| LIFE Curious

I used to read a lot. Now I try to but I have trouble making myself sit down and do it. The stack of things I own and want to read is getting higher and higher as I add about 10 for every one I finish. I think the last thing I read was one of the Discworld books.

I don't get to freely read until summer break (I'm reading essays and other written work otherwise, save the script of a show I'm in). It's a ritual for me. I read at least two David Baldacci books each summer. My aunt and uncle, who live in cowtown, found an autographed copy of Coach Bryant's book, Bear. Surprise that book was still sitting in a 2nd and Charles-type shop in Auburn...That'll be my first book this summer.

I went through a long period where anything I read - other than news/current events and faith/spiritual - was related to my professional development and competence. About five years ago, I pivoted to more non-fiction with an emphasis on biography and military history, with a heavy dose of travel and retirement. I've read most of James Hornfischer's books, an incredible writer and historian on naval history. He passed away a few years ago, way too early in his fifties. The Last Stand of Tin Can Sailors, The Fleet at Flood Tide, Neptune's Inferno and Ship of Ghosts are all just so well written and impeccably researched. I've read a good number of Ambrose's books, and I particularly enjoyed his book on the Transcontinental Railroad, really fascinating. The Boys in the Boat, about the 1936 University of Washing rowing team, is a great, great read.

A couple of years ago, I was looking through my folks' built-in bookcase/guncase (quintessential seventies design) and underneath in the cabinets were books that were excess, wouldn't fit on the shelves. One caught my eye, The Trails of Wilderness Wanderer by Andy Russell. The book was very well written, and I found myself in the midst of a vocabulary lesson, all from a largely self-taught mountain man/wrangler/guide from the U.S./Canadian Rockies. It made such an impact on me - such a great lesson of self-development and -sufficiency - that I bought a handful of copies and mailed them to acquaintances I thought would enjoy the book. Fortitude by Dan Crenshaw was also a good read.

The good thing about having lapsed from intentional reading for general enjoyment a good portion of my adult life is that I'm reading more used books than new. Thriftbooks and Goodwill really like me, and I have two neighbors with similar reading interests, and probably half the books I read are loaners.

I'm currently working through D'Souza's biography of Reagan and Rolf Potts' Vagabonding.

RTR,

Tim

(y)

Curious, what do they charge?

The Habitat for Humanity locations around here will give you a paper bag (grocery store size) full of books for $5.
Goodwill stores in SC and some other states will sell books online, some through goodwillbooks.com, some through other sites. Many are in $5-8 range, free shipping.

Thriftbooks range greatly, although most are $4-10. They also offer many new books at a typical 10-20% discount, usually comparable to Amazon. Shipping can be .99 to 1.99, or free. They price their books based on availability and demand.

Abebooks is owned by Amazon, I don't go there.

In the end, it's cheaper to pore over the bookshelves at individual Goodwill stores, antique malls and estate sales, but that's time consuming. If I have a specific book in mind, I'll default to Thriftbooks.

EDIT: Here's an interview with the Thriftbooks founder, how they started, how they progressed through the Amazon vendor lifecycle to their own website selling 25 million books a year with $150 million in gross revenue. Pretty interesting, buying books by the pallet from charity entities who won't/can't deal with the volume.

Last edited:
In the end, it's cheaper to pore over the bookshelves at individual Goodwill stores

but that's time consuming
I can't say I've seen books in Goodwill. I can't tell you the last time I was in Goodwill. Enter Habitat mentioned earlier...

The thing about HFH, or the difference versus Goodwill, is the inventory. There aren't any clothes. If you're not familiar, a lot of their inventory comes from construction (new and old alike.) Furniture is a big one though I'm not one that would buy a used sofa. I did buy a door there for a shed a couple of years ago. Two pallets of 2X8X4's we built a floor from...plumbing parts, door knobs, etc. The books, now that I think about, are more of an afterthought—likely from estate donations—and are about like their electronics; hit or miss.

Why I don't buy used books online? A pet peeve. I hate a broken back on a book unless it was my decision.

Back
Top Bottom