| FTBL Computer rankings

BamaGradinTN

Verified Member
Guys, look, obviously I exaggerated when I said earlier that the Gators are screwed. I know some of you probably think I'm an idiot. All I'm saying is, don't be surprised if it happens, and it just goes to show how stupid it is to have one third of the championship riding on the computers. And keep this in mind: We all know that Bama is #1. If Florida beats Bama, we all believe that they just beat the #1 team. But only three computers agree with us. There are three computers that don't. One thinks we're #2, one thinks we're #3, and one thinks we're #4. If Florida narrowly beats Bama, in the mind of the Massey computer, the Gators didn't beat the #1 team, they beat the #4 team. Again...just a few more examples:

1. Can anyone explain to me how two computers,the Sagarin and Wolfe computers, can have Texas Tech ranked ahead of Oklahoma right now? If beating TT, the number 2 team in the country, 65-21 wasn't good enough to move Okla past TT, why would anyone be so certain that those two computers will move Florida all the way from seven to two by narrowly beating Alabama...which three of them don't even think is the #1 team? Would anyone bet money right now on what that computer's really gonna be thinking when the smoke clears? TT ahead of Okla right now?

2. There apparently is even an anti-SEC bias programmed into one of the computers. The top three teams in the Massey computer are Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas Tech. Texas Tech ahead of Bama? Again, would you really bet money one way or the other on what that computer is gonna be thinking if Florida narrowly beats Alabama...which in its microchip brain is only the #4 team in the country?

3. No poll has Texas Tech ranked ahead of USC, but all six computers have TT ahead of USC. Someone want to explain that one to me? Maybe there's an anti-Pac 10 bias. Or maybe there's a pro-Big 12 bias. Could a computer be biased? Sure...since it's programmed by a human.

4. After getting pounded 65-21 by #3 Oklahoma, Texas Tech is still ahead of Florida in 5 of the six computers. Again...is there any logic to that?

5. Although Bama is ahead of Texas in the computer rankings, it's only because they throw out the highest and lowest computer ranking and take the remaining four. If you count all six, Bama and Texas are tied dead even in the computer rankings.

We can say all day long that if the Gators beat Bama that there's no way they will not be in the BCS. But given the stupidity that the computers are exhibiting right now, how can you guarantee that? It's not outrageous to envision Texas beating Missouri's brains out in the B12CG, and to see Oklahoma drilling OSU this weekend. (By the way...one computer has Oklahoma State ranked ahead of Florida!) Then, if Florida looks unimpressive and barely squeaks by Bama...well, I certainly wouldn't put any money on what the computers are gonna do.

And remember the importance of the computer polls: The human polls all have Texas at #4, but their strong computer ranking pushes them up to #2. It is entirely possible that the machines put a team into the BCS game that the humans don't think should be there.

Here's the latest rankings with the computer numbers:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/BCSStandings

If it's not us, I really would like to see the Gators win it also. But I am getting a little tired of the turncoat Vol fans up here now who have jumped on the Gator bandwagon.

Alabama is #1 in the BCS right now.

Florida is #4 in the BCS right now.

If Florida beats Alabama, they will move ahead of us. That will place them in the top 3.

The other two teams are both in the same division of the Big 12. There will not be a NC game with two teams from the same division of the same conference - that have already played each other. They will move Florida past the Big 12 #3 team if Florida wins the SEC. There is no way that a Texas/OU rematch in the NC is justifiable. That gun has already been shot.

Big_Fan said:

If Florida beats Alabama, they will move ahead of us. That will place them in the top 3.

The other two teams are both in the same division of the Big 12. There will not be a NC game with two teams from the same division of the same conference - that have already played each other. They will move Florida past the Big 12 #3 team if Florida wins the SEC. There is no way that a Texas/OU rematch in the NC is justifiable. That gun has already been shot.

That's a human talking...and that's my point...the decision isn't left entirely to humans. The computers don't care if a rematch is justifiable or not...they just crunch the numbers. According to 3 computers Bama isn't #1. And there is no rule that says there can't be a rematch. The computers don't care if they've already played each other or not...but they do look at strength of schedule, and Florida didn't do itself any favors by playing The Citadel. The humans say that Texas is #4 right now...but they aren't. Don't automatically assume that the machines are gonna agree with the humans when the dust settles.

bear facts said:
Computers are only as efficient and reliable as the data they receive and read.

Computers must still rely on human input.

Some folks forget to consider this.

Very true. And some will read the data differently than others, based on how they were programmed to read it and what values they give certain factors. And these computers were obviously programmed to take strength of schedule very seriously. That's why all the computers have Texas Tech significantly ahead of USC...TT not only lost to the team ranked 3rd by the computers, they beat the team ranked 2nd. USC, on the other hand, lost to the team tied for 20th. Even though TT got blown out, the fact that it was Oklahoma and not Oregon State counts heavily in TT's favor. I don't think there are very many people that think TT is better than Florida, but the computers see that loss to an unranked team by the Gators, and it adjusts their score accordingly.

CtrlAltieDel said:
Calling Master Control Program!!

Your input is requested for an overall analysis of the computer vote.

./video_reply/output post:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9tq18N2XJw[/youtube]

End of Line...

If Florida goes undefeated in their next two games...there is literally no way they're not going to the NC. There is no way. It's not even a valid argument. Only one team from the Big 12 South can go to their championship game and Florida winning theirs will give them one more win than the other teams. There is just no possible way and I can't stress it enough. Besides...the two human polls hold a lot more weight than the computer rankings.

MASTERCONTROLPROGRAM said:
./video_reply/output post:

End of Line...

Thanks, MCP. Your input is always valued.

Nice picture of my brother in law you have at the beginning of your digital response.

BamaGradinTN said:
Big_Fan said:

That's a human talking
...and that's my point...the decision isn't left entirely to humans. The computers don't care if a rematch is justifiable or not...they just crunch the numbers. According to 3 computers Bama isn't #1. And there is no rule that says there can't be a rematch. The computers don't care if they've already played each other or not...but they do look at strength of schedule, and Florida didn't do itself any favors by playing The Citadel. The humans say that Texas is #4 right now...but they aren't. Don't automatically assume that the machines are gonna agree with the humans when the dust settles.

Which also accounts for 2/3rds of the BCS ranking system

but this week, the computers are what put Texas #2. Both human polls have Texas #4 (granted the number of points separating 2-4 aren't the large), the computers gave them a .960. the computers were the ones that jumped Texas...

planomateo said:
but this week, the computers are what put Texas #2. Both human polls have Texas #4 (granted the number of points separating 2-4 aren't the large), the computers gave them a .960. the computers were the ones that jumped Texas...

But you have to understand if Florida goes to 12-1...they will have an extra win than a 11-1 Big12 South runner up. If you forget the fact that beating the number 1 team will most definitely move you up to the top two in both the AP and Coach's polls which already account to 2/3 of the BCS rankings...then you still have that extra win...which will be calculated by computers.

The only reason the computer gave an edge to Texas is because at this point nobody in the country that votes in the human polls can decide who number two is...thus divided votes.

BamaCore said:
planomateo said:

But you have to understand if Florida goes to 12-1...they will have an extra win than a 11-1 Big12 South runner up. If you forget the fact that beating the number 1 team will most definitely move you up to the top two in both the AP and Coach's polls which already account to 2/3 of the BCS rankings...then you still have that extra win...which will be calculated by computers.

The only reason the computer gave an edge to Texas is because at this point nobody in the country that votes in the human polls can decide who number two is...thus divided votes.

The Harris poll is the third poll in the system, not the AP poll. The AP poll has absolutely no meaning in the BCS system.

Just look at the numbers. No, the computers give the edge to Texas because the computers remember that Texas beat Oklahoma. Humans see a 65-21 beat down of a team that beat Texas, and they are swayed by that. The computer remembers that, on the field, Texas has already beaten Oklahoma. Also, Texas has three wins over ranked teams, #3, 12, &13, where Oklahoma only has two, over #7 and 14.

You keep talking about "if Florida beats the #1 team". You are overlooking the fact that half the computers say that Texas is the #1 team. Those three computers have Bama ranked 2, 3, & 4. In those computers' "minds", Florida would only be beating the #2, 3, or 4 team depending on the computer. This is mathematical fact...all you have to do is see where the computers have Bama ranked.

Also, while Florida may end up with an extra game over Oklahoma, Oklahoma is about to pad their strength of schedule in the computers' minds by beating the #12 team while Florida beats the #20 team. And again, remember that one computer actually has Okla. State ranked 6th, ahead of Florida!

BamaCore said:
If Florida goes undefeated in their next two games...there is literally no way they're not going to the NC. There is no way. It's not even a valid argument. Only one team from the Big 12 South can go to their championship game and Florida winning theirs will give them one more win than the other teams. There is just no possible way and I can't stress it enough. Besides...the two human polls hold a lot more weight than the computer rankings.
Hey if we go undefeated in the next 2 games Bama goes to the NC game! POINT :!:

BamaGradinTN said:
BamaCore said:
planomateo said:

The Harris poll is the third poll in the system, not the AP poll. The AP poll has absolutely no meaning in the BCS system.

Just look at the numbers. No, the computers give the edge to Texas because the computers remember that Texas beat Oklahoma. Humans see a 65-21 beat down of a team that beat Texas, and they are swayed by that. The computer remembers that, on the field, Texas has already beaten Oklahoma. Also, Texas has three wins over ranked teams, #3, 12, &13, where Oklahoma only has two, over #7 and 14.

You keep talking about "if Florida beats the #1 team". You are overlooking the fact that half the computers say that Texas is the #1 team. Those three computers have Bama ranked 2, 3, & 4. In those computers' "minds", Florida would only be beating the #2, 3, or 4 team depending on the computer. This is mathematical fact...all you have to do is see where the computers have Bama ranked.

Also, while Florida may end up with an extra game over Oklahoma, Oklahoma is about to pad their strength of schedule in the computers' minds by beating the #12 team while Florida beats the #20 team. And again, remember that one computer actually has Okla. State ranked 6th, ahead of Florida!

I'm sorry...but if you honestly think that Florida would get snubbed if they win the next two...then please explain 2006 to me, because using the same logic...we should have seen an Ohio State and Michigan rematch. You know why we didn't? Extra game: SEC Championship.

BamaCore said:
BamaGradinTN said:
BamaCore said:
planomateo said:

I'm sorry...but if you honestly think that Florida would get snubbed if they win the next two...then please explain 2006 to me, because using the same logic...we should have seen an Ohio State and Michigan rematch. You know why we didn't? Extra game: SEC Championship.

Well, to begin with, Florida was jumped over Michigan in the human polls also. This year, Florida is already #2 in one of the human polls.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex?seasonYear=2006&weekNumber=14&seasonType=2

And actually, your question can't really be answered without seeing how the computers had them ranked at the time. Show me where I can find that info and maybe I could tell you.

Even ESPN saw a Michigan-Ohio State rematch as a possibility, though.:

"The Game, replayed for the national title in January?
Could be.
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=263220194

Back
Top Bottom