficult time scheduling teams when the program was at its lowest point. But, no. The point of me knowing this, first hand, leads to promises like this one?

I questioned Bockrath when he told me so. He went through what I'd almost call a litany: no interest, no interest, and no interest.
I believed Coach Moore. What reason would he have to lie?
We've seen the statement about the difficulties from Coach Moore, Coach Battle, Coach Saban, and our Athletic Director. But, then again, we have your promise that AD's all over the country are willing and ready.

Are we discussing home and home or are we discussing Alabama trying to manipulate a football schedule that includes built-in advantages like neutral site games and FCS opponents and always scheduling home games vs midtier teams?

Do I think Alabama is having difficulty scheduling home and home against elite power 5 teams? No, not any more than Ohio State, Oklahoma, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, etc. Logic would dictate that some schools that are struggling with their programs are not up for the beatdown that might be coming, but big boys playing big boys? No.

We just signed up for a home and home with Oklahoma for what years? The 2032-2033 seasons. That would suggest that both Oklahoma and Alabama are now, at this moment in time, trying to slot in powerful power 5 teams to play home and home almost 15 years in advance. I should be so fortunate to have their problems filling out a football schedule.

The only reason OOC schedules matter to the talking heads is that they chose to not want to discuss the bloodbath that is the SEC. SOS will always take care of itself in this conference and the media knows it. It's why many so-called experts are picking 2 SEC teams again in the playoffs.
It's also why other conferences want us to play 9 conference games... one extra "hard" game for us to get even more beat up and give them more of a chance to get their team into the playoffs...

It's also why other conferences want us to play 9 conference games... one extra "hard" game for us to get even more beat up and give them more of a chance to get their team into the playoffs...

The SEC "bloodbath" is no secret outside the conference. The same talking heads are projecting 2 SEC teams going to the playoffs for that very reason. What people think will happen and what actually occurs is usually all together different. A few years back it was the BCS that was broken and it was decided right after Alabama vs LSU for the title was played. So the brainiacs concluded we will go to a 4 team playoff. Now logic should have dictated that the strongest conference playing the toughest game would have twice the chance to now get into the new playoff. Surprise, Alabama vs Georgia 2017. The playoff committee knows the best teams when they 'see" the best teams.

Now big talk about 8 team playoff. Do they realize the best conference and deepest now has twice the opportunity again to get multiple teams into the new proposed playoff?

So why should the SEC fear a 9 game schedule? More SOS, more great games. The playoff committee has never failed to see who Alabama is as power, even when we failed to make the SECCG. 9 conference games will only continue to help them see who the best teams in the country are.

Even a 2 loss team.

Are we discussing home and home or are we discussing Alabama trying to manipulate a football schedule that includes built-in advantages like neutral site games and FCS opponents and always scheduling home games vs midtier teams?
I made it through the first sentence and, again, we're asking, "What?"

How is it a built in advantage to play in a neutral field?

Do I think Alabama is having difficulty scheduling home and home against elite power 5 teams? No, not any more than Ohio State, Oklahoma, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, etc. Logic would dictate that some schools that are struggling with their programs are not up for the beatdown that might be coming, but big boys playing big boys? No.

And how is their schedule better than Bama's?
We just signed up for a home and home with Oklahoma for what years? The 2032-2033 seasons. That would suggest that both Oklahoma and Alabama are now, at this moment in time, trying to slot in powerful power 5 teams to play home and home almost 15 years in advance. I should be so fortunate to have their problems filling out a football schedule.
You would be fortunate to understand scheduling.

I'm literally wondering what on earth you're looking at. You mention UGA...

They have Texas on their schedule. Bama as well.
Clemson, Bama has done that.
Florida State. Oh, we just saw that.
Oregon? Bama took a step down scheduling USC.

You're lauding UGA and at the same time critiquing Bama and OU in 2032? While UGA has OU scheduled the same year? (And believe you me...one of those games will be rescheduled.)

I made it through the first sentence and, again, we're asking, "What?"

How is it a built in advantage to play in a neutral field?

So, the big question remains. Are we discussing home and home? I am and your not.

You would be fortunate to understand scheduling.

I'm literally wondering what on earth you're looking at. You mention UGA...

They have Texas on their schedule. Bama as well.
Clemson, Bama has done that.
Florida State. Oh, we just saw that.
Oregon? Bama took a step down scheduling USC.

You're lauding UGA and at the same time critiquing Bama and OU in 2032? While UGA has OU scheduled the same year? (And believe you me...one of those games will be rescheduled.)

I understand that our home and home is now staggering elite teams in and we are adding elite teams up to the year 2033. Almost 15 years in advance. So I'm concluding that we don't have a problem scheduling elite teams for a home and home series. Not sure why that's not clear to you?

And on another of your off the main point comments. Not sure what Georgia has to do with our home and home? My point was Dabo's statement that he would like to schedule Georgia every year. So I would say that was more of a compliment to him.

So why should the SEC fear a 9 game schedule? More SOS, more great games. The playoff committee has never failed to see who Alabama is as power, even when we failed to make the SECCG. 9 conference games will only continue to help them see who the best teams in the country are.

Even a 2 loss team.

They shouldn't... never said they should. I actually prefer it.

However, other conferences would love for the SEC teams to have an additional hard game to help wear them down even more and maybe even give them an extra loss. Where they may play a 9 game conference schedule already, it doesn't equate to a 9 game SEC schedule in terms of SOS... at least most of the time.

So, the big question remains. Are we discussing home and home? I am and your not.

I understand that our home and home is now staggering elite teams in and we are adding elite teams up to the year 2033. Almost 15 years in advance. So I'm concluding that we don't have a problem scheduling elite teams for a home and home series. Not sure why that's not clear to you?

And on another of your off the main point comments. Not sure what Georgia has to do with our home and home? My point was Dabo's statement that he would like to schedule Georgia every year. So I would say that was more of a compliment to him.
Of course Dabo would say that, what else do you think he’d say to the media? “No thanks we don’t want to play them” “Nope we don’t want to play them we only want to play college of Old Spice”. Saban has said he wants to play the top teams every year hence why he’s stated several times power 5 should play power 5.

If you don’t think Alabama has a tough scheduling the elite I’ve got ocean front volcanic property in Wyoming for sale. Teams trying/hoping to get into the playoffs are not interested in scheduling teams that’s almost a guaranteed loss

Of course Dabo would say that, what else do you think he’d say to the media? “No thanks we don’t want to play them” “Nope we don’t want to play them we only want to play college of Old Spice”. Saban has said he wants to play the top teams every year hence why he’s stated several times power 5 should play power 5.

If you don’t think Alabama has a tough scheduling the elite I’ve got ocean front volcanic property in Wyoming for sale. Teams trying/hoping to get into the playoffs are not interested in scheduling teams that’s almost a guaranteed loss
But a loss early to an elite shouldn’t kill ur chances if u are a playoff caliber team....
Lots are willing to play off teams early in schedule.....
Bama has played great early ooc games....lots others too....
Michigan-ND
AnM- Clemson
Etc....
Bamas is just watered down by 3 patsies later...as ,any others are

You sound a little cynical these days. Do you know the actual history between these 2 teams? Georgia and Clemson have already played each other 64 times. As recently as 2013-14 they had a home and home. They just signed up to play each other in Atlanta. It was the Clemson AD who publicly came out behind Dabo's comments and said they were working hard to get the resumption of this rivalry going again. Now, whether that's something Kirby wants every year, I have my doubts.

I don't honestly see any reason Alabama would have any more difficulty scheduling elite teams in a home and home than Ohio State, Georgia, Michigan, Oklahoma, and a host of others. Bama is scheduling only one of those OOC schools each year. It's not that big a deal. It's no wonder we are up to the year 2033 in slotting them in.

You sound a little cynical these days. Do you know the actual history between these 2 teams? Georgia and Clemson have already played each other 64 times. As recently as 2013-14 they had a home and home. They just signed up to play each other in Atlanta. It was the Clemson AD who publicly came out behind Dabo's comments and said they were working hard to get the resumption of this rivalry going again. Now, whether that's something Kirby wants every year, I have my doubts.

I don't honestly see any reason Alabama would have any more difficulty scheduling elite teams in a home and home than Ohio State, Georgia, Michigan, Oklahoma, and a host of others. Bama is scheduling only one of those OOC schools each year. It's not that big a deal. It's no wonder we are up to the year 2033 in slotting them in.
In the last 10 years who’s been Alabama or those teams? Alabama should only schedule one of those OCC each year because their conference schedule is 3 times harder than all of those teams except Georgia, but let’s not act like those other teams don’t play the same pansy OCC teams that Bama does

In the last 10 years who’s been Alabama or those teams? Alabama should only schedule one of those OCC each year because their conference schedule is 3 times harder than all of those teams except Georgia, but let’s not act like those other teams don’t play the same pansy OCC teams that Bama does

The flood gates have opened on home and home it seems these days. I also should mention that Georgia and Clemson also have a scheduled home and home coming up in a few years, beyond their neutral site game. Georgia also recently signed up for a home and home with Oklahoma. And that is why I don't think Kirby will sign up for a Clemson series every year. He's already locked into GaTech every year so it looks like Georgia is trying to schedule some variety in their OOC marquee game. The Dawgs have got 2 OOC power 5 teams on their schedule for the foreseeable future, I'll give them credit where credit is due.

As far as Bama is concerned I wasn't discussing what other teams should do. Merely some of the lame excuses that at times gets tossed around about our OOC schedule and somehow it's beyond our control. When pigs fly.

As far as Bama is concerned I wasn't discussing what other teams should do. Merely some of the lame excuses that at times gets tossed around about our OOC schedule and somehow it's beyond our control. When pigs fly.
And again, don't cling to a mistake just because you've spent a lot of time making it.

For a guy who can discuss football, you certainly have become adept at ignoring the truth.

Back
Top Bottom