| FTBL Deion Sanders Answer to Auburn’s Woe?

Andy Staples....

"Deion Sanders checks the one box the next Auburn coach will need to check: He’s capable of winning recruiting battles against Nick Saban and Kirby Smart....Auburn officials can’t do this, but the best way to hire a new coach would be to kidnap Saban and Smart, dose them with truth serum and ask who they’d least want to recruit against. I guarantee Sanders would be on both their lists."

That would be a nightmare even for nothing else other than recruiting. Auburn's current recruiting is absolutely abysmal but you can bet your ass Deion would have that ship righted quickly. I don't imagine him wanting to walk into that dumpster fire, though.
No decent coach in their right mind would.

He’s capable of winning recruiting battles against Nick Saban and Kirby Smart.
What do you base this on? He was able to get one specific recruit to Jackson? I know he has name recognition and some flair but sustaining is what is required and only Smart has been able to do that. Could he? Maybe but you just do not know because he has not done it at that level.

He's proven himself to be a decent coach and he'd be hell on the recruiting trail. Hell.
Help me understand this statement? What has he proven as a coach? Jackson State? As far as recruiting, he has name recognition but CNS is pretty good recruiter. The best attribute he has is that he would not put up with Barner meddling but that is likely why they would not hire him.

Kevin Steele will be at the Barn. He will play the game nicely with the meddlers.

Last edited:
IF FSU came calling he'd be gone from Auburn in a heartbeat.

But no. You don't want Deion at Auburn. He's proven himself to be a decent coach and he'd be hell on the recruiting trail. Hell.

Hey may be great for a program like Jackson State that is more likely a "never say no to Coach Sanders" program, but he won't get that at a bigger school that wants to win now and has boosters to deal with. He also sold the HBCU vision to many of his recruits, and he will not have that at a large D-1 school. He won't need it necessarily, but it was a piece of the puzzle none of the others had. I am not sold on him being able to run a high end program with tens of millions at stake, boosters to deal with, winning is a must, and programs that won't always see eye to eye and say yes all of the time. I also don't think he has anymore sons he can utilize to bring recruits in and build off of either. His name resonates, but much like Jalen Hale and Texas, the recruits are going to spurn the advances of the up and comer and go where the bacon is. I also wonder if a prima donna can handle a team full of them if he does in fact recruit lights out.

Help me understand this statement? What has he proven as a coach? Jackson State? As far as recruiting, he has name recognition but CNS is pretty good recruiter. The best attribute he has is that he would not put up with Barner meddling but that is likely why they would not hire him.

Kevin Steele will be at the Barn. He will play the game nicely with the meddlers.
I'm not saying Deion will end up coaching at Auburn.

Sanders is in the "toddler years" of his coaching career; just the beginning. And at this point he's done well; very well based on JSU's history. Three years ago he took over that JSU team and took them to a 4-3 record—a program, over the previous five seasons, whose best season had five wins. His second season they finished 11-2, undefeated in conference play (9-0,) and they've followed that mark this season starting 4-0. Overall, he's posted the best winning percentage in their programs' history. (SWAC record for JSU below.)

With his resume, where does the question of what he's proven originate? He's been in collegiate coaching for two and a half years and based on what he has done he's proven himself to be a decent coach.

Screenshot 2022-09-26 7.05.29 AM.png

Hey may be great for a program like Jackson State that is more likely a "never say no to Coach Sanders" program, but he won't get that at a bigger school that wants to win now and has boosters to deal with. He also sold the HBCU vision to many of his recruits, and he will not have that at a large D-1 school. He won't need it necessarily, but it was a piece of the puzzle none of the others had. I am not sold on him being able to run a high end program with tens of millions at stake, boosters to deal with, winning is a must, and programs that won't always see eye to eye and say yes all of the time. I also don't think he has anymore sons he can utilize to bring recruits in and build off of either. His name resonates, but much like Jalen Hale and Texas, the recruits are going to spurn the advances of the up and comer and go where the bacon is. I also wonder if a prima donna can handle a team full of them if he does in fact recruit lights out.
but he won't get that at a bigger school that wants to win now and has boosters to deal with.

He'd get that, and more, at FSU.

No one knows how any coach will fare when moving up levels of collegiate play. Based on what he's done so far, all the signs indicate he's a solid football coach.

No matter what school, or where, he may end up he will definitely rebuild the talent pool: he has that cache.

Plane tracking on the plains

Just a question, not at you XXL, but the group here in general.

A single turboprop plane. Do you really think a school of Auburn's stature is going to send what's essentially a Cessna to pick up Deion?

Logic test, anyone?

IF FSU came calling he'd be gone from Auburn in a heartbeat.

But no. You don't want Deion at Auburn. He's proven himself to be a decent coach and he'd be hell on the recruiting trail. Hell.
O Yeah....100%....
Only thing prime about Neon Deon is his self so proclaimed ( and Nicks acalling him that on commercial)...and media...

"A decent coach". AU doesnt need a decent HC...Gus was a decent HC...
They need a A+. Top of line...strong minded... that has proven at 1 or 2 levels...
Neon might be decent....
Long way before just decent competes in SEC

He'd get that, and more, at FSU.

No one knows how any coach will fare when moving up levels of collegiate play. Based on what he's done so far, all the signs indicate he's a solid football coach.

No matter what school, or where, he may end up he will definitely rebuild the talent pool: he has that cache.

At Florida State, you're right, all bets are off as he'd be coming home and they'd give him anything he wanted. Being in his infancy as a coach as you put it still has me curious if he can recruit and outcoach against the Saban's, Day's, Kelly's, Riley's, Fisher's, Smart's, Sweeney's, and others that have seen success that he would be matching up with every week. There is zero doubt the coaching talent pool where he is at is minimal, and he isn't necessarily facing coaches that have the ability to compete from a mental, financial, talent, or intellectual perspective with him. That changes at the Power 5 level where there almost every coach knows how to do it all and will challenge him every week, not the schedule he has now where his team is challenged maybe twice a year. Also, will assistant coaches be willing to put up with him at the Power 5 level in order to develop the talent you say he will pull?

O Yeah....100%....
Only thing prime about Neon Deon is his self so proclaimed ( and Nicks acalling him that on commercial)...and media...
I know you don't understand you're inferring here.

You won't find anyone in coaching circles that will tell you Deion wouldn't be a force on the recruiting trail.

We saw what a personality can do at Auburn in Trooper Taylor. While he wasn't your top flight position coach, he was a good recruiter. Sanders beats him in both areas: recruiting in spades.

Deion is in the AFLAC commercials because his name and resume carry weight in and outside of football. Summarily dismiss his appeal to college kids at your own risk: I assure you those in the professional will not.

Back
Top Bottom