| NEWS Earl Campbell on Texas: ’Have to have a black quarterback,’ cites Tua Tagovailoa, Jalen Hurts

S

SEC Sports

Earl Campbell told The Statesman his Texas Longhorns need a black quarterback in order to right the ship, citing current college quarterbacks Tua Tagovailoa and Jalen Hurts, among others.

The former NFL and Texas running back also suggested Alabama coach Nick Saban “killed” Jalen Hurts’ motivation during the Oklahoma quarterback’s time in Tuscaloosa.

"Until the University of Texas realizes you have to have a black quarterback, and nothing against Ehlinger, you got to have a talented, black quarterback,” Campbell told Kirk Bohls of The Statesman. “All these schools that are winning, even in the pros, have black quarterbacks. When guys are not open, something can still happen.”

Bohls reports Campbell cited Tagovailoa, Hurts, former Texas standout Vince Young and former Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson among others.

“He reminds me of myself,” Earl said of Hurts, who said they became close friends when the quarterback was a finalist for the Earl Campbell Award. “He’s a calm individual. He doesn’t get too excited and keeps it all inside. (Alabama coach) Nick Saban did all he could to kill his motivation. Jalen is one of the most classy individuals I’ve ever seen play sports. It looks like Oklahoma is going to win the Heisman a third year in a row. It looks like he’s not even running, like he’s walking.”

Max Duggan threw two touchdown passes, including a tiebreaking 44-yarder to Jalen Reagor the first play after Ehlinger’s second interception, and ran for a clinching score to lead the TCU Horned Frogs past the Longhorns 37-27 on Saturday.

The Longhorns (5-3, 3-2 Big 12) lost a third straight game in Fort Worth for the first time since the 1940s. It was the fifth win in six tries against Texas for the Horned Frogs, which includes their first four-game winning streak in the series since the 1930s.

Ehlinger was 27 of 48 for 321 yards and two touchdowns with four interceptions.

The Tyler Rose out there proving that CTE is real. Being a good QB isn't determined by skin color Earl. It's determined by your abilities and the mushy stuff between your ears. Someone needs to let him know that Tua is of Samoan decent, not black. Also tell him about those guys named Tim Tebow, Greg McElroy, AJ McCarron, Jake Coker, Trevor Lawrence. Did I leave anyone out since Vince Young won it in '05?

Being a good QB isn't determined by skin color Earl.
I can't say I'm surprised with the little attention that seems to be paid in regard to this story. If we change the story to "can't win with a black quarterback" it's a headline. A year ago we had a Texas school district superintendent blast Deshaun based on his skin color and the QB position at it was national news. A few weeks ago a fan sent a letter to a Penn State player suggesting a haircut and it garnered national attention because it was labeled racist.

Every few days I learn of another example of how the program at Texas is in disarray...and here's another.

I can't say I'm surprised with the little attention that seems to be paid in regard to this story. If we change the story to "can't win with a black quarterback" it's a headline. A year ago we had a Texas school district superintendent blast Deshaun based on his skin color and the QB position at it was national news. A few weeks ago a fan sent a letter to a Penn State player suggesting a haircut and it garnered national attention because it was labeled racist.

Every few days I learn of another example of how the program at Texas is in disarray...and here's another.
And sure the New England Patriots believe you need a black QB to win

“All these schools that are winning, even in the pros, have black quarterbacks. When guys are not open, something can still happen.”

Well lets see how many black quarterbacks have won the superbowl lets see, hum...that would be exactly 2
Also please let Earl know there is a guy called Tom Brady currently last time I checked he wasn't black and exactly how many superbowls has he won? More than two

Nick Saban did all he could to kill his motivation
What is that supposed to mean? Man the Texas in these guys is strong. Until you stop making excuses and get a competent coach that teach fundamentals, physical discipline play and defense you are not going to win consistently. Anyone on this forum that does not think Texas would be winning if Saban had actually left Bama and gone there? I am 100% certain it would not be because of a black QB. We have won with both.

QB's like Trevor Lawrence and yeah Tom Brady say hello.

What is that supposed to mean? Man the Texas in these guys is strong. Until you stop making excuses and get a competent coach that teach fundamentals, physical discipline play and defense you are not going to win consistently. Anyone on this forum that does not think Texas would be winning if Saban had actually left Bama and gone there? I am 100% certain it would not be because of a black QB. We have won with both.

QB's like Trevor Lawrence and yeah Tom Brady say hello.
So many you could list it ridiculous......
If he said mobile in this day and time.....
In CF....might be buying......

Every few days I learn of another example of how the program at Texas is in disarray.
Five star CB Ethan Pouncey decommitted today (viewed as the top CB in the nation by a few of the services) which makes the second corner to back off their commitment to Texas in the last week. More are coming ...

Five star CB Ethan Pouncey decommitted today (viewed as the top CB in the nation by a few of the services) which makes the second corner to back off their commitment to Texas in the last week. More are coming ...

Saw this on the rant regarding Ethan..

Karl Scott & Vinnie Sunseri both just liked Ethan Pouncey's decommitment tweet, may not mean a thing but just caught my interest

I'm hearing Bijan Robinson, running back, may be listening to folks. Kid has over 2,000 yards rushing already this year. unbelievable stats for him.

Back
Top Bottom