| PRO Chargers head coach: Tony Brown's "Skillset is Off the Charts"

G

Google Inc.

The Undrafted Free Agent Whose "Skillset is Off the Charts"

Head Coach Anthony Lynn is constantly asked at press conferences about the team’s players.

Yet his response to a query about undrafted free agent cornerback Tony Brown will certainly raise some eyebrows.

“It’s hard to tell after one practice, but I was just watching him out there at corner,” Lynn said about the Alabama product. “He can play some free safety as well. I thought he did fine. He’s picking up the system. He’s still learning (and) has a lot going on, but he’s a very gifted young man. Very talented. His skillset is off the charts.”

If anyone would know Brown’s pedigree, it’s Lynn. After all, he played alongside Brown’s father and uncle at Texas Tech. Thus, learning what his head coach had to say holds significant weight as the cornerback insists he’ll use it as a source of motivation.

“Honestly, it means the team has a standard for me that I have to uphold,” he said. “I need to take advantage of this opportunity. I bring a level of aggressiveness that can be useful for any team. I’m a monster on special teams, and I can be a monster on defense. I bring a level of leadership and a winning mentality coming from Alabama.”

It’s clear Brown doesn’t lack confidence in his abilities, which is why he never imagined himself in this position. The cornerback was shocked to not hear his name called during the draft, yet there he was fielding offers as an undrafted free agent once the seventh rounded hit.

“It was extremely shocking,” he said. “You have a lot of emotions during the draft, and when it doesn’t go the way you hoped, your mind goes crazy.”

As you might imagine, Brown didn’t lack for suitors.

Numerous teams sought out the 6-0, 198-pound speedster who ran a 4.35 40-yard dash at the Combine. In addition, he impressed teams with his physical style of play against the run as well as in coverage.

“As a DB, I know you have to play with finesse,” he explained. “But as a football player in general, there’s a level of aggressiveness that needs to be had. I feel like I’ve been that way my entire life. I’m that alpha male who wants to dominate the opponent. To dominate, aggressiveness comes with that.”

It’s easy to see why team after team pitched Brown on signing with them as an undrafted free agent. Unfortunately for them, once he talked with the Chargers, the decision was a no brainer.

“You have to make a decision on what team (to go to) that puts you in the best situation, and that’s the position I’m in right now,” he said. “There were a lot of teams that wanted to sign me, but I felt this was the best place. I talked to Coach Lynn. I met him when I was a child, but I didn’t know a lot about him. But when I talked to him, he let me know the relationship and reminded me of it. He let me know the opportunity I had to make the team here. I liked what he was saying.”

Of course, he also sought the advice of his family members that know Lynn best. Their assurances sealed the deal.

“I talked to my mom, and I felt it was the right place for me. And I was right. I’m loving it!”

Last edited by a moderator:
He's one player you will want to track. He had so much talent and he just was never able to make the coaches happy. I thought when he first got on the field he was a ballhawk. Took chances but timed his way to the receiver very well and with a thump. If ever there was a complete whiff in the draft with Bama players this will be the one.

I think he would be a better strong safety. He loves contact, so let him play in a box where he can come up and help with the run, but has plenty of speed to cover the intermediate stuff.

We actually had 2 guys that every time you saw them they just flashed talent. Tony Brown and Robert Foster. Everytime Foster got the ball I thought don't take him out. He was so freakin' fast and I guarantee the last thing an opponent wanted was to be the guy chasing him from behind. It wouldn't surprise me if they both make a team.

He's one player you will want to track. He had so much talent and he just was never able to make the coaches happy. I thought when he first got on the field he was a ballhawk. Took chances but timed his way to the receiver very well and with a thump. If ever there was a complete whiff in the draft with Bama players this will be the one.

I think the National Championship was the perfect example of his entire career. Starts the game off with a super athletic interception on a deep ball and then one of his last plays is a horrendous 80-yard touchdown pass where he just flat out gets torched. Had to watch his teammates win the game from the sideline.

I think the National Championship was the perfect example of his entire career. Starts the game off with a super athletic interception on a deep ball and then one of his last plays is a horrendous 80-yard touchdown pass where he just flat out gets torched. Had to watch his teammates win the game from the sideline.

A new system, new ideas on how they want him to play it. And really Birdman on getting torched, if that was the criteria for getting sat down, Marlon Humphrey would have been in time out in numerous games. When I called Brown a ballhawk when he first got here I don't think he was showing those instincts later on. In fact, seldom do you see our DBs manifest this quality and we don't have a lot of interceptions to show for it. Not right or wrong, just the style we seem to employ with our defensive alignment. Perhaps much like we demand of our QBs to not make mistakes perhaps that's why we aren't jumping routes more often.

A new system, new ideas on how they want him to play it. And really Birdman on getting torched, if that was the criteria for getting sat down, Marlon Humphrey would have been in time out in numerous games. When I called Brown a ballhawk when he first got here I don't think he was showing those instincts later on. In fact, seldom do you see our DBs manifest this quality and we don't have a lot of interceptions to show for it. Not right or wrong, just the style we seem to employ with our defensive alignment. Perhaps much like we demand of our QBs to not make mistakes perhaps that's why we aren't jumping routes more often.

Angles... He takes bad ones.

Exactly. If he can somehow learn how to stay focused the whole game he could be very good as a pro.

Show me an example of Marlon getting torched on an 80-yard TD... comparing those two is pretty laughable.

Show me an example of Marlon getting torched on an 80-yard TD... comparing those two is pretty laughable.

Why do I have to conjure up an 80-yard play to make my point? Your terminology often gets "laughable" when you want to make your point. We were discussing Tony's technique and my point is that Marlon often bit on the first move and you could often see him at the LOS giving up free releases. At Bama in Saban's style, he wants the DBs to "mirror" the receiver off the line. Again, something that Marlon would often struggle with. And yes, it cost us some TDs.

Why do I have to conjure up an 80-yard play to make my point? Your terminology often gets "laughable" when you want to make your point. We were discussing Tony's technique and my point is that Marlon often bit on the first move and you could often see him at the LOS giving up free releases. At Bama in Saban's style, he wants the DBs to "mirror" the receiver off the line. Again, something that Marlon would often struggle with. And yes, it cost us some TDs.

So, I assume I need to explain to you what being "torched" is? Yeah, Marlon got torched right into a first round draft pick...

So, I assume I need to explain to you what being "torched" is? Yeah, Marlon got torched right into a first round draft pick...

Perhaps I need to explain more clearly how getting beat for TDs, because of poor technique, is still getting beat for TDs. They still count as 6 points and you can still go home a loser and we sometimes did. And Marlon's draft status isn't what you and I are discussing, now is it?

Perhaps I need to explain more clearly how getting beat for TDs, because of poor technique, is still getting beat for TDs. They still count as 6 points and you can still go home a loser and we sometimes did. And Marlon's draft status isn't what you and I are discussing, now is it?

You can count on one hand how many times Marlon ever got beat for a TD and you quoted my first post talking about Tony getting torched. Marlon had issues covering the deep ball at the point of the catch, especially when it came to tracking the ball. I dont think you could come up with a single time where Marlon was left in the dust on a play. I have no clue why you chose to attack my post but whatever. Comparing Tony Brown's play with that of Marlon Humphrey is just flat out ridiculous.

You can count on one hand how many times Marlon ever got beat for a TD and you quoted my first post talking about Tony getting torched. Marlon had issues covering the deep ball at the point of the catch, especially when it came to tracking the ball. I dont think you could come up with a single time where Marlon was left in the dust on a play. I have no clue why you chose to attack my post but whatever. Comparing Tony Brown's play with that of Marlon Humphrey is just flat out ridiculous.

How many times can you count Tony getting torched? One hand? And why do you think I attacked your post? Maybe you are getting oversensitive in your old age? I'm saying that Marlon was far from a perfect DB, made a lot of mistakes on the field that cost the team TDs and games and didn't suffer the indignities of getting jerked off the field like Mr. Brown. That is a singular point I'm making if you are counting.

And the long completion made against Tony in the NC, he was NOT left in the dust either. You are being very dogmatic today.

How many times can you count Tony getting torched? One hand? And why do you think I attacked your post? Maybe you are getting oversensitive in your old age? I'm saying that Marlon was far from a perfect DB, made a lot of mistakes on the field that cost the team TDs and games and didn't suffer the indignities of getting jerked off the field like Mr. Brown. That is a singular point I'm making if you are counting.

And the long completion made against Tony in the NC, he was NOT left in the dust either. You are being very dogmatic today.

Compared to how often he was actually on the field, a lot...

Who said Marlon was a perfect DB? You are the one that brought his name into. Tony was "yanked" from the field because he was on a shorter leash than Marlon ever was. If that was the first time Tony had ever messed up, he wouldn't have been yanked. And lets not forget that his replacement played very well... If your issue was Tony being yanked and Marlon not ever being yanked you did a bad job of conveying that.

On what planet is this NOT being left in the dust?

Who said Marlon was a perfect DB? You are the one that brought his name into. Tony was "yanked" from the field because he was on a shorter leash than Marlon ever was. If that was the first time Tony had ever messed up, he wouldn't have been yanked. And lets not forget that his replacement played very well... If your issue was Tony being yanked and Marlon not ever being yanked you did a bad job of conveying that.

Not me. I'm saying that Marlon gave up a lot of stuff on the backend. His technique was not the best and his awareness in obvious passing situations wasn't always the best. I would go as far to say that he was much better coming up and covering the run.

This conversation got me thinking about the first TD we gave up against Washington in the semi. Ball on about the 15-yard line and the receiver does a double move, Marlon bit hard on the first move and that was the TD we gave up in the end zone. Why would you bit that hard and take yourself out of the play like that? Again, his instincts to come up are strong and that MO was out there. Marlon struggled a lot against the double move.

Then I got to thinking about the 2016 Arky game with Austin Allen. Marlon really struggled using his hands and as I said earlier often gave receivers a free release off the LOS. Being such a physical player otherwise, that was very difficult for me to understand about his game. In this game, he gave up a couple of TDs. Marlon often wouldn't use his hands on the receivers at the top position either to keep the guy in phase. The result were TDs. Again, just poor technique and not getting his hands and legs squared up and keeping them that way. And don't make me discuss that abortion of an effort against Clemson, twice.

You mentioned his skills when the ball was in the air, well that often felt more like a liability in real time than when you just said it. The truth was his ball skills were not much better when he left than when he got there. He often couldn't find the ball and seldom got his head around to get a good look. No ballhawk there.

Nope, Marlon definitely wasn't a perfect DB. A lot of scouts were very critical of Marlon's technique and awareness in passing situations leading up to the draft.

Back
Top Bottom