| FOOD Dive bars - cool story about one in NY's East Village. (Homewood, AL spot is featured.)

Ha! Been there a couple times (for lunch), never knew about the fig leaf buzzer entrapment machine... that's awesome. At one time, several years back, wasn't there a rumor that Callaghan's was going to open up a 2nd spot there?
Yea they bought Mancis. Manci's daddy and grandaddy drank all the liquor in those decanters. They had two jack Russells that would greet you. Gwen made a great burger and there was always some crazies at the bar

Yea they bought Mancis. Manci's daddy and grandaddy drank all the liquor in those decanters. They had two jack Russells that would greet you. Gwen made a great burger and there was always some crazies at the bar

Ok, I was thinking it was something like that. I'll have to try and make time to stop in for a burger when I'm down there one of these times.

Not labeled on that map at the corner of 3rd Ave and 7th St. is McSorley’s. My favorite bar in NY. Talk about some history and character. Still have a chandelier with wishbones hooked to it from soldiers heading out on deployment to WWI battles.

There used to be three places near where I live that I used to frequent often in my younger, darker days and nights. I would not classify either of them as a dive, we called them beer joints. Neither joint did not serve food, though you could purchase a pickled egg or maybe a pigs ear or trotter. The Dixie Cafe was usually full of drunks and nonsense. Dicks Place was full of this, that and the other, and no, it was not a gay bar.
The Rendezvous Bar was about a quarter mile from the City Hall and the jail, but anything you can imagine could and did happen there. I'm not sure if Dicks Place is still open, might be, but the other two are long gone.

Back
Top Bottom