| NEWS Can 14 days of prohibition keep Alabama sports on track? l Hurt - Tuscaloosa News

B

Bama News

The announcement lacked the visual drama of Carrie A. Nation, the Prohibition warrior of the previous century, smashing bar tables and whiskey bottles with her dreaded hatchet. Instead, it was Walt Maddox at a podium Monday, announcing a two-week shutdown of Tuscaloosa bars.

The move is experimental — Maddox conceded that “no one knows” any certain formula for stopping the spread of COVID-19. Almost certainly, there was some image varnishing going on as well. Many college towns — South Bend, Chapel Hill, Auburn, Lawrence — have been given some media exposure for high numbers of COVID positives or unflattering photos in the genre of the old “MTV Spring Break” school. But if Tuscaloosa hasn’t been the most-covered site, the prime media example that has gone viral (that’s the other kind of “viral”), it certainly feels like it has.

The debate about that move has quickly turned political. There are two legitimate sides to the argument, which can be summarized as the health and safety community on the one hand and the needs of the Tuscaloosa economy on the other. Whether bar owners deserve any more blame for opening than UA does for bringing 30,000 of the bars’ best customers back to town is a fair question.

My interest in the press conference, which was held at the UA Manderson Boat House in Riverfront Park, was not to wade into the waters either literally (there’s a fish advisory in effect) or politically, but to connect the dots athletically. This did not prove to be a simple task.

My question to UA President Dr. Stuart Bell, who was present and did hold a Q&A, to his credit, involved the distinction between “student activities,” which are now banned due to rising COVID-19 numbers on campus, and athletic practices, which are exempt. His answer sidestepped the question like Jaylen Waddle dodging the first defender on a punt return as he returned to his core theme of keeping students on campus for in-person instruction. “First and foremost for us is that we keep entirely focused on returning to campus,” he said. “What we are trying to do now with our general student body is to flatten that curve."

There is, of course, a straightforward and pragmatic answer to the question. Athletic practices are under strict supervision with medical staff available and easy access to on-site testing. Football practice is a far cry from four or five students sitting around their dorm room with a six-pack, or even a party at a frat house. Sensible people understand that distinction.

Whether Dr. Bell can give that direct answer isn’t so clear. There is a semantic tightrope over a deep ravine and Dr. Bell has to walk it, carefully. Any hint that football players are not also “students” will have ramifications in the NCAA quest to maintain the concept of “amateurism.” At this point, most fans are willing to postpone that battle and plow ahead through 2020. The “bubble” concept seems so appealing that some fans would just as soon that the football team go into isolation. The UA Administration does not want that, but has to be careful about how football players are defined. Words linger in litigation for a long time.

Every day draws an SEC season closer but nothing is definite yet At some point, inevitably will create a definite “yes” or “no.” A “yes” would be great news for Tuscaloosa but if it comes in the next two weeks, there won’t be any champagne corks popping in town.

I was in Tuscaloosa Saturday and from what I saw, most all of the students were wearing masks, even walking on the sidewalks. I noticed a group of at least 6 standing on the corner waiting for the light to change and they all had on a mask. Upwards of 95% were wearing a mask across campus. We went over the bridge into Northport and it was a different story though. Looking at a car and. O ONE had a mask. Went in a gas station and maybe saw 2-3 masks. Other 15-20 there were without. Came back down McFarland and on to Skyland and it was more of the same. Maybe 50% of the people were even wearing a mask. IMHO, Walt Maddox just wanted to fall in line with Biden and show his “authority” and demand a mask mandate. After “Bid week” 2 weeks ago, I actually expected to see students running all over campus and lined up all along the Strip without a mask. Dr Bell and Maddox overstepped here in my opinion.

The school has instituted specific mask requirements (with penalties) and the students are complying. However, as soon as they step off campus they abandon the masks because they're not required. Nothing about the masks violates Constitutional freedoms, but the students think it does.

The school has instituted specific mask requirements (with penalties) and the students are complying. However, as soon as they step off campus they abandon the masks because they're not required. Nothing about the masks violates Constitutional freedoms, but the students think it does.

I don't think they came back to campus with these regulations, so essentially they were suckered back and then put in muzzles. Have tuition checks cleared as well? That's like taking a job only to be hired under false pretenses. You'd feel violated as well. I mean, the word prohibition is being used. That's ridiculous.

Last edited:

I saw students up and down the Strip wearing the masks, coming out and going in to Publix. I even saw 5/6 with masks standing in the corner, waiting to cross the street. The students are trying.

At least we can all rest well knowing there won't be any "unregulated" house parties with the bars closed down. None. Not a single one.
Thank you.

I started thinking about this a little yesterday. I wasn't the 'normal' student due to my age. I didn't do much of the bar scene other than one place a few times a week in the afternoons. The vast majority of those I associated with didn't either: It was my hose, theirs, or someone we knew. I doubt that's changed a lot.

I don't think they came back to campus with these regulations, so essentially they were suckered back and then put in muzzles. Have tuition checks cleared as well? That's like taking a job only to be hired under false pretenses. You'd feel violated as well. I mean, the word prohibition is being used. That's ridiculous.

The sky is not falling and it's not a conspiracy. Learning is better when it's in-person. Guidelines were established before everyone showed up on campus. Yes, they have made the requirements more stringent as they began to see the behaviors of students and the rate of positive test results. There is still a large portion of the population that thinks COVID-19 is a hoax. It's not. It's difficult to plan for, and respond to, a virus that never existed before.

The sky is not falling and it's not a conspiracy. Learning is better when it's in-person. Guidelines were established before everyone showed up on campus. Yes, they have made the requirements more stringent as they began to see the behaviors of students and the rate of positive test results. There is still a large portion of the population that thinks COVID-19 is a hoax. It's not. It's difficult to plan for, and respond to, a virus that never existed before.

I agree that it's not a hoax, but the college environment is not ripe with the age group that suffers the most from it. Let's be honest here, it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to know when you bring 35,000 people together in a relative small area that you would see some positive testing. My problem is with Bell and the dumbass mayor acting like they're in a war zone and people are falling out all over the place. 500 positive tests I just saw about on Yahoo? I consider that a win. I am also in agreement that in person learning is the best way to go. If teachers don't like that, go find another profession, just like I would tell nurses and doctors dealing with the unfortunate influx. That's like me as an accountant hating and complaining about end of the month duties. Well it's my job and a big part of it, so if it bothers me that much I should go do something else. This virus is more political than anything at this point. Hard to argue that point. They are not only pinning students down, now they are taking the livelihood of their city and county citizens away that work and own these bars/restaurants, not to mention taking away jobs of those very same college kids that use the money to pay the university president's freaking salary with tuition and fees! Not even to mention the landlords possibly taking a hit. If you don't like the results, move away and come back when you feel safe, but to tighten the reins on so many people over a simple, and what have should have been expected, uptick, is just ridiculous and I don't think the students or those business owners are responding in a wrong manner. And this is coming from a guy that just lost a family member yesterday from the virus.

There is still a large portion of the population that thinks COVID-19 is a hoax.
I don't believe that. I do believe a large percentage of the population believes the measures taken to combat C-19 have been overboard, the numbers given daily and weekly are often wrong and sometimes that's been purposefully.

When these kids see how little it actually affects their age group, from the scientist everyone says pay attention to, can you blame them for acting one way on campus and another when off campus?

I don't believe that. I do believe a large percentage of the population believes the measures taken to combat C-19 have been overboard, the numbers given daily and weekly are often wrong and sometimes that's been purposefully.

When these kids see how little it actually affects their age group, from the scientist everyone says pay attention to, can you blame them for acting one way on campus and another when off campus?

^^^^^^^
THIS!!!

I will say this.. I think the "spin machine" and misinformation campaigns from our media is being used to stoke fear and to try to steal power over the masses. I actually had a guy bet me his house that Covid-19 was now an airborne virus.. which according to the crazy liberal WHO is not true. So I simply googled is Covid -19 an airborne virus.. first one that popped up was WHO which plainly said there is zero evidence of this virus spreading thru the air. In other words, it is still transmitted via surfaces and droplets from infected people. Even though he screamed his bet loudly trying to make a point, I quietly showed him the WHO website and their statement and told him it's. ok.. you can keep your house..lol
So the masks, do nothing to prevent you from getting the virus.. what they do is maybe help an infected person's sneeze from infecting more people.

Too many folks believe everything they are fed from the media.. They are corrupt and by the way I spent a 25 year career working in the media so I am more familiar than most. The media knows that they have influence over the ones who blindly believe what they are told and they wield it without mercy with no reguard for who it damages.

Hear the sound.. as I step off my soap box! Roll Tide!..lol

I will say this.. I think the "spin machine" and misinformation campaigns from our media is being used to stoke fear and to try to steal power over the masses. I actually had a guy bet me his house that Covid-19 was now an airborne virus.. which according to the crazy liberal WHO is not true. So I simply googled is Covid -19 an airborne virus.. first one that popped up was WHO which plainly said there is zero evidence of this virus spreading thru the air. In other words, it is still transmitted via surfaces and droplets from infected people. Even though he screamed his bet loudly trying to make a point, I quietly showed him the WHO website and their statement and told him it's. ok.. you can keep your house..lol
So the masks, do nothing to prevent you from getting the virus.. what they do is maybe help an infected person's sneeze from infecting more people.

Too many folks believe everything they are fed from the media.. They are corrupt and by the way I spent a 25 year career working in the media so I am more familiar than most. The media knows that they have influence over the ones who blindly believe what they are told and they wield it without mercy with no reguard for who it damages.

Hear the sound.. as I step off my soap box! Roll Tide!..lol

You obviously don't know how aerosol droplets work.

Everybody is an expert, especially when they know nothing. Social media is rat poison (I thought I would use a frame of reference that everyone here can understand). There's a portion of the population that sees something on social media and immediately believes it because it was on social media. How many people do you know that have reacted to a negative posting about a business and declaring they will never do business with them again (recent examples I can remember are the Firehouse Subs that wouldn't service police and a hotel in Colorado that would no longer serve military members). In my examples, everyone was willing to stop all business with the companies even though the actions were at a single franchise.

The university reported 560 new COVID cases in one day. This tells me that people aren't following the guidelines established. While the school has created quarentine areas, I don't think they planned for 560 cases in a single day. If this continues, don't plan on any football games.

Everybody is an expert, especially when they know nothing. Social media is rat poison (I thought I would use a frame of reference that everyone here can understand). There's a portion of the population that sees something on social media and immediately believes it because it was on social media. How many people do you know that have reacted to a negative posting about a business and declaring they will never do business with them again (recent examples I can remember are the Firehouse Subs that wouldn't service police and a hotel in Colorado that would no longer serve military members). In my examples, everyone was willing to stop all business with the companies even though the actions were at a single franchise.

The university reported 560 new COVID cases in one day. This tells me that people aren't following the guidelines established. While the school has created quarentine areas, I don't think they planned for 560 cases in a single day. If this continues, don't plan on any football games.

A single day? How many people are they testing every single day? How do we know these people haven't had it for a week and it's just being reported as a single day jump?

Also, what is the story with Firehouse? I haven't heard that one. Love their meatball sub.

...reported 500+ cases since classes resumed among students, faculty, and staff ( total number @ 50K.) We still don't know how many were tested. We still don't know how many were asymptomatic.

Consider that for a minute. Including everyone on campus in that 50K number...and they're still hovering between 1-2%.

Math...one of those things students have to be able to understand, a bit, to get into college, right? It's no wonder people are skeptical.

Pre-Saban: For years we saw first hand how badly the messaging was that came from the SID. For a school to be so proud of the products that come out of Reese Phifer the administration is horrible at this as well. Embarrassingly bad.

yes I am wrong as well as WHO, the cdc and everyone else who disagrees with the misinformation.Attached proof.. even discusses the difference between droplets and airborne.. specifically your comment.. just food for thought.

View attachment 14590View attachment 14591

I know very well the difference, working in the top hospital system in the area and having experts all around to consult on this. The virus does not just exist in the air - which is why virus size doesn't matter and why cloth and N95 masks work. It exists in droplets. Mask stop the spread of droplets, and thus slow the spread of the virus, which is the entire point.

Back
Top Bottom