| MBB/WBB đźŹ€ CM Newton Classic: Davidson Upsets No. 10/11 Alabama, 79-78

Same old Bama basketball. Losing to mid majors that we should handle due to horrendous effort. I'll never get it.

Pearl and Auburn don't seem to have this trouble. Thought we'd get over it with Oats, but it's apparent we never will. This group of guys don't realize their athleticism and talent, and certainly don't buy into defense.

Allowing 53% shooting and 50% from 3pt range will not cut it ever. On the positive side looks like the rebounding was better. Sounds like it was good that I did not watch would have been frustrating.
1640138626117.png

This team is very frustrating. Lots of potential but far from reaching it. We finally had a good rebound game. That was something positive. We beat a good team them lose to small schools that we could realistically face in the first or second round of the big dance.

Do you ever watch us on offense and wonder if we are running anything? Often I find myself thinking, what the hell is our strategy and what are the guys supposed to be running.

This team is very frustrating. Lots of potential but far from reaching it. We finally had a good rebound game. That was something positive. We beat a good team them lose to small schools that we could realistically face in the first or second round of the big dance.

Do you ever watch us on offense and wonder if we are running anything? Often I find myself thinking, what the hell is our strategy and what are the guys supposed to be running.
It looks like the strategy on offense is for JQ to bring the ball up drive to the basket and look for kick outs for 3 pointers. He usually drives out of control and stumbling and throws the ball away.

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The No. 10/11 Alabama men's basketball team dropped a narrow 79-78 decision against Davidson Tuesday night in the C.M. Newton Classic which was played in Legacy Arena.

The Crimson Tide trailed by as many as 10 points in the final minutes before fighting back to nearly force overtime. However, Jahvon Quinerly missed his second of two free throw attempts as Alabama (9-3) lost for the second time in its last three games heading into the Christmas break.

Alabama was led by Jaden Shackelford's 20 points on the strength of four threes. Juwan Gary added 15 points and a team-leading eight boards while Quinerly finished with 13 points and six assists.

Head Coach Nate Oats Postgame Comments​

"Give a lot of credit to Davidson, I thought they came in and played hard. They played hard and they played well. They shot the ball well; they have good shooters, three of their guys combined to go 10-of-18. We did not do great on defense. We haven't done well recently in that area. We are going to have to pick it up defensively if we want to win games and until we do that, we aren't going to be able to beat quality teams. Our offense wasn't bad, we lost the game on the defensive end. Not exactly what we wanted heading into Christmas break, but I am all about a wake-up in order to pick up the defense. I don't know how many wake-up calls we're going to need to pick up the defense, but we're not going win a lot of games in the SEC at a high level until we decide to guard better than what we did tonight."

Team Stats​

• Davidson established Alabama opponent highs in assists (22), three-pointers made (12), three-point field goal percentage (50.0 percent) and field goal percentage (53.4 percent)
  • The Crimson Tide outrebounded the Wildcats, 39-27, including 16-4 on the offensive glass to own a 17-6 edge in second chance points
  • Noah Gurley led the team with a +/- of +17 while collecting nine points, six rebounds and a team-leading two blocked shots

First Half​

• After trailing 4-2, the Tide scored eight unanswered points to take a 10-4 lead with 15:27 left in the first half
  • The Wildcats answered with a 16-0 run of their own, taking a 23-12 lead with 8:39 on the clock which forced an Alabama timeout
  • Alabama chipped away at Davidson's run to grab a one-point lead (35-34) at the 2:31 mark, but a 7-0 run gave the Wildcats a six-point lead heading into the break (41-35)
  • Gary finished the half with 10 points and four rebounds while Shackelford posted 12 points, two rebounds, an assist and a steal
  • Six different players scored in the first half with Gary, Shackelford and Quinerly accounting for 28 of Alabama's 35 points

Second Half​

• The Wildcats started the second half with 11-4 run to build to their largest lead of the game of 13 points (54-41)
  • UA outscored the Wildcats 23-10 over the next nine minutes with a layup from Gurley tying the game at 64-64 with under 7 minutes to play
  • After a push from Davidson saw the team extend its lead to 10 points (79-69) with 2:01 to play, the Tide scored nine unanswered to close the game, but came up just short at the final horn
  • Keon Ellis shot 3-of-4 from the floor, with two baskets coming beyond the arc, to lead the team in the half with nine points

Up Next​

• Alabama begins its Southeastern Conference slate Dec. 29, hosting No. 19/19 Tennessee in the SEC opener at 8 p.m. CT at Coleman Coliseum

Might be a rough start to SEC play. These guys are going to have to get that playing hard on D can't be optional. I expect them to figure it out but there may be some lumps along the way.

Finished listening to Oats' press conference. Once again, he seems pissed. Do wonder if Oats will make a move on Charlie Henry if things continue throughout the year.

Big challenge ahead against TN and Fulkerson underneath. Bediako will have to again step up to the challenge.

Interesting info. My takeaway it seems like the D efficiency is actually better with JD but not the offensive efficiency. Probably makes sense since the offense just seems smoother with the ball in JQ's hands. Overall efficiency drops a lot when JD is on the court.

Surprising that the grouping (CB, KE, JQ, KD, Shack) with the best D efficiency has the worse offensive efficiency. I would think this is the group Oats would prefer but for some reason the offense is not working with that grouping.

CNO might want to scrap driving the lane and looking for kick outs for 3 pointers. Last 2 losses......Memphis 10 of 33.....Davidson 12 of 36.
This is the core of CNO's system. Those numbers are not that atypical for 3 pointers for his teams. Maybe a little better at times. The difference is the D and/or rebounding in my view.

CNO might want to scrap driving the lane and looking for kick outs for 3 pointers. Last 2 losses......Memphis 10 of 33.....Davidson 12 of 36.
Yeah he's not going to change his whole philosophy based on two games. But what has hurt us mostly I would say are defenses not respecting our ability to get to the basket. This reduces our paint touches, which leads to more difficult shot selections. Gary, Bediako, and Gurley just aren't providing enough of an inside threat, so the opposition can just zone us out. We're also getting lazy possessions where we pass the ball around the perimeter and just shooting 3s. Oats has repeatedly said he wants at least one paint touch before they take a shot. His philosophy is he'll give his guys the offensive freedom, but he wants the shot selection to be smart and guys to give max effort on crashing the glass.

Screenshot_20211222-162735_Chrome.jpg

Maybe it's fatigue, but our efficiency has dropped off since Houston. Guys aren't making smart cuts to the basket; they're careless with the ball; no one is manning up to rebound; blow bys on defense are getting worse; and the effort has taken a turn for the worse. Maybe when Pettway gets back, it'll turn around.

Maybe when Pettway gets back, it'll turn around.
Where is Pettway?

Fully agree these guys are not showing the quickness and effort they showed earlier. Almost like they beat Gonzaga and then thought if they just show up they will win (can you say rat poison). This speaks to leadership and experience. It also seem like Oats was trying to get JD more involved and that kind of derailed things. I certainly understand him trying to do that because if he could get JQ/Shack/JD playing at a high level they would be very hard to beat. Unfortunately it may have backfired at least in the short term.

Back
Top Bottom