| FTBL Dust under the rug

Crimson&WhiteGecko said:
ghice said:
excuse me of my ignorance but wasn't the reason the NCAA come down on us so hard was because we didn't report the incident or cooperate or something?

It was due to multiple violations but ultimately the penalties were due to "lack of instituional control" but I do remember the Director of the NCAA at the time Yeager (not sure if he is still there now) made the comment to the effect that if we hadn't cooperated w/ them on the last infraction we would have received the death penalty.

Actually, Alabama did not get penalized for LOIC but got hammered under the "repeat offender" statute due to Tyrone Beamon attempting to set up a slush fund for some hoops blue chipper from Houston. Though BAMA was commended for the swift dismissal of Beamon and the boosters in Montgomery that reported him to our compliance people, the NCAA still extended Alabama's probationary window from the 1993 infractions which exposed BAMA to more severe sanctions almost a decade later.

NCAA justice at its best! :x

OU had to forfeit its 05' season because it's players made a few thousands at a job with no work. Bush's family made hundreds of thousands, I think they should lose their 04 and 05 wins.

Swamptick said:
I hope they KILL USC. I want them to get the whole 9 yards. Just shy of the death penalty. I hate the bias USC gets and the passes it gets on matters like this.

What would that do to West Coast Football. USC is the only team that "gets East" enough to aid in a regular season comparison between west coast and east. Further, who would they hang their hat on then, Cal and Hawaii? Both are good teams, but without USC a a feather in their cap they have not solid to boast with. JMHO

crmstider said:
BarnBurner said:
OU had to forfeit its 05' season because it's players made a few thousands at a job with no work. Bush's family made hundreds of thousands, I think they should lose their 04 and 05 wins.
What effect could this have on the barn?

None in the country's eyes. They'll probably claim the ring.

If the BCS decided to award it to anyone, I suspect they would give it to OU since they were in the BCS game.

reger60 said:
Unless there's a smoking gun laying around or Bush wanted to rat out the University, the NCAA will have a tough time proving that USC knew anything about the relationship, Without proof it looks as if the only wrongdoer was Bush, meaning they would have no grounds to punish USC.

The fact that USC declined to attend the meeting indicates to me that they had no knowledge of the illegal activity. If they knew something and it could be proved, they'd already be falling all over themselves with proposed self-sanctions.
quote]

I can't find the original article Yahoo Sports did on the Bush incident, but I believe they uncovered proof that USC allowed these agent in the locker rooms and on the sidelines. That is, at a minimum, Failure to Monitor, really more like LOIC. Anyone still have the original article?

Back
Top Bottom