| NEWS CECIL HURT: Backup QB an interesting storyline for Alabama

B

Bama News

If the adage about the most popular player on the Alabama football team in any given year being the backup quarterback is true, then: Mac Jones, prepare to meet the world.

Now, slam on the brakes immediately before the analysis of this column goes one inch further. No one, not any human in his or her right mind, even if they sat hatless on aluminum bleachers at Saturday’s scrimmage and roasted their brain like an avocado, advocates Jones replace the incumbent Tua Tagovailoa. But Nick Saban made it clear in his post-scrimmage remarks that Jones was the clear-cut backup.

“Mac is way ahead of the other guys,” Saban said. “He’s been here in the program for a couple of years. He knows the offense. He’s really smart. He makes good decisions for the most part. The big thing we’ve been trying to get him to do is when he doesn’t make a good play, don’t hang on to it. Go to the next play. He’s done a good job of that.

“He’s been very productive in both scrimmages that we’ve had. He got some opportunities today. He got some (last scrimmage). We’re happy with Tua’s performance to this point.

“I think, offensively, we’re good.”

Setting aside the calculus necessary to measure the amplitude of the terror waves that spread across the Southeast from the quasar explosion of Saban saying “offensively, we’re good,” here’s a quick explanation.

Mac (it’s “Mac,” as in “Mac-and-cheese,” although my spell check is doggedly hanging on to “Mack,” as in Wilson or Tevin) Jones has pulled ahead of freshman Taulia Tagovailoa and Paul Tyson for the second-team role for all the reasons Saban cited.

Also, as the time until the season opener grows closer, there becomes more urgency in giving the first- and second-team reps to the players likeliest to see action. Thus, by the time a final scrimmage rolls around, there is an understandable self-perpetuating cycle. If you’re working with the first and second offense, and you don’t make egregious mistakes, you’ve got a chance to look better than those working primarily with the 3’s (third team) against the 3’s. That isn’t to imply that Jones’ performance is an illusion, just that he has capitalized on opportunity.

So how will that opportunity manifest itself in the 2019 season? There is, of course, the “one play away” scenario that no one wants to see. There is also the recent history of last season, when Alabama got off to big early leads in many games. Whether Jones will see the sort of backup time Jalen Hurts saw last year is going to depend on many week-to-week variables, although he seems sure to get at least some duty with a mop. Isn’t that what “mopping up” requires?

There is also a human tendency (not one Saban especially likes) to project into the future. Assuming, as all of America does, that Tua goes pro after this season, the first questions about 2020 are going to center around the next quarterback, Jones or someone else. So people are going to watch for clues.

No one, to answer John Lennon’s question, is saying they want a revolution. Right now, backup quarterback is an interesting sidebar, one storyline out of 25 or 30. But hearing Saban say good things about Jones is going to pique the appetite for a glimpse, at the least.

It makes sense to me if Mac had to take control of the offense for an extended time the offense would get a philosophical makeover to adjust to his skill set in a hurry. I could see him in the Coker/ McCarron concepts in a hurry. This is a 3rd-year player who has done very well in the spring when given additional reps. He has a good arm and he's smart. At Alabama, that's a good recipe for success at QB, any time and any place. The media has been quick to paint a doomsday scenario if something happens to Tua. Mac Jones just might fool them all.

It makes sense to me if Mac had to take control of the offense for an extended time the offense would get a philosophical makeover to adjust to his skill set in a hurry. I could see him in the Coker/ McCarron concepts in a hurry. This is a 3rd-year player who has done very well in the spring when given additional reps. He has a good arm and he's smart. At Alabama, that's a good recipe for success at QB, any time and any place. The media has been quick to paint a doomsday scenario if something happens to Tua. Mac Jones just might fool them all.
And the guy was smart enough to coach an alabama intramural girls team....( to a championship)
Put things aside.....that’s working in a target rich environment

As the season goes on it will get interesting... Now not so much.

Will it be worth burning a RS down the road to get a guy some snaps?

Going to be hard to sell whoever the 4th stringer is on staying after this season. 2019 no one wants to "wait it out".

Regardless, CNS speaking highly of Mac is pretty cool. Gives me some confidence if Tua goes down

Will it be worth burning a RS down the road to get a guy some snaps?

Going to be hard to sell whoever the 4th stringer is on staying after this season. 2019 no one wants to "wait it out".
I don't see burning Tyson's or Taulia's shirts as a possibility with the four games they have (even if Tua went down.)

I also don't believe we're going to see either look to the transfer portal. In both cases, family ties weigh heavily. Seriously, do you see Tyson leaving Bama considering his lineage? I don't see Taulia's parents making a decision to quit and try somewhere else either. While there are some as stable, there's no room in the athletic department that's more stable than the QB room right now.

The way I see this is we're looking at two years with Mac, and then two with Tulia (assuming Tyson doesn't beat him out which I this point I have my doubts.)

I don't see burning Tyson's or Taulia's shirts as a possibility with the four games they have (even if Tua went down.)

I also don't believe we're going to see either look to the transfer portal. In both cases, family ties weigh heavily. Seriously, do you see Tyson leaving Bama considering his lineage? I don't see Taulia's parents making a decision to quit and try somewhere else either. While there are some as stable, there's no room in the athletic department that's more stable than the QB room right now.

The way I see this is we're looking at two years with Mac, and then two with Tulia (assuming Tyson doesn't beat him out which I this point I have my doubts.)
You still assuming...Tua leaves...
Probably will...why not....but this family does things different...
And have brothers on same team for last time.....ever maybe..... who knows

What do you think Tua, and his family, will do when Saban is telling Tua, "Go!"

You're talking about the Tagovailoa's being on the same team at the same time? We've both seen A LOT of brothers on the team at the same time.
We don’t really know what that family will do....are they fueled by money?
If Tua came to NS and said......coach, i wanna play my senior year...NS aint gonna put him on scout team....
And is it unheard of staying when you are a sure top round pick...
Peyton Manning stayed...for his senior year at UT
Not saying he will...i dont have a clue...
This family is different...and having those 2 on team together.....may be more important than other things...
Who knows....you know...i just get these wondering thoughts sometimes
And its either think wondering thought or go put that ignition switch in my Kabota tractor ....vacuum pool....other such

Yes I can see either guy leaving if they are behind the 8 ball on playing time. Family lineage can be a prideful or embarrassing thing depending on the role you're in. Talking about elite talent... They want to play, not watch. If Mac is still far ahead of either or both, it will become more and more likely... Not to mention another 4/5 Star, or 2, coming in 2020.

Tulia (assuming Tyson doesn't beat him out which I this point I have my doubts.)

Going back to the Spring game and in the scrimmage last Saturday, I have my doubts as well. Lia is further along in development at this point and is simply quicker to pull the trigger. Tyson threw 2 balls that never should've been thrown that ended up being gifted INTs.

Yes I can see either guy leaving if they are behind the 8 ball on playing time. Family lineage can be a prideful or embarrassing thing depending on the role you're in. Talking about elite talent... They want to play, not watch. If Mac is still far ahead of either or both, it will become more and more likely... Not to mention another 4/5 Star, or 2, coming in 2020.

Trying to take another elite QB in this next class seems like more of what you just mentioned. It's not realistic that elite QBs have the mindset these days to stick it out for the duration if they aren't in the pecking order they want to be. Unfortunately, the guys we have aren't really staggered in age so it already feels like a bit of a logjam. Just new-age football.

Trying to take another elite QB in this next class seems like more of what you just mentioned. It's not realistic that elite QBs have the mindset these days to stick it out for the duration if they aren't in the pecking order they want to be. Unfortunately, the guys we have aren't really staggered in age so it already feels like a bit of a logjam. Just new-age football.

Exactly. But you HAVE to take another QB, or two. You literally need to plan for guys leaving because it's so likely.

And in general, it's just better to have as many talented guys as possible at QB. The repercussions of getting caught without a stud in today's game are too risky.

Exactly. But you HAVE to take another QB, or two. You literally need to plan for guys leaving because it's so likely.

And in general, it's just better to have as many talented guys as possible at QB. The repercussions of getting caught without a stud in today's game are too risky.

Agree, watching Barnett and Bateman, Cornwell go around the same time makes the cupboard bare. With that said, if we get an elite QB in this class it will be a pleasant surprise. They tend to look hard at the numbers and decide accordingly. But the next great thing doesn't have to come with all the fanfare either.

Back
Top Bottom