| FTBL Damion Square

The University of Alabama signed the No. 1 recruiting class in the country for the class of 2008, and Coach Nick Saban wants his star-studded class on campus for the first session of summer school. The verdict is still out on a couple of signees arriving on time due to qualifying, but one Texas stud is eager to move to the Capstone.

Damian Square, defensive tackle from Yates High School in Houston, Texas, was one of the Tide’s first big surprises of the 2008 class. Square has been excited about the future since he pledged to Alabama, and hopes to contribute as a freshman.

“Everything is going real good right now,” Square explained. “I will finish school next week. Everything is set for me to come to Alabama. I will be there June 1. I am really looking forward to getting up there.”

“I have gotten a lot bigger this off-season. I am up to 292-ponuds. My work outs are going really good. I am in great shape. I am trying to get my recovery time down. I have been running about four days a week.”

Square has remained in communication with several future teammates and possibly his roommates as well.

“I am probably going to be rooming with Mark Ingram and Robby Green. B.J. [Burton Scott] may be rooming with us. I am real cool with a lot of the guys. It really doesn’t matter to me who I room with.”

“I have been staying in contact with Mark and Robby a good bit. I holler at B.J. a pretty good bit as well. I’ve talked to Julio [Jones] a few times as well.”

“I am probably going to wear No. 92. That was Wallace Gilberry’s number, and he wants me to have it. I wanted No. 95, but someone already has it.”

Square, rated a four-star prospect by Scout.com, was in Tuscaloosa in April for the Tide’s A-Day Game.

“I liked the spring game," he said. "I saw a lot of opportunities for me to possibly play this year. I liked the offense getting the swagger back. I just felt like I can play early if I go in and work hard.”

“I thought the crowd was pretty loud. It was amazing to see all of them. I was hoping for 92,000 but 78,000 is still pretty good."

Square recorded 97 tackles and 14 sacks during his senior season. He was named class 4A All-State All-Greater Houston and the District MVP. Square has a bench press of

345-lbs.and squats 425-lbs. He reports a 4.8 40-yard dash. Square racked up 91 tackles and 16 sacks during his junior season.

Visit TideSports.com for Andrew Bone's recruiting coverage. Reach Andrew Bone at abone@scout.com.

Back
Top Bottom