| FTBL ESPN killing 150 more jobs this morning

More bad news could be on the horizon for ESPN. Staffers at the Worldwide Leader in Sports are bracing for another possible round of layoffs late this year, multiple sources tell Sporting News.

The next round of cutbacks could come down in late November or early December, with 40-60 positions potentially being impacted, according to sources. The layoffs could hit both on-air TV/radio talent and behind-the-scenes production staffers.

"This time it won't matter if you're 'liked' or not. It's not going to be pretty," one source warned.

Another source expects the flagship "SportsCenter" franchise to lose people in front of and behind the camera. "I see (ESPN) going down a path where they have less staff — and hire more production companies to provide programs and fill air time."

ESPN declined to comment.

ESPN is like the NFL of sports media: It's so big that competitors such as Fox Sports' FS1 would kill to have its ratings/audiences.

Through Week 7 of the 2017 season, ESPN's "Monday Night Football" was the lone NFL TV package up in ratings, according to Austin Karp of SportsBusiness Daily. In September, ESPN's "First Take" with Stephen A. Smith, Max Kellerman and Molly Qerim tripled the TV audience of FS1's rival "Undisputed" with Skip Bayless, Shannon Sharpe and Joy Taylor (461,000 vs. 150,000 average viewers). With 96.9 million digital users, ESPN had five times as many unique viewers in September as Fox Sports.

ESPN is still able to lure top talent from rivals, such as Katie Nolan of Fox and NHL blogger/editor Greg Wyshynski of Yahoo Sports. And ESPN has few rivals in storytelling (a recent example being Tom Rinaldi's touching "SportsCenter" feature about quarterback Carson Wentz of the Eagles and the 10-year old "Dutch Destroyer.")

But ESPN is struggling from the triple-whammy of a shrinking subscriber base, expensive billion-dollar TV rights for the NFL, NBA and other sports, and bloated talent costs. The network pays $1.9 billion annually for "Monday Night Football" and another $1.4 billion for the NBA. Don't forget ESPN is still paying millions of dollars in severance costs to many of the 100 anchors/reporters laid off in late April.

To the frustration of many ESPN insiders, the network also seems to keep shooting itself in the foot from a PR standpoint.

On Monday, president John Skipper cancelled the TV show "Barstool Van Talk" after a single 1 a.m. ET episode that averaged 88,000 viewers. The move came after a mini-mutiny led by Samantha Ponder, who succeeded the legendary Chris Berman as the high-profile host of "Sunday NFL Countdown" this year. In a statement, Skipper said he "erred" in believing ESPN could separate "Barstool Van Talk" from content on the Barstool site. But Barstool's David Portnoy countered ESPN knew exactly what its new partner was all about.

Meanwhile, Jemele Hill returned to co-host the 6 p.m. ET "SportsCenter" Monday after a two-week suspension for repeatedly violating the network's social media guidelines. Hill's suspension was paid, according to ESPN book author Jim Miller.

Her suspension came after Hill tweeted about a possible boycott of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones' sponsors on Twitter. She previously sparked a firestorm by calling President Donald Trump is a "white supremacist." Trump demanded Hill and ESPN apologize, while bashing the network's alleged left-wing politics, "bad programming" and "tanking" ratings.

Hill told TMZ she deserved the suspension, but she hasn't apologized.

Despite promising Madison Avenue at its upfront presentation that Mike Greenberg's new solo morning show would debut Jan. 1, ESPN has pushed back the start date to the spring because of construction delays at its expensive new studios at South Street Seaport in Manhattan.

The ESPN workforce in Bristol, Conn., and around the country is still recovering from the layoff of 100 colleagues in late April. Unlike the previous downsizing of 300 behind-the-scenes producers, directors and staffers in October 2015, this year's layoffs took out high-salaried TV talent and reporters, many with multi-year contracts. Many are still looking for their next gig.

ESPN is not the only media company downsizing in a challenging, changing economy. Media organizations ranging from Fox to Sports Illustrated have laid off staffers.

Sources: ESPN heading for more painful layoffs

She meant what she said, I respect her for not apologizing. I don't agree with her platform, but that's another story.

Gotta wonder how net neutrality will impact them...

Not to get up on my soapbox too high, but just how does "political correctness" work these days? I've seen folks pretty much be morally bankrupt but politically correct and thrive in their business. How does Hill continue to work both sides against the middle and have a job at a place that eats up such mistakes otherwise?

I'd be ok with ESPN moving to broadcasting sporting events only. I don't need talking heads giving me their perspective.

But then again, I'm sure I'm in the minority.

No, I happen to think you're in the vast majority here. The Sportscenter of old with Stuart Scott and all of those guys is done, and has been for years. ESPN lost their audience when they attempted to delve into every day lives and the political aspect of everything. I only watch ESPN for the high school and college football games and every so often a college basketball game. I don't even watch what used to be my favorite show on Earth, College Gameday, anymore. I tune in about five minutes every weekend to go give Rece the support he deserves being an Alabama alumni and all, but I steer clear and really and truly don't give a shit about anything else they produce. Even on XM radio all I used to listen to were college football games on ESPN. Now I just listen to the college football channel with Zarzour (I think he's a punk) and McElroy.

Interesting how a show with a single 1am episode AVERAGED 88,000 viewers... Gee, wonder how they got that average... I thought an average was: "a number expressing the central or typical value in a set of data". Guess it is the central (and only) value, but not a set of data...

Haven't watched ESPN even for football games this year, other than Bama games. Even quit watching Game Day last year. hate not to watch Rece, but just have no interest in that network.

I'd be ok with ESPN moving to broadcasting sporting events only. I don't need talking heads giving me their perspective.

But then again, I'm sure I'm in the minority.

No, I happen to think you're in the vast majority here. The Sportscenter of old with Stuart Scott and all of those guys is done, and has been for years. ESPN lost their audience when they attempted to delve into every day lives and the political aspect of everything. I only watch ESPN for the high school and college football games and every so often a college basketball game. I don't even watch what used to be my favorite show on Earth, College Gameday, anymore. I tune in about five minutes every weekend to go give Rece the support he deserves being an Alabama alumni and all, but I steer clear and really and truly don't give a shit about anything else they produce. Even on XM radio all I used to listen to were college football games on ESPN. Now I just listen to the college football channel with Zarzour (I think he's a punk) and McElroy.

Not in minority that I know....Me to....dont watch gameday....at all....although a lot of the signs are funny.....
Kinda like the espn stories........
Talking heads...well, they know it all....or think they do....boring...
Do wish we could get more and better Thursday nite games.....and some of west coast that dont start at 10-11 eastern...
Dont know that Ms50+ does though....i get the feeling Saturday football fulfills her football needs...

The Sportscenter of old with Stuart Scott and all of those guys is done, and has been for years.

Interesting how a show with a single 1am episode AVERAGED 88,000 viewers...

There still are Sportscenter's that are in the "old school" style. They are broadcast late at night and early AM. Scott Van Pelt, Linda Cohn, Stan Verrett, Neal Everett, and an occasional appearance with Kenny Mayne.

I enjoy watching those--especially SVP's show.

lol.. the liberal ESPN model is getting pounded. I have been saying on here for a couple of years that until ESPN stops railing against their base subscriber that they are going to steadily spin down the toilet.

Who ever is pulling the strings is a marketing nimrod! You need to know who your market is.. who spends money of your market and then craft a message that appeals to them. I have been saying for a while that I think Disney will have to sell them or go down with the ship. Disney is trying to force their views down ever branch of their corporate tree.. and it is knee capping ESPN.

If ESPN can get bought by Fox and they can combine forces and get back to sports, sports highlights and stop the liberal soap opera I think it can be viable again.

lol.. the liberal ESPN model is getting pounded. I have been saying on here for a couple of years that until ESPN stops railing against their base subscriber that they are going to steadily spin down the toilet.

Who ever is pulling the strings is a marketing nimrod! You need to know who your market is.. who spends money of your market and then craft a message that appeals to them. I have been saying for a while that I think Disney will have to sell them or go down with the ship. Disney is trying to force their views down ever branch of their corporate tree.. and it is knee capping ESPN.

If ESPN can get bought by Fox and they can combine forces and get back to sports, sports highlights and stop the liberal soap opera I think it can be viable again.

Seems I remember something like that happening during the last presidential election. Called biting the hand that feeds you.

The irony of the ESPN fall is terrific.

Sports and politics don't mix... For ratings. Many sports fans watch it for a break from "reality". It's entertainment.

Ironically, the group that ESPN is catering to... The politically correct liberals... Really doesn't have passion for sports. So they really never cared to watch sports before or after the poli-sport agenda.

The funniest part of the kneeling "era" is that I hear many Kaepernick fans are boycotting the NFL as well. So they're being boycotted by both sides. LOL

I agree with Planamateo that a sporting event oriented channel would do well for the old school sports fans.... I'd love to see ESPN go under and a legitimate sports channel take over.

Back
Top Bottom