| FTBL Do you remember the down years for Alabama football?

Four of the winningest college football programs had a losing season last year: Florida State, Nebraska, Tennessee and USC.

Do you remember the down years for Alabama football?

i grew up in one of the crappier eras for Bama football. There were many Saturdays in the 80's where my dad, who is a Bama grad, would say "UHH!!", then go outside and wash the car or paint something and avoid watching the rest of the disaster.

The joy of the Saban era has not diminished in my heart one bit.

i was alive for Coach Bryant's last 3 championships. and while i don't really remember them, except for the one in '78 (or, rather, the '79 goal line stand), i do remember the years following...

one national championship and 2 conference championships between 1979 and 2009. there were some good seasons in those 3 decades, to go along with some probation. but to win only 1 big one and 2 conference titles felt like we were being laughed at by the rest of the college football world....and we were.

now, we're the ones laughing

but...it's all a thing of ups and downs...ebbs and flows....the tide comes in, and the tide goes out (no pun intended....well, maybe a little ;)). i'm sure somewhere along the way we'll be down again. and there will be those who will say, "remember back when we had Coach Saban and we were winning so much? those were the good ol' days".

After Coach passed?

When CBC couldn't beat awbarn?

3 losses to UF in the SECCG?

The long dark night that followed CGS departure and continued until CNS took the helm?

Watching Garcia and Newton carve up the defense?

Seeing that one wretched play looped continuously?

Seeing Elliott run for 230?

Triumphant Dabo 1 and triumphant Dabo 2?

All true....but the reality is this....
Every HC after BEAR....
Got Bama in top 5 during their reign.....except fran....think we only got to 8 or so...
So somewhere ...somewhere....there was sucess ....preseason...during season...post season ( Stallings).....wasn’t great but no others listed programs can say that....that what separates bama from the rest...
the shit hole was...the fucking cheating and probation(s).... never been so embarrassed and disappointed in my life over something....
Dubose...was an ass.... frinking loser... believe the Stallings shit was contrived by a bunch of losers ( including sec commish Kramer who was big Tennessee fan and supporter) and I always believe Stallings over Langham... and the one little loser running back who sold his sole to an AU booster...
And not forgetting the embarrassing Price and his whore episode....
We were lucky.....for....Nick Saban.....and our AD who pursued him....

Given that 8-4 at Alabama can be a miserable season, yeah, I can recall plenty of disappointing seasons. But to be honest, if the talent and players just aren't there, fans get that quick enough and emotionally I think we adjust accordingly. But the real gut twisters that sap every ounce of energy out of the psyche is when expectations are highest and we lose the big one. Like 2018, 2016, 2014, 2013. No need to say which games or against which team those were. Any self-respecting Tide fan knows them in our sleep.

I have experienced the highs, the mehs, the temp high, the dregs and the rise back to the mountaintop. AKA, the last 5 years of Bryant, the Perkins/Curry era, Stallings, The Mikes+Fran, St Nick.

i was alive for Coach Bryant's last 3 championships. and while i don't really remember them, except for the one in '78 (or, rather, the '79 goal line stand), i do remember the years following...

one national championship and 2 conference championships between 1979 and 2009. there were some good seasons in those 3 decades, to go along with some probation. but to win only 1 big one and 2 conference titles felt like we were being laughed at by the rest of the college football world....and we were.

now, we're the ones laughing

but...it's all a thing of ups and downs...ebbs and flows....the tide comes in, and the tide goes out (no pun intended....well, maybe a little ;)). i'm sure somewhere along the way we'll be down again. and there will be those who will say, "remember back when we had Coach Saban and we were winning so much? those were the good ol' days".

Are you saying anyone that WAS alive for those championships is old? :unsure:

Are you saying anyone that WAS alive for those championships is old? :unsure:
I seem to be..... @sk33tr ......
Bushhogged for 3 hours yesterday..... and ran chain saw for couple of hours ....
And felt little twinge in back this morning....so , yeah, feeling little old,...
And remember watching 1961 National Championship game vs ok on tv....black n white... and 1963 sugar bowl.....incolor at a promotion inDowntown Anniston....had to walk in snow to get there... a lot of great memories....by living a long time ago

I seem to be..... @sk33tr ......
Bushhogged for 3 hours yesterday..... and ran chain saw for couple of hours ....
And felt little twinge in back this morning....so , yeah, feeling little old,...
And remember watching 1961 National Championship game vs ok on tv....black n white... and 1963 sugar bowl.....incolor at a promotion inDowntown Anniston....had to walk in snow to get there... a lot of great memories....by living a long time ago

and the snow was white on our TV for that Bama vs Ole Misst Sugar Bowl in 63....Roll Tide....thanks Steve Davis for those 4 FG

and the snow was white on our TV for that Bama vs Ole Misst Sugar Bowl in 63....Roll Tide....thanks Steve Davis for those 4 FG

Tim davis i think...rather than steve...missed a 5 th one. I may be wrong but have the newspaper somewhere in one on the zillion crates.. ole ms was big favorite...
Sloan QBed ..... my mine may be gone....so dont hold me accountable

I remember! Walking on for a guy that the “good old boys” didn’t like and the fact he rubbed A LOT of the people the wrong way as well. He was out and in came Coach Stallings. I thought his first year might be his one and only after a 6-5 season and a pasting in the Fiesta Bowl. Then came the Mike years, mixed in with Francione. Dealing with the Barners and their “fingers up”. AWFUL!!!

How far down and back do you want to go. I remember when Bama couldn't score, much less win. The shutout by the barn in 1957 was Whitworth's
eleventh in his three years. In the sixty one seasons since then, Bama has been shutout......eleven times.

I was born in 1964 so the down years I truly remember were really the late 1990's/early 2000's. Fortunately they were book ended by the great years of Bear and Saban.

Back
Top Bottom