| FTBL Clemson Persepctive - Hopefully Objective (Long I apologize)

jmactiger said:
Cullen had surgery before the bowl game and showed some affects but he's fine now. This may sound crazy with as much praise and preseason attention as he's getting but I'm not sold on Cullen and still think Korn has the better upside. Anyway, the coaches know way more than I do and have much more on the line when it comes to wins and losses than I do so I'll continue to blindly trust.

Is this a staple with every college football fan base? The back-up always has a better upside?

Geez, with BAMA, this type of conversation goes back for decades! :lol:

Perhaps in some cases you'd be right but that's not my perspective. I've been going to games for 30+ yrs and I can only remember a few times I've looked for the backup to start. I think a lot of Clemson supporters feel like we would've won just as many games last year with Korn starting as we did with Cullen. Saying all that, I don't think it matters who plays qb when we open up in the Dome.

jmactiger said:
Perhaps in some cases you'd be right but that's not my perspective. I've been going to games for 30+ yrs and I can only remember a few times I've looked for the backup to start. I think a lot of Clemson supporters feel like we would've won just as many games last year with Korn starting as we did with Cullen. Saying all that, I don't think it matters who plays qb when we open up in the Dome.

Living in the Low Country, I'm very familiar with Korn and the high expectations you guys have for him. That '07 class was interesting with the dual threat QB's considering Clemson and USC had two of the top 5.

The key for us is the lines, both OL and DL. If we can get any decent production out of them I believe we win this game. Clemson's RB's scare the daylights out of me but their great ability might be offset by some mistakes by the inexperienced OL Clemson will be breaking in. Alabama fans have great experience in knowing what ONE weak link on the OL can bring you. It can change the complexion of an entire game.

I think Clemson is actually starting two or three new OL so the potential for disaster is even greater. If they cannot adjust quickly to the stunts and different looks Saban will most definitely throw at them Harper and that great RB duo might have a long day. But if the OL doesn't have any problems, holds their own and we can't get penetration our defense may have an even longer day.

Re: Who do you think BAMA will kick to?

tigerinnebraska1 said:
2 of 5 fastest in coutry will be waiting deep on kickoffs. Or do you think they will just kick short?

http://heismanpundit.com/archives/1618

I'm not, by any means, discounting the speed of Jacoby and Spiller.

When you are talking KR's, Spiller and Arenas are in the same class. Spiller averaged over 28 yards per kick off return, Javy over 24. On punt returns, Javy averaged over 15 per return, Spiller over 8.

Seems like a pretty even wash to me.

I do believe the combination of Spiller and Davis is a great RB duo. However, I don't put them in the same level as the Arkansas combination of McFadden, Jones and Hollis last year.

Both players racked up some yards and TD's last season. Both, have tremendous talent. But, when those two guys faced decent defenses they struggled. As example, when you faced the trio of BC (best game), Va Tech and Ga. Tech your running game didn't break the 100 yard mark, in all three games combined.

Against Auburn last year Clemson put up 189 yards rushing, 112 from Spiller that included 83 yards in one chunk. We didn't break a long one vs Auburn, but ended the game with 112 yards despite having our starting RB on the bench with a sports hernia injury.

Bottom line, and no disrespect intended, but Spiller and Davis don't worry me a lot because of the issues you'll have breaking in the new group along the OL.

Re: my point, no 3 an 4 fastest players in ncaa fb in k ret

tigerinnebraska1 said:
u gonna have the balls to kick to them, or wimp out and kick short??

Our balls are so big we tackle people with them. So I guess the answers to your three questions are 1)We'll have the balls. 2) Yes we'll kick to Rufus and Ray Ray. 3)No, we won't kick short.

jmactiger said:
Pimpsahoy - I think our DL can hold it's own, but Bowers is just a true freshman. He is a beast and at times is unblockable but he's second team. I don't see a second team freshman being dominate in his first college game. Secondary we're solid too....no concerns there for me. But at LB we're young and thin and that's where we'll get hurt I think.

The running backs scare the crap out of me. They are fast and have good size. That matches up perfectly with our D (we run a 3-4). Clemson should come out and run the ball between the tackles. A 3-4 does not typically fair to well agianst a strong inside running game.

Im not sure about your QB or WR's....but mixing in some play action should be a good weapon.

The key to the game, who ever can get 3rd and shorts should win. JPW has to be able to throw early and force the Clemson D to cover the run and pass.

BTW, our special teams are not that great. Some games we play amazing on special teams, others....we look stupid. To me, we seem very sporadic.

Im going to say that Clemson wins 28-14, they establish a running game and chip away at the Bama D. It will be close until the last 7 or 8 mins of the game.

tigerinnebraska1 said:

If you bring something into this conversation I'll think about getting back into this conversation. As demonstrated above, there is no difference in what Clemson brings to the field in special teams (kick/punt returns) than what Bama brings. Any yet, Bama didn't rank as the best return team in SEC last season but handled those teams that were betters successfully.

The question that bears answering is if you are going to bring some viewpoints into the conversations that have any value?

If not, run along now. So far, at least since last night, you have done nothing more than re-affirm the stereo-type that Clemson is another Auburn.

tigerinnebraska1 said:

Like U are out their playing and kicking LOL

Back
Top Bottom