| FTBL Crimson Tide Self-Reports Three Violations

gary funderburk

Verified Member
Extra Point Club
Oh Boy, lets see how far they want to take this one? I am sure they (as in media and rivals alike) will blow this way out of the box. Oh well, thats what we get for being admired by every college in football.
 
I

imported_RollTideRandy

The only concern for me here is that 2 of the violations occurred while we were still on probation and isn’t there a zero tolerance policy while you are on probation? :?: ;sh
 

Crimson&WhiteGecko

Century Club
RollTideRandy said:
The only concern for me here is that 2 of the violations occurred while we were still on probation and isn’t there a zero tolerance policy while you are on probation? :?: ;sh

I'm fairly certain that the zero tolerance has to be primary (major) violations to qualify for major penalties.

Our problem, as stated earlier, is that we are constantlantly under the microscope from everyone, especially the NCAA & the media. As a result, if we sneeze wrong then it will be printed in the media...

I tell you what though... I'm sick & tired of these boosters getting involved w/ the recruiting. I hope these boosters have been banned from their priviledges & beaten out of T-Town. I hope I'm not stepping on any toes of those members here that are boosters but I'd assume those of you who are boosters would be first in line to kick the crap outta those two that got involved.
 

Bamapossum

Verified Member
Sideline Club
The problem with reining in boosters is the very broad definition of booster as defined by the NCAA.

While many think that boosters are monied people with skyboxes and campus priveleges, any one who gives time or money to the university, OR is an alumnus can be considered a booster.

UA has literally tens of thousands of boosters as defined by the NCAA. You don't have to be Logan Young.
 
I

imported_Porter

Bamapossum said:
The problem with reining in boosters is the very broad definition of booster as defined by the NCAA.

While many think that boosters are monied people with skyboxes and campus priveleges, any one who gives time or money to the university, OR is an alumnus can be considered a booster.

UA has literally tens of thousands of boosters as defined by the NCAA. You don't have to be Logan Young.

I was about to post the same thing. Members in the Touchdown Club (and other levels of course) of TidePride are considered boosters, and many probably don't even realize it. I'm sure folks who subscribe to CrimsonTradition could even be labeled boosters under the broad definition. It isn't just millionaires and the bigwigs in the Red Elephant Club that are given "booster" status.
 
I

imported_RollTideRandy

Porterhouse said:
Bamapossum said:
The problem with reining in boosters is the very broad definition of booster as defined by the NCAA.

While many think that boosters are monied people with skyboxes and campus priveleges, any one who gives time or money to the university, OR is an alumnus can be considered a booster.

UA has literally tens of thousands of boosters as defined by the NCAA. You don't have to be Logan Young.

I was about to post the same thing. Members in the Touchdown Club (and other levels of course) of TidePride are considered boosters, and many probably don't even realize it. I'm sure folks who subscribe to CrimsonTradition could even be labeled boosters under the broad definition. It isn't just millionaires and the bigwigs in the Red Elephant Club that are given "booster" status.

I was pretty shocked the day I received a letter from the AD's office informing me that I was considered a booster. I think I'm considered a booster just for the fact that I attended Coach Fran Football Fantasy camp a few years ago.
 

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
RollTideRandy said:
Porterhouse said:
Bamapossum said:
The problem with reining in boosters is the very broad definition of booster as defined by the NCAA.

While many think that boosters are monied people with skyboxes and campus priveleges, any one who gives time or money to the university, OR is an alumnus can be considered a booster.

UA has literally tens of thousands of boosters as defined by the NCAA. You don't have to be Logan Young.

I was about to post the same thing. Members in the Touchdown Club (and other levels of course) of TidePride are considered boosters, and many probably don't even realize it. I'm sure folks who subscribe to CrimsonTradition could even be labeled boosters under the broad definition. It isn't just millionaires and the bigwigs in the Red Elephant Club that are given "booster" status.

I was pretty shocked the day I received a letter from the AD's office informing me that I was considered a booster. I think I'm considered a booster just for the fact that I attended Coach Fran Football Fantasy camp a few years ago.

Was it hot in College Station when you were out there?
 

rammajamma

Verified Member
Century Club
It Takes Eleven said:
RollTideRandy said:
Porterhouse said:
Bamapossum said:
The problem with reining in boosters is the very broad definition of booster as defined by the NCAA.

While many think that boosters are monied people with skyboxes and campus priveleges, any one who gives time or money to the university, OR is an alumnus can be considered a booster.

UA has literally tens of thousands of boosters as defined by the NCAA. You don't have to be Logan Young.

I was about to post the same thing. Members in the Touchdown Club (and other levels of course) of TidePride are considered boosters, and many probably don't even realize it. I'm sure folks who subscribe to CrimsonTradition could even be labeled boosters under the broad definition. It isn't just millionaires and the bigwigs in the Red Elephant Club that are given "booster" status.

I was pretty shocked the day I received a letter from the AD's office informing me that I was considered a booster. I think I'm considered a booster just for the fact that I attended Coach Fran Football Fantasy camp a few years ago.

Was it hot in College Station when you were out there?

Thats funny right there I don't care who you are.
 
G

Guest

BarnBurner

Verified Member
Sideline Club
Meanwhile USC openly violates every recruiting rule there is, doesn't self report, and nobody seems to notice (except for a few million people that read the sports page). It'd be my guess that Alabama will recieve some sort of punishment over this.
 

Crimson&WhiteGecko

Century Club
BamaDelta said:
Crimson&WhiteGecko said:
I'm fairly certain that the zero tolerance has to be primary (major) violations to qualify for major penalties.

Yeah, but do any of us know for sure? Not really since we're talking NCAA.

And does this little tidbit help or hurt us?

Alabama committed two secondary violations during the same time period last season under coach Mike Shula. (from http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/07/06/bc.fbc.alabama.violations.ap/index.html )

As you said, I'm not sure any of us can know for sure. Was this the same paper that said Rich Rodriguez was coming to 'Bama?

Also, I wonder to what extent this paper went to determine what type of booster's were involved? I had no idea that the NCAA considered those mentioned in 'Possum's & Porter's posts to be boosters too. But it did seem blatantly obvious to me that these 'boosters' helped out these guys some..
 

Crimson&WhiteGecko

Century Club
BarnBurner said:
Meanwhile USC openly violates every recruiting rule there is, doesn't self report, and nobody seems to notice (except for a few million people that read the sports page). It'd be my guess that Alabama will recieve some sort of punishment over this.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Don't ge me started on this one... :x
 
G

Guest

I'm sure my opinion won't be popular here, but these violations are inexcusable. Unless/until I know more of the story to change my mind the booster activity is stupid; the GA activity is absolutely mind boggling; and the activity by Coach Saban is icing on the cake. :?

I hope this is the only criticism I have for a while for Coach Saban, but $32 million should ensure this type stuff doesn't take place. Maybe this type stuff is done all the time, but I have a hard time believing Mal Moore and company didn't make it perfectly clear what was expected in regard to NCAA compliance. It's real simple...don't cross the line, don't toe the line, don't even come near the freakin' line.

The booster stuff...who knows what all that involves. Dang, leave the recruits to the coaching staff. :x I'm really hoping this is all very innocent type activity, and I won't go any further down this road.

That leads me to my biggest concern in all this....the GA providing transportation. Come on! Why break the rules for one recruit?! Haven't we learned our lesson in that dept.?! Let me guess, this recruit probably didn't even sign with us and if he did he'll probably be a bust. Just the way things usually go with UA in this type scenario. :roll:

If I were Saban I would want to talk to this GA pronto...then again, what would he say? He has a violation of his own. And all this right before we got off probation. Perfect timing. :x

I hope I'm blowing this all out of context. I wouldn't doubt if action is taken by the NCAA, and I can't say I'd blame them. How much more arrogant can we be?
 

Crimson&WhiteGecko

Century Club
Delta,

You make the point of my only concern about CNS. Lets say that we do win one or 2 NC w/ a great coach like CNS but contract the death penalty in the process...not worth it all.

CNS is the guy that the media would love to incriminate regarding the NCAA violations & so would other schools for that matter. It would be mud in our faces especially since we paid him more than anyone else...ever.

Now, I truly hope that I'm jumping to conclusions about this whole issue. However, CNS is a great recruiter & one must wonder to what extents he goes to recruit. TWO things are certain:

1st. CNS hasn't worked for an school w/ the type of scrutiny we are receiving...neither has any other coach for any other school in history either. This will be a challenge for him & staff especially if they expect to get the same results that they are accustomed to.

2nd. CNS is so totally screwed when it comes to doing any little thing wrong...especially when it comes to violations of the NCAA. He's screwed from the national media standpoint & w/ the BAMA Nation if in fact the NCAA starts crazy inquiries.

One thing that is certain though, we should take a clue w/ what USC is doing to block any investigation work that NCAA is trying to do :roll: . Pete Carroll should start doing seminars w/ CNS sitting on the front row.

For the record, I'm not to concerned about the direct outcome of these violations but I AM concerned about the indirect results that are telling of CNS staff & what MAY come from it...

How's that for doom & gloom :cry: ?
 
Top Bottom