| FTBL College Football News: Strength of Schedule rankings for the 133 teams in FBS, 2023.

A question.
I know how strength of schedule is defined, but for the sake of argument. Is it tougher to play 12 teams ranked from 25-50, or tougher to manage a schedule with 10 teams ranked 110-128, and 2 teams in the top 10.
Assuming the teams playing theses schedules are top 10 teams themselves.

The 1st schedule would have the team favored in every match (not just by Vegas but by the pundits as well)

Now the 2nd schedule may have that same team not favored in 2 of the games.

Get my drift?

Last edited:
A question.
I know how strength of schedule is defined, but for the sake of argument. Is it tougher to play 12 teams ranked from 25-50, or tougher to manage a schedule with 10 teams ranked 110-128, and 2 teams in the top 10.
Assuming the teams playing theses schedules are top 10 teams themselves.
Answer your question with a question.

Which team of the two is in the best shape come November? I'm not talking about wins and losses, I'm talking about the physical ability to compete.

The joke is the pups schedule ranking 63rd. On paper, the only tough game is at the vile’s in November. In fact, they only have two true away games with the other being at cow patty u. Their non-conference schedule is a bigger joke. Their “rivalry” game with GT has been nothing but a gimme putt for decades … and the other three teams, including UAB, they could beat with their squad players. Can you tell I don’t like the pups? Well, I don’t but my take on their weak schedule is valid on its face.

I live in Georgia and I can hardly listen to local sports talk shows without hearing how their schedule isn’t as easy as it’s being made out to be. I agree but only that it’s easier than it’s being made out to be. Last week I bought SEC Championship tickets just so I can hopefully watch Bama restore order in the SEC. And with the pups schedule, Bama will most likely have to once again face them for a second time in the Championship game. Beating them twice would mean half of their bandwagon fans will be silenced at least until this time next season. The prospect of that alone is worth splurging for tickets to the NC game as well! Though that will be a tough sell to my wife. So, I might have an unexpected business trip to Houston in January. 😉

Answer your question with a question.

Which team of the two is in the best shape come November? I'm not talking about wins and losses, I'm talking about the physical ability to compete.
Yes I agree 100%, this is just for the sake of argument/discussion.
What I’m asking is 10-2 better if you lose to 2 top 10 teams, or if you lose to 2 top 35 teams.
I do agree that the grind of the 1st schedule will catch up quicker, but I had this discussion years ago. I guess this made me think of that discussion. Just wanted to see where other people fall on this

What I’m asking is 10-2 better if you lose to 2 top 10 teams, or if you lose to 2 top 35 teams.
As much as I hate the term "quality loss," it applies here, right?

If it's the playoff committee, one could only hope they'd value two losses to two top ten teams more highly. I suspect they would/will.

With the polls? In some cases, I don't know if it would matter. I believe a 10-2 USC team, with those losses to two teams ranked outside of the top ten, would be ranked higher than a 10-2 Baylor team with two losses to two top ten teams (assuming the rest of their schedule is weak.)

Yes I agree 100%, this is just for the sake of argument/discussion.
I do agree that the grind of the 1st schedule will catch up quicker, but I had this discussion years ago. I guess this made me think of that discussion. Just wanted to see where other people fall on this

For some reason the “rankers” rarely rank teams as I would rank them. Go figure.🤔 That being said I’d rank the team with losses to two top ten teams way over the team with two top 35 losses. I’m assuming you’re asking about their ratings at the end of the season as opposed to the rankings when they played? With the expanded playoffs, I know as a Bama fan, I’d rather Bama play a tough non-conference schedule with a loss or two than a milk toast schedule with one loss.

Back
Top Bottom