| FTBL ESPN- Biggest strength for teams in 2022 Way-Too-Early college football top 25

Max

With our 2022 Way-Too-Early college football top 25 established, we asked our reporters what each team's biggest strength will be in the coming season -- in other words, what makes the best teams so good.

Looking into a crystal ball more than six months before the start of the season can be a bit murky, particularly with the transfer portal continuing to churn, but here is what our experts came up with.

1. Alabama: Pass-rushing LBs​

You'll have to keep a close eye on the quarterback when Alabama plays, and not just because the Crimson Tide return Heisman Trophy winner Bryce Young, who threw for 4,872 yards and 47 touchdowns in his first season as the starter. You'll have to watch the opposing QB carefully as well because Alabama's defense possesses what promises to be the best pass-rush tandem in college football. On one side at outside linebacker will be Will Anderson Jr., the presumptive first-round draft pick who led the country in sacks (17.5) and tackles for loss last season (31). On the other side at outside linebacker is Dallas Turner, who came on like a rocket late last season with 5.5 sacks in the final four games, earning Freshman All-America honors. -- Alex Scarborough

3. Georgia: Tight end​

Georgia's Brock Bowers was called "one of the premier players in college football" by Alabama coach Nick Saban. Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports
Good luck to the linebackers and safeties trying to cover Georgia's tight ends next season. Alabama coach Nick Saban called freshman Brock Bowers "one of the premier players in college football," and after Bowers scored 13 touchdowns last season, it's hard to argue the point. But Bowers isn't alone. Darnell Washington, at 6-foot-7, is a matchup nightmare who struggled with injuries early in the season and could be poised for a breakout junior year. Then there's Arik Gilbert, who looked like a star in the making at LSU in 2020, transferred to Georgia and hasn't been heard from since. While he wasn't part of the team last season, he was a student and could return to the fold, adding to the talent at offensive coordinator Todd Monken's disposal. -- Scarborough

4. Texas A&M: Defensive line​

Defensive coordinator Mike Elko is now the head coach at Duke, and several of the Aggies' outstanding defensive linemen headed for the NFL, including DeMarvin Leal, a probable first-round pick. Even so, the Aggies are stocked there thanks to several stacked recruiting classes, including a freshman group that will include the nation's Nos. 1 and 2 defensive tackles and No. 6 and No. 9 defensive ends in the ESPN 300. And an experienced secondary, featuring safety Antonio Johnson, Pro Football Focus' best returning safety in the country, plus stars in safety Demani Richardson (32 games played), cornerbacks Tyreek Chappell (SEC coaches' all-freshman team) and Jaylon Jones (started 22 games in two seasons), will allow new coordinator D.J. Durkin to turn those big fellas loose up front. -- Dave Wilson

20. Arkansas: Offensive line​

It should surprise no one that longtime offensive line coach Sam Pittman returns what promises to be one of the best offensive lines in the SEC next season. The only significant loss is Myron Cunningham, a three-year starter at left tackle. Left guard Brady Latham, right guard Beaux Limmer, center Ricky Stromberg and right tackle Dalton Wagner are all back. Throw in four-stars Andrew Chamblee and E'Marion Harris -- the Razorbacks' second- and third-highest-rated prospects in the 2022 class -- and there's a lot to feel good about up front on offense. -- Scarborough

21. Kentucky: Offensive backfield​

Quarterback Will Levis and running backs Chris Rodriguez Jr. and Kavosiey Smoke are all scheduled to return, giving the Wildcats one of the most experienced and physical offensive backfields in the country. Rodriguez's return is particularly exciting after he rushed for 1,379 yards at 6.1 yards per carry. Kentucky has players to replace elsewhere -- receivers Wan'Dale Robinson and Josh Ali, plus perhaps four of its top six offensive linemen -- but coach Mark Stoops has made some astute transfer portal additions, including receivers Tayvion Robinson (Virginia Tech) and Javon Baker (Alabama) to address those areas. If some new players stick, returning players could carry another ultra-efficient offense. -- Connelly

23. Ole Miss: Offensive line​

Losing a quarterback the caliber of Matt Corral would hurt any offense, but the Rebels should again be good where it really counts -- up front. Nick Broeker returning for his senior season was a huge coup for the Rebels on offense. He has been a fixture at left tackle but could move inside to guard with Western Kentucky transfer Mason Brooks coming over as one of the most coveted tackles in the transfer portal. Jeremy James is also back after playing right tackle a year ago. He has started 23 games at Ole Miss, and Caleb Warren returns after starting 11 games last season at guard. He's versatile enough to move to center. It only helps that TCU transfer Zach Evans steps in as the go-to running back, meaning the Rebels' running game shouldn't fall off any in 2022. -- Low

25. South Carolina: Offensive firepower​

Bringing in quarterback Spencer Rattler and tight end Austin Stogner from the transfer portal gives the Gamecocks the kind of pop on offense they were missing for much of last season. Coach Shane Beamer worked with both players at Oklahoma and knows what he's getting. He also knows that offensive coordinator Marcus Satterfield will have more pieces to work with in 2022, especially with receiver Josh Vann returning after a career year in 2021 along with Jaheim Bell, who is listed as a tight end but will line up everywhere, including the backfield. Running back Juju McDowell showed promise in limited opportunities as a freshman. Three more transfers -- running back Christian Beal-Smith (Wake Forest), Lovasea Carroll (Georgia) and receiver Antwane Wells (James Madison) -- should add firepower to a South Carolina offense that also returns the star of the Duke's Mayo Bowl win over North Carolina, Dakereon Joyner, the Gamecocks' version of Taysom Hill. -- Low

I know many of us have been hoping to see Bama’s defense become dominant again for a number of years now. We were really excited going into the 2021 season but the dominance didn’t really materialize … though they played much better late. For me though, I’m even more excited about the potential of the 2022 defense. There’s going to be talent and experience at all three levels and those bookend pass rushing machines will be a nightmare for opposing OC’s to game plan around them. And maybe, just maybe Bama will finally have one season without multiple injuries to one defensive group. If so, the defense should be awesome.

I know many of us have been hoping to see Bama’s defense become dominant again for a number of years now. We were really excited going into the 2021 season but the dominance didn’t really materialize … though they played much better late. For me though, I’m even more excited about the potential of the 2022 defense. There’s going to be talent and experience at all three levels and those bookend pass rushing machines will be a nightmare for opposing OC’s to game plan around them. And maybe, just maybe Bama will finally have one season without multiple injuries to one defensive group. If so, the defense should be awesome.
Would be awesome indeed. The D really was really good by the end of the year especially against the run. The D came a looooong way from the UF/A&M games. Unfortunately when we needed it in the last 10 minutes of the NC game they did not get it done. With that said I do believe this D should be better for the entire season. As you stated as long as the injury bug does not hit.

Hard to imagine South Carolina and offensive firepower in the same sentence.
I remember we were all talking about going into the game with Notre Dame again when Beamer was hired at UofSC. At the time I said "that's an interesting hire" and I'm getting to the point of saying they've made a good hire: better than Muschamp, Brad Scott, Sparky Woods, and I'd dare say Lou Holtz.

One thing pointed to was Beamer was the recruiting coordinator for Spurrier. I mentioned how the fans related Beamer to the 'Cocks signing guys like Lattimore and Clowney. He was hired to bring in higher profile guys with a nod to the offensive side of the ball.

<Enter Spencer Rattler>

Just as a side note on coaching resumes. Kirby spent one season on the offensive side of the ball: '05, RB's at UGA. His other position duties were safeties, defensive backs, and finally defensive coordinator. Saban never held a positional coach on offense.

Look at Beamer's resume. (As a player he was a wide receiver.) It's one of the most diverse I've seen with him starting as a recruiting coordinator while coaching corner backs then holding the same role except it was running backs with the recruiting position. OLB's, then back to CB's, then to safeties and special teams coach (still RC,) then back to RB's...onto TE's under Riley.

Seeing UofSC and offensive firepower looks strange until we look a little deeper?

On a different note but related:

When I've mentioned Dabo and not seeing the same level of success being sustained, Beamer comes into play with that thought. He's joined by Mack Brown, Josh Heupel, and to a degree Dave Doeren and Dave Clawson.

If you look at the success of one of those teams it always comes at the expense of another. When UNC was fighting Florida State nationally where was Clemson, or South Carolina? Where was Clemson when UT was rolling? And, vice-versa?

The talent found in that little portion of the NSE (Carolina's, Tennessee, etc.) traditionally gravitates towards one program. There's a group of some pretty good coaches and recruiters here along with more than one coach with a national title.

While i always felt LSU n UGA did less with more potential....
USCe has always been the one enigma........of CF....Given the gift of a SEC program....money, prestige, exposure...and then .having Spurrier and Holtz...

And still...never gotten overthe mid- level hump...

I remember we were all talking about going into the game with Notre Dame again when Beamer was hired at UofSC. At the time I said "that's an interesting hire" and I'm getting to the point of saying they've made a good hire: better than Muschamp, Brad Scott, Sparky Woods, and I'd dare say Lou Holtz.

One thing pointed to was Beamer was the recruiting coordinator for Spurrier. I mentioned how the fans related Beamer to the 'Cocks signing guys like Lattimore and Clowney. He was hired to bring in higher profile guys with a nod to the offensive side of the ball.

<Enter Spencer Rattler>

Just as a side note on coaching resumes. Kirby spent one season on the offensive side of the ball: '05, RB's at UGA. His other position duties were safeties, defensive backs, and finally defensive coordinator. Saban never held a positional coach on offense.

Look at Beamer's resume. (As a player he was a wide receiver.) It's one of the most diverse I've seen with him starting as a recruiting coordinator while coaching corner backs then holding the same role except it was running backs with the recruiting position. OLB's, then back to CB's, then to safeties and special teams coach (still RC,) then back to RB's...onto TE's under Riley.

Seeing UofSC and offensive firepower looks strange until we look a little deeper?

On a different note but related:

When I've mentioned Dabo and not seeing the same level of success being sustained, Beamer comes into play with that thought. He's joined by Mack Brown, Josh Heupel, and to a degree Dave Doeren and Dave Clawson.

If you look at the success of one of those teams it always comes at the expense of another. When UNC was fighting Florida State nationally where was Clemson, or South Carolina? Where was Clemson when UT was rolling? And, vice-versa?

The talent found in that little portion of the NSE (Carolina's, Tennessee, etc.) traditionally gravitates towards one program. There's a group of some pretty good coaches and recruiters here along with more than one coach with a national title.
I get it my statement was more of historical context and the UofSC program has always been at best a mid tier program. Beamers teams may be an offensive threat this year for sure. Heck in the end he may be a great hire for South Carolina. Anything to help put some pressure on some of our competitors is a good thing.

@mando

Call it my way too early 2021 prediction. Either Beamer of Heupel, likely both, are going to boat race a team or two this season that no one expects.

Might. Never can tell.
But
Things WE ALL know the SEC is about ...depth....

But playing in SECe ... 3 teams pretty equal Ky. Tn. USCe. Missouri is a ? As is Florida. Vandy will suck. A lot is according to crossover opponents for records

But hope Beamer gets things rolling

I do believe that trip to K'ville is going to be a difficult game for Bama. Then again so will all these road games in 2022.

Texas, Ole Miss, UT, LSU, and Ark. Playing Ole Miss the week after LSU will be a struggle.

JMO but the portal is going to help the middle of the road teams from being bad thus every game you play you must be ready to rumble.

Utah State is going to be good.

I do believe that trip to K'ville is going to be a difficult game for Bama. Then again so will all these road games in 2022.
It's arguable they'll be 5-0 coming off of a road win against LSU when they meet the Tide. Their schedule sets up nicely for an early run. It sets up nicely for a "rat poison" game with that fan base as well. It's easy to see the media frenzy.

A week two win on the road (Pitt) will be looked at through the lens of the '21 ACC champion.
A week four win against Florida at home and they're on a roll in Knoxville. While the Vols have only lost five in a row to Florida they're 4-18 against the Gators this century; three of those wins between '01 and '04.
A week six win against LSU on the road.
Then, in week eight, Alabama visits.

Tacked between those first three games you'll find Ball State, Akron, and bye.

It's arguable they'll be 5-0 coming off of a road win against LSU when they meet the Tide. Their schedule sets up nicely for an early run. It sets up nicely for a "rat poison" game with that fan base as well. It's easy to see the media frenzy.

A week two win on the road (Pitt) will be looked at through the lens of the '21 ACC champion.
A week four win against Florida at home and they're on a roll in Knoxville. While the Vols have only lost five in a row to Florida they're 4-18 against the Gators this century; three of those wins between '01 and '04.
A week six win against LSU on the road.
Then, in week eight, Alabama visits.

Tacked between those first three games you'll find Ball State, Akron, and bye.
@JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

As optimistic as all that is....and its all that....

It can be pessimistic also.... thru 6-7 tough games...littledepth...some injuries...a unexpected loss or a couple blowouts... may be "same o same o" with realistic fans.....

But...I expect... Tennessee to be tough.....at Knoxville after 0-15....1-16 vs Tide...
Motors should be revved up

Back
Top Bottom