| FTBL Defensive starters/rotation for 2023.

Just curious who y'all think are going to be starting, and rotating in next season. Some players that are draft eligible haven't announced yet, so far the time being.... I'm assuming they're coming back.
Jack-Turner/Braswell. I expect to see Keeley, and Alexander play as well.
DE-Eboigbe/Payne.
DT-Oatis/Smith.
DE-Perry/Smith.
Mike- Lawson/Murphy.
Will-Blackshire/Campbell or Jefferson.
Star-Moore/ not too sure who'd be his sub this year. We'll see.
CB1-Kool-Aid.
CB2-Arnold/ Little Jr or Maybe one of incoming freshman.
SS-Story/Mitchell.
FS-Downs.

Just curious who y'all think are going to be starting, and rotating in next season. Some players that are draft eligible haven't announced yet, so far the time being.... I'm assuming they're coming back.
DE-Eboigbe/Payne.
DT-Oatis/Smith.
DE-Perry/Smith.
Mike- Lawson/Murphy.
CB1-Kool-Aid.
SS-Story/Mitchell.
FS-Downs.
Not a bad D ....

DE-Eboigbe/Payne.
DT-Oatis/Smith.
DE-Perry/Smith.
Mike- Lawson/Murphy.
CB1-Kool-Aid.
SS-Story/Mitchell.
FS-Downs.

I'd like to see Downs at Strong Safety and Arnold at Free Safety. That opens up a for Little Jr. or Desmond Ricks.

I've watched Downs all year here in Georgia and I think he can help in run support like Hellams, but be a much better coverage guy. Arnold, I simply think with his abilities he'd be like Battle last season. Hawking the ball, not afraid to come up and hit, and possesses more speed to cover that bigger area.

DE-Eboigbe/Payne.
DT-Oatis/Smith.
DE-Perry/Smith.
Mike- Lawson/Murphy.
CB1-Kool-Aid.
SS-Story/Mitchell.
FS-Downs.
You left out earl little Jr. He was making noise all season long in practices.

Moore indicated he's moving to safety position. He said that recently.

Downs is ready and is day 1 starter but where on defense.

You left out the juco transfer, Jefferson kid as a potential starter. He didn't transfer to sit on bench. He's gonna be likely to start next to Lawson.

We all better hope and pray the talent level Is really, really high to over come the deficiencies of play calling if Golding is still around.
I don't know jack squat, but common sense tells me the more talented and athletic your personnel is, the less a coach needs to rely on scheme and the less thinking there needs to be on the field.

For instance, I remember in 2012 when, if I'm not mistaken, every offensive starter would go on to sign an NFL contract. That season we lined up a lot in a basic formation -- 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB -- and just invited defenses to stop us. That natty against ND was a thing of beauty ... letting the play clock every time to go down to 5 sec or less ... alternating between Lacy and Yeldon ... Cooper as a fresh already required double coverage ... a formidable receiving TE in Williams who could block equally well ... an experienced QB in McCarron ... one of our alltime best starting OL in the Saban era (rivaling the Joe Moore award winning 2020 OL), etc.

I think defense needs to follow the same rules. Dumb it down so that you can substitute as many bodies as possible to keep your D fresh all game long and all season long. I suspect that Saban (and coaches generally) unconsciously make their schemes more complex because they fall into a routine of making themselves more necessary than they sometimes are. Think about it, if you're used to being the savior, it becomes difficult to step back and allow others to save the day. Without question, Saban is the most knowledgeable coach in college right now, but if your roster is as talented as our D is top to bottom, the question becomes can he humble himself enough to allow them to go play without excessive input and instruction which inevitably slows them down and limits substitution.

I have a suspicion that our D has been too complex at times for our players to play at their highest ability. If you examine the position recruiting rankings of our D personnel out of high school, the wealth of talent is ridiculous, even at the 3rd and 4th strings. So maybe we should rely more on their instincts and raw athletic ability instead on the genius (or lack thereof) of our coaching.

You left out earl little Jr. He was making noise all season long in practices.

Moore indicated he's moving to safety position. He said that recently.

Downs is ready and is day 1 starter but where on defense.

You left out the juco transfer, Jefferson kid as a potential starter. He didn't transfer to sit on bench. He's gonna be likely to start next to Lawson.
I put Little and Jefferson in there. And I'm sure he's gonna play to try and start, but Bama has guys on the team that have been there longer, and are extremely talented. We'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

I'd like to see Downs at Strong Safety and Arnold at Free Safety. That opens up a for Little Jr. or Desmond Ricks.

I've watched Downs all year here in Georgia and I think he can help in run support like Hellams, but be a much better coverage guy. Arnold, I simply think with his abilities he'd be like Battle last season. Hawking the ball, not afraid to come up and hit, and possesses more speed to cover that bigger area.
He could play either one, but you need a guy who can patrol that deep part of the field, and have the speed to cover ground as well. Arnold has the athletic ability to do this as well if he's moved to safety, I just believe Downs would be better at it. Again, he could do either one. Alabama has options for both positions, excited to see what they do, and who steps up to fill them.

Back
Top Bottom