| FTBL Blown calls in the Tennessee game

bamatommy

I saw several calls that had me scratching my head during that game. Rolando McClain had a Tennessee offensive player hanging on his back, preventing an interception, and the refs didn't call that. Also, when the Tennessee receiver got called for pass interference, I didn't see how that call could have been right.

There were several bad calls, and both teams got shafted at times.

I want all penalties to be called fairly. But it's hard to do that with the crew they had Saturday in Knoxville.

bamatommy said:
I saw several calls that had me scratching my head during that game. Rolando McClain had a Tennessee offensive player hanging on his back, preventing an interception, and the refs didn't call that. Also, when the Tennessee receiver got called for pass interference, I didn't see how that call could have been right.

There were several bad calls, and both teams got shafted at times.

I want all penalties to be called fairly. But it's hard to do that with the crew they had Saturday in Knoxville.

You are right about Ro, but the UT receiver was guilty - no matter what their fans want to say. If receiver comes off of the ball and uses his hands on the DB before a pass is thrown, and the pass crosses the line, it is pass interference. That is in the rule book. It does not say anything about altering the direction of the DB, just placing his hands on the DB.

It may be ticky tack, but it is in there.

Since we're on the subject...

-I thought Ingram DID fumble...

-On a 2nd and long after the "non fumble" call we got away with a MAJOR delay of game penalty. It wasn't even close. On that play JP completed a pass to Will Oakley which set up 3rd and short.
We later scored a TD on the drive in question.

In my opinion alot of the blown calls, went in our favor.

The SEC officials are more than horrible this season.

RTR!!!

~Bryan :)

RollTide1980 said:

-On a 2nd and long after the "non fumble" call we got away with a MAJOR delay of game penalty. It wasn't even close. On that play JP completed a pass to Will Oakley which set up 3rd and short.

RTR!!!

Ingram was on his butt when the ball popped out, not a fumble.

Birdman37 said:
RollTide1980 said:

RTR!!!

Ingram was on his butt when the ball popped out, not a fumble.

That's your opinion, just like the next persons...including my own.

From my viewpoint, the ball was in open view when he was on his butt, but the ball "popped out" before. Thankfully the refs were blocked from the seeing the ball come out. The only thing they saw was the ball on the turf...and him on his rear. They didn't see when the ball actually came out. B/c of this, it made the call hard to over turn in the review process.

If the call was ruled a fumble on the field, there would be no possible way to over turn the call, just like there was no possible way to over turn the non fumble call.

I do think we caught a break, however.

Simple fact is...we put the ball on the turf yet again and were lucky to get the ruling we did.

Let's just say, I don't want to try my luck with a play like that again. The best way to eliminate a situation like that...is hold onto the ball.

~Bryan

It's my opinion that the ball was loose in the pocket of his arm and body, but it didn't pop out until after his butt touched the turf. All moot point though now. :wink:

There was another call that I wondered about. On this one we were flagged for PI, but Tennessee had lined up wrong and a would be receiver was covered by another and thus ineligible, so the flags offset. The receiver that we interfered with (there was no doubt that we did) was the ineligible guy. I thought PI only applied to eligible receivers.

RollTide1980 said:

RTR!!!

yes ingram fumbled on the delay of game thind u are wrong. The play clock was never reset that was the reason it seemed as though it was delay of game. SEC OFFICIALS DO SUCK!

psychojoe said:
There was another call that I wondered about. On this one we were flagged for PI, but Tennessee had lined up wrong and a would be receiver was covered by another and thus ineligible, so the flags offset. The receiver that we interfered with (there was no doubt that we did) was the ineligible guy. I thought PI only applied to eligible receivers.

Thank you! This rule obviously needs tweaking.

BamaDelta said:
psychojoe said:

Thank you! This rule obviously needs tweaking.

I don't think it is a rule.. I think the Ref just wasn't bright enough to figure out that you can't Pass Interefere on an in eligible receiver. FWIW he probably realized that later when he got told 500 times :) at least he didn't go sack JPW...

1.) Wasn't a fumble. He had possession til his butt hit

2.) Another questionable call IMO, was Eric Berry's hit on Maze. I thought it was helmet to helmet when it happened but some have said that it wasn't because EB led with his shoulder. I watched a clip of the hit and Berry's should never touches Maze... ONLY his helmet. I didn't really care about the missed call, but it was textbook helmet to helmet. He led with his helmet, 15 yards, uncalled.

Back
Top Bottom