| FTBL City of Tuscaloosa no longer providing Gameday Shuttles...

TerryP

Staff
A change in federal laws governing public transportation means football fans parking away from campus this fall will arrive at Bryant-Denny Stadium in charter buses, with some fans paying a bit more for the ride.

The Tuscaloosa Transit Authority was forced to drop its shuttle service from University Mall and downtown on Crimson Tide game days. Under a Federal Transit Administration regulation that took effect May 1, local transit authorities no longer can offer game-day shuttle service to fans if that service is: not part the regular schedule; if the fee is higher than the regular fare; or if a team or other group is involved, and negotiate a special price for the service.

The penalty for failure to comply is stiff — loss of federal transportation funding.

Mash for the story from the T-town News

Ridiculous. Does the dam* government ever do anything right? The shuttle was a great service and now its being canceled for no reason. Football games bring tons of money to the Tuscaloosa economy and they can't even provide a shuttle now because of some dumb law.

Tider27 said:
So what happens when the Bryce parking actually is set up? Will UA be paying for the gameday shuttles?

UA charges for shuttles on campus now...it's a 10 buck ride from the Campus Drive parking deck to the Quad, Stadium, etc.

TerryP said:
Tider27 said:
So what happens when the Bryce parking actually is set up? Will UA be paying for the gameday shuttles?

UA charges for shuttles on campus now...it's a 10 buck ride from the Campus Drive parking deck to the Quad, Stadium, etc.

Ah ok, wasn't aware of that.

TerryP said:

Are you kidding?

Isn't the Campus Drive deck just across the street from Ferguson Center? If so, this would be about a 1/4-mile walk to the Quad and about a 1/2-mile walk to the Stadium - maybe a touch more. Heck, I can ride those distances in a NYC taxi-cab for less than $10 - even if what UA charges is for the roundtrip.

alagator said:
TerryP said:

Are you kidding?

Isn't the Campus Drive deck just across the street from Ferguson Center? If so, this would be about a 1/4-mile walk to the Quad and about a 1/2-mile walk to the Stadium - maybe a touch more. Heck, I can ride those distances in a NYC taxi-cab for less than $10 - even if what UA charges is for the roundtrip.

Check the thread out that talks about Gameday just a few threads down. It should be worth noting as well that this the major handicap lot as well...and, it isn't 10 bucks a ride/person. So, a group of 10 could ride for 10 the way I read it...

Heck, I've been parking in the same place for years now...and, love the walk back and forth.

he Campus Drive Deck is larger and can accommodate more fans. It is our newest deck on campus and has enhanced services such as restrooms and a vending area. This deck serves as the hub for the Crimson Ride transit system. Buses will be here to transport fans from the deck to the Quad, Rose Administration or to the stadium. In the past, the buses would only transport fans to the stadium from the ten Hoor deck; there was not an option to be transported to the Quad. Athletics is also doubling the number of buses that will go from the Campus Drive Deck to the Stadium this year. This will expand the bus service that fans have had in the past.

All bus transportation from the Campus Drive deck is wheelchair accessible. However, the two lots near the stadium that have traditionally been designated for fans with a wheelchair are still available.

To help offset the cost of the transportation from the deck to the Quad or Stadium, we will be charging $10 per vehicle for parking in the Campus Drive Deck. This is the same price that is charged in the Soccer Lot and other east campus public parking lots. As you know, the price of fuel has risen dramatically in the past few months. Also note that this is a $10/vehicle charge not a $10/person charge.

I always park down around Coleman and walk to the stadium from there. To me, the walk up is one of the best parts of game-day. Taking in the sites and sounds are a close second to the game itself.

Going back to the University for a game is like going home to me. Personally, I like to get there early and get my game face on and look at all the neat improvements they have done since I graduated. So getting there early means I can get a pretty good park and I never have understood why everyone is in such a hurry to leave after its over with. I really get ill at the late 4th quarter lets beat the traffic mass exodus. If it means that much to you to not get caught in traffic, stay home and sell me your ticket at face value or less! :D

Back
Top Bottom