| FTBL Building Bama Rivals article

Swamptick said:
I hope Coach Saban stays for a long while and starts to debunk his pattern of 3-5 years and leaving. I may being optimistic and biased...but I think he will.

Even if he only stays 5 years (which is longer than any coach we have had since Bryant except for Stallings), he will have approached what is the average tenure for a college coach. If he leaves after 5 years and leaves us stockpiled with enough talent that a coach as inept as Les Miles can have us ranked 2nd and the inside track to the BCS title, I will be happy and singing his praises...unlike those LSU fans who have no gratitude for the man who built their program.

He did some great things for the program, but when he left the way he did, he didn't do it in a (proper) style or fashion.

Perhaps I missed something. What did he do when he left LSU that was improper? I honestly wasn't paying that much attention, so this is a serious question?

shipley00 said:
He did some great things for the program, but when he left the way he did, he didn't do it in a (proper) style or fashion.

Perhaps I missed something. What did he do when he left LSU that was improper? I honestly wasn't paying that much attention, so this is a serious question?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1953234

Saban on Wednesday was formally offered the Dolphins job and told Dolphins and school officials he might need a day or two to come to a decision. Clearly, he wanted a resolution before Christmas, when his team was scheduled to leave for its bowl game, but could not meet his original timetable because of his strong feelings for LSU.

Sexton spent much of Wednesday meeting in Fort Lauderdale with Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga discussing contract parameters. The two made what one source termed "significant progress" toward a deal, but an agreement wasn't struck. There remained some details to be hammered out and, more important, Saban needed time to examine the offer and review his own priorities. Sexton then hunkered down with Saban for nearly three days to discuss the options.

On Friday morning, Huizenga flew to Baton Rouge for another round of meetings. He had hoped to bring Saban back to Miami with him on his private plane, but the coach reiterated that he needed more time.

At no time, sources said, did LSU attempt to significantly augment Saban's contract. Two sources said that, at the outset of the process with Miami, school officials told Saban and Sexton how far they could go financially. There was never a formal counteroffer in an attempt to keep him in Baton Rouge.

I am still confused as to why they (LSU fans) are pissed over him as well. It doesn't seem like they (LSU) tried to really keep him there with a counter offer anyways or didn't think he was worth as much as Miami was offering :idea:. If they are going to be pised, they at least need to take off the gold and purple glasses and read the fine print. They have nobody to blame but LSU for not stepping up to keep him in BR. I don't think he would of stayed regardless though. What I take from his move to NFL is similar to what he wanted when he came here. To take on the challenge of rebuilding a once successful program.

shipley00 said:

The LSU people will tell you that he left there abruptly and in a sense they are right. He left before coaching the final bowl game and it was a sudden and mostly unexpected departure.

A lady told me last night, very vehemently, that they were PO'd at Saban because he lied in saying he wanted to coach pro ball and used that to grab the big bucks at Bama. She had no answer when I told her that Saban took a pay cut to leave Miami for Tuscaloosa.

It's not that he left LSU. It's that he left LSU and wound up at Bama. Had he gone to Notre Dame or Texas Tech or Oklahomas State, et al, they would not give a royal crap. But, he came to Alabama, LSU's long-time nemesis in the SEC. What it boils down to is the fear that he will succeed in bringing the Tide back to prominence . . . in the conference and across the nation.

Back
Top Bottom