| FTBL Dreamland coming to Bryant-Denny

Ken Wilson, who coordinates catering for the stadium, said Dreamland quarter-pound pulled pork sandwiches, quarter-pound pulled chicken sandwiches, smoked sausage, barbecue nachos and banana pudding have been added to the menu.

Sorry folks, but that ain't Dreamland.

A slab, plate of bread, and a cold beer. THAT'S Dreamland BBQ.

I hope what they sale at the stadium is better than the Dreamlands they opened up here in Montgomery. The food here is very expensive for Barbeque and it ain't that good.

Ribs!?!? Don't even get me started! My son prefers baby back ribs to the spare ribs I grew up with in Alabama. Me? I prefer a rib that fights back a little when you dig into it.

Thank goodness I've got 2 Dreamland locations withing 15 minutes of me here in north Atlanta. Both locations are very good but I prefer the one in Roswell to the one in Duluth. It's like being back home with plenty of Bama pictures all over the walls.

One of the guys who mans the pit in Roswell says he grew up with "Big Daddy" Bishop's family in Tuscaloosa. Apparently he learned from the best. Perhaps that's why the ribs at that location are so good!!! He did tell me the only thing they put on the ribs/butt is Lawry's seasoning and the thin vinegar baste to keep them moist while cooking. The hardwood and slow/low cookin' do the rest. That may be so, but I've never been quite able to duplicate them at home. Maybe I need to replace my metal drum/firebox smoker with a real brick pit.

Ahhh, Dreamland. Mighty tasty ribs. Second only to Thomas Pit BBQ in Madison. Greenbriar in Huntville's pretty darn good too. Of course, growing up in North Alabama, I could be a little biased. I just love that peppery vinegar red sauce and the North Alabama white sauce for the chicken (better than Gibson's original in Decatur IMHO).

Ribs, autumn, the opening of dove season, Alabama football. Does it get any better?

One of my favorite subjects for my first ever post...I've always wondered how the ribs are at Dreamlands in Tuscaloosa. Making BBQ is a passion of mine.

TerryP...I'll second your notion of Dreamland's. I'll always think of them that way.

We have one here in Huntsville that I've been to several times but I have been disappointed. The ribs have always been a little tough. The sauce was always great though. I talked to the cook once and he said they cooked the ribs in about 45 minutes using high heat which I disagree with. Once, though, they were perfectly tender...not falling of the bone but tender.

AFF...have you ever tried Big Bob Gibson's ribs in Decatur. Only ones I've found that are consistently good.

Welby

I've only had their pulled pork sandwiches at catered events, but they are quite tasty. I'm not a big eater during football games, I like to do it all beforehand, but I like that new addition to the menu.

Welby said:
I've always wondered how the ribs are at Dreamlands in Tuscaloosa.

They are hit or miss. Sometimes they are great, other times, they are charred and/or small. The closer to noon you go, the better the quality in my experience. If you wait until later in the day, the quality is likely to be lacking. As for me, I like their ribs, but I could sit there and dip the bread in their warm sauce and eat that all day long with some sweet tea.

IMO, Archibald's ribs are just as good if not better on most days. Their pulled pork is better too.

Welby said:
One of my favorite subjects for my first ever post...I've always wondered how the ribs are at Dreamlands in Tuscaloosa. Making BBQ is a passion of mine.

TerryP...I'll second your notion of Dreamland's. I'll always think of them that way.

We have one here in Huntsville that I've been to several times but I have been disappointed. The ribs have always been a little tough. The sauce was always great though. I talked to the cook once and he said they cooked the ribs in about 45 minutes using high heat which I disagree with. Once, though, they were perfectly tender...not falling of the bone but tender.

AFF...have you ever tried Big Bob Gibson's ribs in Decatur. Only ones I've found that are consistently good.

Welby

Welcome aboard, Welby.

There is a Dreamland in Birmingham on Southside, and the Q is good there, but there are a lot of good Q places in Birmingham. Jim 'n' Nicks, Dreamland, Golden Rule, even the famous Buddy's BBQ in Alabaster.

Best ribs I ever had were from the Barnyard Roasters bbq team. They came in 3rd at Memphis in May...good folks too...the owner of Ruben's Fish and Steak in Columbus is the owner of the team. The sauce was made from a citrus Liqueur and incredible. Rubens is a great place to eat...seriously. It is worth driving to Columbus from Ttown to eat there...best catfish I have ever eaten...one of the best steaks...tea is great...crawfish night (if they still have it) is the bomb. They are a little pricey, but not too bad.

The second best ribs I ever had were cooked by the Viking bbq team. They placed that year.

The third best are my own...though the Jack Daniels bbq team is close.

I like dreamland a lot. Dreamland is best when they are not busy because the ribs have been allowed to cook longer. The peppery seasoning combined with the sour sauce is nice - I buy the sauce and use it with pulled pork and find that it is very good on brisket as well.

Welby said:

Welby

Yeah, but I haven't been there in probably over 20 years. I grew up on the local BBQ joints in the Hsv area during the 70's. I had no idea that other people didn't know what white sauce was until I left the area. Gibson's was very good. After all, he is the inventor of the NA white sauce. Still, I just have these fond memories of Thomas ribs with that peppery vinegar sauce. It's been a couple of years since I've been back for those, too. Sounds like I need to do a BBQ tour of several places next time I'm back in Hsv! :D

Welcome to the site.

One other thought - if it weren't for Dreamland BBQ there would be no good BBQ in Georgia. What the heck is with that? Tennessee's got their own style. So do the Carolina's. Alabama has two or three different styles if you count the white in the north and the mustard based in certain other parts. Georgia? Pfft. I guess all they have here is peaches. Even then I prefer Gaffney, South Carolina peaches or even Limestone County, Alabama peaches to Georgia peaches. Sometimes I wonder why I'm still here... :? :)

AFF said:
Ribs!?!? Don't even get me started! My son prefers baby back ribs to the spare ribs I grew up with in Alabama. Me? I prefer a rib that fights back a little when you dig into it.

Thank goodness I've got 2 Dreamland locations withing 15 minutes of me here in north Atlanta. Both locations are very good but I prefer the one in Roswell to the one in Duluth. It's like being back home with plenty of Bama pictures all over the walls.

One of the guys who mans the pit in Roswell says he grew up with "Big Daddy" Bishop's family in Tuscaloosa. Apparently he learned from the best. Perhaps that's why the ribs at that location are so good!!! He did tell me the only thing they put on the ribs/butt is Lawry's seasoning and the thin vinegar baste to keep them moist while cooking. The hardwood and slow/low cookin' do the rest. That may be so, but I've never been quite able to duplicate them at home. Maybe I need to replace my metal drum/firebox smoker with a real brick pit.

Ahhh, Dreamland. Mighty tasty ribs. Second only to Thomas Pit BBQ in Madison. Greenbriar in Huntville's pretty darn good too. Of course, growing up in North Alabama, I could be a little biased. I just love that peppery vinegar red sauce and the North Alabama white sauce for the chicken (better than Gibson's original in Decatur IMHO).

Ribs, autumn, the opening of dove season, Alabama football. Does it get any better?
I goto the Roswell location a few times a month because their ribs are so good, not as good as the original but damn good for the franchise!

I also enjoy their pulled pork and sauce, my mother loves their chicken.

Rolling Tide said:
I hope the food they will serve at bryant deny is better then the crap they serve here in Huntsville. The ribs here SUCK.
My dad made the mistake of going there a few weeks ago, he made a point of calling me from there and telling me how bad they sucked in front of the manager!!

Back
Top Bottom