| NEWS Could Tennessee Vols' next AD be Phillip Fulmer?

18Champs

Phillip Fulmer likes everything he sees from Tennessee's athletic program these days.

The former Vols football coach remains confident in Butch Jones' ability to return the football team back to the top of the SEC. He is encouraged by the energy and enthusiasm with which Rick Barnes' men's basketball team plays and firmly believes Holly Warlick was the right person to replace Pat Summitt as coach of the Lady Vols.

The question is whether Fulmer would like to be in charge of the program.

Tennessee will need a new boss when current athletics director Dave Hart retires this summer, and Fulmer has made it clear he would like to be considered for the position.

"I have really enjoyed getting involved with Dr. (Joe) DiPietro on the President's Council and doing some things with him," Fulmer said of the university's president. "They've got a process (in hiring an athletics director) in place and I'm just anxious to see what that process brings."

When asked on the local radio show "Jared & The GM" earlier this week what he thought about listeners who called in saying he should be the Vols AD, Fulmer said, "I think they're pretty smart."

Fulmer has kept close tabs on the Vols athletic program since learning last summer that Hart, who was hired in 2011, was leaving.

"We're at a unique time at Tennessee in our history," Fulmer said. "We've been through some really tough issues. Butch has done a great job with the football team. I love Rick Barnes and watching his kids play basketball. Talent-wise he hasn't had time to get it to where he wants it to be, but they play so hard and they're fun to watch. And I've known Hollysince she was a kid."

Knoxville News Sentinel columnist Mike Strange has written about Fulmer as a possible candidate for the athletics director's position along with several others, including Chattanooga AD David Blackburn, who served as director of football operations on Fulmer's staff at Tennessee, and former Vols defensive back Charles Davis.

"To me this is a very important time in our history to, not just creep back to the top, but jump back to the top," Fulmer said. "And I think we have a chance to do that."

Could Tennessee Vols' next AD be Phillip Fulmer?

I guess he'll assist Butch Jones with the x's and O's...Lots of O's.

phil-fulmer-krispy-kreme.jpg

Things started changing late last week in Tennessee's search for an athletics director.

Now, especially with newly confirmed and soon-to-start Chancellor Dr. Beverly J. Davenport meeting today on campus with Dr. Joe DiPietro and others, as well as attending the Lady Vols' upset win against No. 6 Notre Dame, it appears Davenport's search for a new athletic director has a clear-cut favorite and familiar name: Phillip Fulmer.

While sources Sunday night and into Monday morning were continuing to indicate Davenport is adamant she wants UT to interview sitting athletics directors, with a source indicating last Friday was the deadline for interested potential candidates to submit their curriculum vitae and qualifications, Fulmer has gone from wishful candidate early in the process to replace the forced-out Hart to off the radar and now back front and center.

Literally, Fulmer was front row in courtside seats alongside John "Thunder" Thornton for the Lady Vols' game and also recently sat courtside for a Vols' hoops game.

In fact two different sources, intricately connected to University of Tennessee athletics, on Monday told 247Sports that a move to tab Fulmer as the new top athletics administrator was "about done" and another saying "it's all but done" in terms of hiring Fulmer to a multi-year deal as A.D.

Additionally, numerous sources on Monday told 247Sports that Fulmer's strong rapport with UT system president Dr. Joe DiPietro, particularly their work together as ambassadors and in fundraising for UT approximately the past half-year.

Lastly, Fulmer according to multiple sources has the backing of a couple of Tennessee's overwhelmingly most prominent boosters.

With Davenport likely in town the majority of this week, per sources speaking on condition of anonymity because UT is deferring public comment on its search process, it also is indicated indepth talks on the A.D. position are imminent in the coming days.

BREAKING: Sources say Fulmer as Tennessee Vols athletic director 'about done'

The Vile nation loves that fat summbitch!!! They introduced him and fourhead Manning before the BAMA game this past season and that shithole of a stadium smelt like sex!!
I've seen both sides with some fans saying they think he'll put them in further in the dary abyss they are in now.

There's a few major booster--like Thornton--who are in Fulmer's corner.

I've seen both sides with some fans saying they think he'll put them in further in the dary abyss they are in now.

There's a few major booster--like Thornton--who are in Fulmer's corner.

I've lurked on a Vile board and seen the same. I tend to think he drags them further down to be honest and I love it!!

I've lurked on a Vile board and seen the same.
Not that it is indicative of their entire fan base but you certainly can get a feel for what a lot are thinking from the comments on the article @12gage posted above.

I get it. It's very familiar if you think about it ... the older money boosters are looking in the past and hoping to regain what they've lost without acknowledging the fact what was lost fell largely on Fulmer.

Now, contrast that with the recent hires at Bama with CAJ, CNS, and now Byrne. To me, it's a clear indication of the PTB at Bama looking foward while respecting the past.

^^^

Even though it had been stated that UT would hire a chancellor before hiring an athletic director, the feeling in Vol Nation was that an AD had to be in place by December to possibly make some tough decisions.

What if football coach Butch Jones left? Who would hire his replacement? What if Jones had to hire a new offensive coordinator? Who would approve the contract?

If I'm Hart and I know Jones in on his last leg of his tenure in Knoxville, I'd be tempted to leave the next hire up to the next AD.

The one thing I don't get is IF they know they are moving Fulmer into the AD role, why wait until March or April? There's really no rush as I see this...but, I can't understand why wait either.

That took a turn from the 2 candidates being discussed. I think it was smart to look beyond the Tennessee roots on a new AD. After all, he'll be hiring a new football coach soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom