| NEWS CECIL HURT: Reading COVID's tea leaves - TideSports.com

B

Bama News

The coronavirus has not disappeared. The report by Gentry Estes of Gannett that appears in Sunday’s Tuscaloosa News emphasizes that. The week’s statistics from the City Of Tuscaloosa and the Alabama Department of Health say the same thing, at least to me. If you don’t believe what common sense would suggest, argue with those agencies.

There will still be college football, almost certainly. The mighty engine of commerce will see to that and perhaps, with a little less than three months to go, venues can be made safe enough. Will everything be back exactly like it was, restored to a pre-coronavirus status in three months? That doesn’t seem likely to me. It doesn’t seem likely to Texas Governor Greg Abbott (note: Abbott is not an anarchist). According to Saturday’s Houston Chronicle, Gov. Abbott indicated on a conference call with that state’s college athletics directors that stadiums in that state were unlikely to be at more than 50 percent capacity this fall. One assumes that will hold true for the Alabama season opener against USC in Dallas: no more than 50 percent in Texas Stadium and perhaps less.

Alabama Governor Kay Ivey has made no statement.

Reading the future is always difficult. It seems logical that increased use of face coverings might slow the rate of spread and that social distancing would help as well. That doesn’t mean that I am going to stand on a soapbox and berate the students going out nightly on The Strip or the family in Northport going out to dinner. It’s hard to tell them they should be more aware when Vice President Mike Pence was photographed on Friday at a crowded diner in Pennsylvania with no mask and no distancing in a crowd that seemed to be predominantly old men. How do you chastise anyone else for doing the same?

Also, full disclosure: I had my first restaurant sit-down meal since March 13 earlier this week. I wore a mask into and out of the restaurant. Our table was a good distance from the nearest patrons. I didn’t feel super-comfortable about it (the situation, that is, not the food or service) and I will probably not go out again for a few weeks but that’s my choice.

Even a 100 percent effort might not be enough to alter the potential for restrictions this season. Some say yes, some say no.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that Alabama will also be at something like 50 percent capacity for its home games, with a facial covering being required. Most of the Southeastern Conference schools would like to see league-wide consistency but not all the state governments in the SEC region are the same. Basketball is much further in the future but also presents the challenge of an indoor venue and, even in November, restrictions might be possible.

Again, most people — myself included — want football back, with fans, at the soonest date that it can be done safely. There is still some time before logistical deadlines make decisions necessary. But those decisions will involve accommodating reality, not pretending certain realities that we do not like therefore do not exist.

Nobody knows.
There will be a football season, how many in attendance is what we don't know. That's what he's saying...
Also, full disclosure: I had my first restaurant sit-down meal since March 13 earlier this week. I wore a mask into and out of the restaurant. Our table was a good distance from the nearest patrons. I didn’t feel super-comfortable about it (the situation, that is, not the food or service) and I will probably not go out again for a few weeks but that’s my choice.
Not a ball found.

Im sorry but this whole idea is a special kind of stupid...I challenge anyone to put a mask on in BDS in september at a 2 oclock start! This CCP virus has a .050 percent chance of killing you. If you are worried about getting this flu,,,DONT GO! This whole thing has been predictably over hyped. I know people have died from this but the death figure has been skewed too due to money hungry hospital officials. Sorry,,,,just had to rant about this,,,,just sick of us being fed misinformation.

Chances are you've come across the virus at some point or another. It's airborne and on plenty of surfaces.

50% capacity? Top 50% of donors or what? Can't wait to see how they determine that and piss off half the crowd. Wonder what future implications this could have as well as far as renewals.

I finally have someone I directly know that has the virus. I think he has been fighting it for 2+ weeks. He said he has never been this sick before. It seems like he is turning the corner and never had to go on a ventilator. He is in his early 60's. I know of another person in my area that is second hand knowledge for me that has been in the hospital for 50 days and has been on a ventilator for 46 days. I think she is in her 40's.

Anyway, I say all of this to say this thing is real and unpredictable in how it effects people. These universities have no choice but to take this serious and at least do what they can to reduce the chances of someone getting the virus. Most will be ok for sure especially the younger people. Seems like anyone 60+ it would be best for them not to chance it and skip going to games this year unless maybe they have box seats.

I finally have someone I directly know that has the virus. I think he has been fighting it for 2+ weeks. He said he has never been this sick before. It seems like he is turning the corner and never had to go on a ventilator. He is in his early 60's. I know of another person in my area that is second hand knowledge for me that has been in the hospital for 50 days and has been on a ventilator for 46 days. I think she is in her 40's.

Anyway, I say all of this to say this thing is real and unpredictable in how it effects people. These universities have no choice but to take this serious and at least do what they can to reduce the chances of someone getting the virus. Most will be ok for sure especially the younger people. Seems like anyone 60+ it would be best for them not to chance it and skip going to games this year unless maybe they have box seats.

I wish I only knew one lol The most recent person I know that has it has not one single symptom. It's insane. On the other hand the person he (likely) got it from had to be hospitalized because of it.

Agree....we have decided we will not attend live events this year...
Hate to do but....in high risk category and one season isnt worth many more...
Just waiting to see how UofA will handle tickets ( which have been paid)....

#facts I will not share in the world you've chosen to live in; filled with fear and pessimism.

... a little over 500 hospitalizations in AL yesterday in a population of 4.9 million. .0001%.
Right on....not bad unless ur one of the .0001%...
Of course you dont have to wear seat belts in car or helmets on ur bike..
Or for that matter...dont have to do annual doctor checks... and while you are at it...
Load up on bacon every day....
Fear?.....you call it fear... maybe its really precautions

Or for that matter...dont have to do annual doctor checks... and while you are at it...

Happen to agree with @TerryP here. You speak of it as a precaution, but the flu, pneumonia, and countless other illnesses that can kill you are around you and have seasonal spikes, so do you stay indoor and away for those as well? From everything you say, you and Mrs. 50 travel A TON! I am more inclined to think you're willingly throwing yourself into a higher percentage of a motor vehicle accident. You also live in the Tennessee mountains. What are the percentages you get attacked by a bear?

Hey, I get it, watch out for yourself. Obviously I have no problem with you taking care of yourself and life. The issue I have is with the media narrative causing turmoil. .00001% or whatever that percentage was, is not a reason to cancel the season on folks like myself that want to go. If you feel I'm endangering you, don't come. Just like I don't walk around the streets of Atlanta with a pocket full of cash and a Bulls Starter jacket (90's folks will get my cute attempt at humor) at 2AM. It's dangerous, so I don't do it, no matter how innocent it is. Unfortunately the powers to be are moved by the media and it simply shouldn't be taking our freedoms away. As I stated, chances are most of us have already come into contact with this virus, it's airborne for goodness sakes.

Im sorry but this whole idea is a special kind of stupid...I challenge anyone to put a mask on in BDS in september at a 2 oclock start! This CCP virus has a .050 percent chance of killing you. If you are worried about getting this flu,,,DONT GO! This whole thing has been predictably over hyped. I know people have died from this but the death figure has been skewed too due to money hungry hospital officials. Sorry,,,,just had to rant about this,,,,just sick of us being fed misinformation.

You haven't the slightest clue how this is playing out in hospitals. We are not mis-classifying COVID patients. And they are coded about a thousand different ways based on how they present. We are a major hospital system and revenues are down 20% even now that elective surgeries are taking place. It was worse months before. 20% add on payments for COVID inpatients is peanuts, and CARES act funding is done. Get out of your echo chamber and doing actual research rather than being another idiot watching FOX news 12 hours a day.

If it was about precautions, why go out in the first place?

Table were spaced out, he's doing the mask thing, and decides he's not going back out to eat in a perfectly safe environment based on his own descriptions. He had his distancing, he had his PPE, and he had his fear. He's not comfortable based on what emotion?

I've been out to eat a few times over the last few weeks. It's not normal for me. I rarely eat out but was forced to by a personal decision...remodeling my kitchen including new stove, hood, other appliances, etc. But think about that for a minute with me ...

I'm washing my hands when I get in the restaurant, washing them after I leave. I'm not eating around a lot of people because...well, I don't eat around a lot of people just like I don't get close to people in Lowe's, or Walmart, or the grocery store. Shit, these are things I've been doing ALL MY LIFE so these health precautions ... everyday activity.

It's not because I'm scared. It's because I'm clean.

Happen to agree with @TerryP here. You speak of it as a precaution, but the flu, pneumonia, and countless other illnesses that can kill you are around you and have seasonal spikes, so do you stay indoor and away for those as well? From everything you say, you and Mrs. 50 travel A TON! I am more inclined to think you're willingly throwing yourself into a higher percentage of a motor vehicle accident. You also live in the Tennessee mountains. What are the percentages you get attacked by a bear?

Hey, I get it, watch out for yourself. Obviously I have no problem with you taking care of yourself and life. The issue I have is with the media narrative causing turmoil. .00001% or whatever that percentage was, is not a reason to cancel the season on folks like myself that want to go. If you feel I'm endangering you, don't come. Just like I don't walk around the streets of Atlanta with a pocket full of cash and a Bulls Starter jacket (90's folks will get my cute attempt at humor) at 2AM. It's dangerous, so I don't do it, no matter how innocent it is. Unfortunately the powers to be are moved by the media and it simply shouldn't be taking our freedoms away. As I stated, chances are most of us have already come into contact with this virus, it's airborne for goodness sakes.
Well...everyone has to decide the ."risk vs rewards " for themselves....
Terry calls it fear....i call it calculated precautions.... just different perspective..and word...
I take a flu shot every year....
I wear seatbelts....i dont drive under the influence... i wear a hemet...i keep a 9mm close by... i do my colonoscopy..annual physical....etc
just precautions...
% is low of being any problem...so why even do it! Fear...or....sensible precautions
And ur right...cant be 100% protected from every thing...
Working and living in mountains...bears were real...as were rattlers, copperheads..etc. but i learned...as a precaution...as much as possible aboutthem..and to practice "social distancing " ! Lol

And wehave friends that have spent the last 3-4 months in fear....from this pan-dammit... not go out...not eatout..not even seefamily... thatstheir "calculated precautions...."...its more fear though..
..others..have thrown "precautions at the wind"...and do none of above... so where is eaches point....

Wearing a Bulls jacketin Atlanta...ummm....that’s throwing sensible action away!! Lol

Fear..."we have nothing to fear..except fear itself"....as is said

No problem disagreeing....ever......

Back
Top Bottom