| FTBL BREAKING: The "U" boosters running amok again

You think the NZAA has any teeth anymore? Would they suspend the programs for a year or anything drastic like that?
You have to believe they'll get a little break considering it's a brand new coaching staff down there and Richt is a pretty respected guy.

I have to question how ticked off the investigative branch of the NCAA is due to how badly they screwed up their last investigation in Miami. If Johanningmeir were still around? Geez.

I don't think they'll go lightly on them this time around. Hell, within a week of their sanctions being announced in October of '13 they had staff members making improper contact with recruits. Literally, just a matter of days after the announcement and they were back at it again.

I don't think there will ever be another death penalty applied. Bowl bans, scholarship cuts and coach show-cause penalties will be the methods of punishment.

People in the NCAA have even said as much as that in the past. It absolutely crippled SMU for decades and really they never truly recovered.

People in the NCAA have even said as much as that in the past. It absolutely crippled SMU for decades and really they never truly recovered.

The economic impact was devastating. It impacted too many companies and individuals that had nothing to do with the violations. The death penalty is always brought up by fans. It's still available, but it's only a threat.

How the Gestapo handle the Land Shark-Bear-Rebels will be a pretty good indicator of what's to come for the U.
Curious why you think so. I've seen conflicting reports on whether Ole Miss is in the repeat violator window. I haven't been able to find out with the little research I've done.

We do know Miami is still under probation so that leaves no doubt they will be "staring down the barrel of a gun."

One other thing I think is important to keep in mind. If both programs are sanctioned (we know Ole Miss is going to be) the penalties levied don't have to be the same to have the same impact. Take USC for example. Even with their sanctions they were still able to get the four and five star guys because of who they are and where they are recruiting—Florida and Cali both fertile recruiting areas. Miami, with the talent in Florida, can do the same. Ole Miss, with the talent in Mississippi, can not.

In reality, Miami losing (hypothetically) five off of their initials (20) could have the same impact as Ole Miss only losing two of their initials (23.)

BTW, it's my opinion that in both cases the number that needs to be watched isn't the initials of 25, but the total of 85. If say Ole Miss is told they can only have 75 in 2017, 80 in 2018, and then get back to 85 in 2019 ... that would put that program at the bottom of the west, if not the whole conference.

Curious why you think so. I've seen conflicting reports on whether Ole Miss is in the repeat violator window. I haven't been able to find out with the little research I've done.

We do know Miami is still under probation so that leaves no doubt they will be "staring down the barrel of a gun."

One other thing I think is important to keep in mind. If both programs are sanctioned (we know Ole Miss is going to be) the penalties levied don't have to be the same to have the same impact. Take USC for example. Even with their sanctions they were still able to get the four and five star guys because of who they are and where they are recruiting—Florida and Cali both fertile recruiting areas. Miami, with the talent in Florida, can do the same. Ole Miss, with the talent in Mississippi, can not.

In reality, Miami losing (hypothetically) five off of their initials (20) could have the same impact as Ole Miss only losing two of their initials (23.)

BTW, it's my opinion that in both cases the number that needs to be watched isn't the initials of 25, but the total of 85. If say Ole Miss is told they can only have 75 in 2017, 80 in 2018, and then get back to 85 in 2019 ... that would put that program at the bottom of the west, if not the whole conference.

Throw in a bowl ban and both schools will suffer.

Throw in a bowl ban and both schools will suffer.
If it's more than one, no doubt. If both schools are smart, they'll do their best to make sure an announcement like that comes after NSD so it'll only be on the minds on recruits in one class (like Ole Miss has used their extension with responses to the NOA.)

Back
Top Bottom