| FTBL D aims to end 0-7 November losing string

G

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20071114/NEWS/71114017/1011

Worthy quotes from the article:

In the two years he’s been at the Capstone, the Crimson Tide hasn’t won a single game in November.

The losing string is up to seven games, dating back to the 17-0 victory against MSU on Nov. 5, 2005. Since 2002, when Alabama played a freakish five games thanks to a season-ending trip to Hawaii and went 4-1, the Tide is 3-10 in the most crucial month of the season.

When told that statistic, junior safety Rashad Johnson’s jaw visibly dropped. He then counted it up, two losses this year, three last year, along with Auburn and LSU in 2005.

“I don’t know what to say about that,” he finally said.

“Each win is a big win from here on out and we have to get them,” said Mustin, later adding: “I don’t want to go out like last year. I refuse.”

1) Beat Louisiana Monroe;

2) End the five-game losing streak to Auburn;

3) Get to a major bowl and go out victorious.

“This senior class has been through so much, our ups and downs, you know?” Castille said. “But one thing we have done is we have stuck together, and I think we’re here to finish out the season strong.”

8)

Using ULM to break that streak is not the kind of stories we need. But to be honest, looking at only games played within a given month is irrelevant as well.

LBS said:
Using ULM to break that streak is not the kind of stories we need. But to be honest, looking at only games played within a given month is irrelevant as well.

I don't think they were counting just ULM. I'm pretty positive they were examining ALL teams/games played within that month....

The main point that struck me is that the seniors don't want to end this SEASON on a losing streak. They did say the seniors also didn't want to lose their last game at BDS which is maybe why you thought they meant only this game. From what I took from the article, it seems they meant any and all games for the month of November. Maybe I am reading too much into it but I doubt it. The main point is, they want to aim to go out in this season with a winning record and go out victorious. To do so, we will need to win both upcoming games and I think that would be the hidden message if there was even such a thing.

As for looking at games within a given month, I agree its irrelevant but again I think the article is pointing more towards finishing the season strong and ending any "streaks" we have accumulated from the past seasons. That includes Auburn in case you missed it ;)

FWIW, I thought there was nothing wrong with the story. If anything, maybe some players will read it (highly doubtful, I know) and use it to fuel themselves for a stellar performance the remainder of the season. Like it was mentioned in the article, perhaps some players aren't aware of how things have accumilated over time, until someone throws out the stat. Then they realize it. Soemtimes that causes people to open their eyes more, or in the football realm, play better.

Back
Top Bottom