| TV/MOVIES/MUSIC Best war movie?

Movie is Saving Private Ryan. The sheer amount of detail in that movie is incredible. The cast and acting was great too.

Series - I enjoyed The Pacific more than Band of Brothers.

Best documentary to me is by far the Vietnam War by Ken Burns. I watch it constantly.

Speaking of the Vietnam War, I wish someone would make a TV series that showcased the war better. The one's that have been made are good, but really miss out on really explaining how shitty that war was. Instead we continue to get WW2 movies, which is getting tiring.

This series was the best so far, but it was canceled. Should have kept it:

Lastly, a real modern America Civil War movie/series needs to be done and done properly. But I'm afraid anytime it's going to be made, it'll either be very politically slanted or face the wrath of cancel culture.

Free Stat of Jones was the only one that accurately shows how deadly weaponry was.

Last edited:
A lot of good ones... And a LOT of bad ones.

If I'm picking them...

Best Movie- Saving Private Ryan
Best Series- Band of Brothers
Best TV Show- Tour of Duty
This is such a great thread, but so damn confusing at the same time. Consider ... you say best TV show.

I liked Tour of Duty, but how to you rate that against M.A.S.H.? Can I say Hogan's Heroes? And then you have a show like TURN.

Is The Patriot considered a war movie? Or Hart's War? Wasn't Dances with Wolves a war movie?

This is such a great thread, but so damn confusing at the same time. Consider ... you say best TV show.

I liked Tour of Duty, but how to you rate that against M.A.S.H.? Can I say Hogan's Heroes? And then you have a show like TURN.

Is The Patriot considered a war movie? Or Hart's War? Wasn't Dances with Wolves a war movie?

It's whatever you want.... a no hard rules thread here. I just added the options to give people more flexibility. I remembered TURN late last night, and it would actually be my top tv show over Tour of Duty. Not sure how I forgot it the first time. The Patriot crossed my mind, and yes I consider it a war movie... Dances with Wolves? I haven't seen it in a LONG time... but if someone considers it a war movie, have at it. Might be like putting ketchup on a hotdog... not a perfect fit, but it's your hotdog, do what you want.

It's whatever you want.... a no hard rules thread here. I just added the options to give people more flexibility. I remembered TURN late last night, and it would actually be my top tv show over Tour of Duty. Not sure how I forgot it the first time. The Patriot crossed my mind, and yes I consider it a war movie... Dances with Wolves? I haven't seen it in a LONG time... but if someone considers it a war movie, have at it. Might be like putting ketchup on a hotdog... not a perfect fit, but it's your hotdog, do what you want.
TURN is an incredible series. It had some weird moments (like the first battle scene we see), but the storyline behind Abraham was great.

John Adams isn't a war series, but it's probably one of the best mini-series I've ever watched. It's up there with Chernobyl.

John Adams isn't a war series, but it's probably one of the best mini-series I've ever watched
Well. 🤷‍♂️

I only watched when it premiered, what, right at 15 years ago? I need to watch again. But, as I recall ...

He's voting for GW to lead the army, raising money for the army ... for the Revolutionary War.

Well. 🤷‍♂️

I only watched when it premiered, what, right at 15 years ago? I need to watch again. But, as I recall ...

He's voting for GW to lead the army, raising money for the army ... for the Revolutionary War.
Yes - the first three episodes take place around the Revolutionary War. It shows the sacrifice Adams had to take for his country to be sent off to France as a diplomat, leaving his family behind. Reading in the history books, I really thought none of it until seeing it portrayed on screen as to how that would affect his family. Then returning home and becoming president after Washington resigned. Incredible series, but I wouldn't label it a war series.

Midway or Fury
Original Midway movie. First half of Full Metal Jacket was great. Hard to beat Saving Private Ryan, but the genre is full of awesome movies.

I know I've shared this, but he deserves remembering. Band of Brothers Pacific was based in part on With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge, of Mobile. He was the scrawny mortar guy in the show. By most accounts, his is the best enlisted account of WWII, because you'd get court-martialed if you kept notes. He wrote in his Bible. His book, his true account, is much better than watching it, although the bunker TV scene is pretty good.

Eugene Sledge was my biology professor at the University of Montevallo. I had him for a couple of courses, including comparative vertebrate anatomy. He poured himself into the teaching of biology, and he was incredibly territorial. If you weren't a biology major, woe unto you. Montevallo was flush with art, music and drama majors. To complete their degree, they didn't have to take Biology 101 (botany) or 102 (zo), they only had to take Biology 100, Biology for non-majors. Sledge left a swath of fine art failures in his wake. He was discussing the difficulties of getting our microscopes to function well. He said, "It costs $120 to have a microscope professionally cleaned. We have twenty microscopes in this lab. $2,400. Denied in the budget. They just approved the construction of a third theater on this campus. $2,400. Do you know how many theater and music majors I'm going to have to fail to make my point?"

Sledgehammer.

Back
Top Bottom