Best places to visit in Alabama

PhillyGirl

It's official. For my Spring Break in March, I am doing a road trip through the South. A few days will be spent in Alabama. Any input into some great spots to visit, eat, etc in the state? I am an outdoorsy gal, but I also love history, FOOD, and sports so any input along those lines would be greatly appreciated :)

As of now, I have visits to Birmingham planned (to go to Jim n Nicks!!! I miss it so much), and to Tuscaloosa (SO MUCH TO DO THERE, SO EXCITED), and to Mobile.

Edit: Any good national parks/forests/seashores I should check out?

Last edited:
Down in and around Mobile...

Gulf Shores, Alabama
USS Alabama Battleship Park in Mobile Bay (was used in the movie Under Siege)
Ladd-Peebles Stadium,home of the Senior Bowl ( or at least drive by)

I'd stay in the Ft. Morgan area as Matt suggested. If you have the cash available, the rentals down there are fantastic. I've used Meyer Real Estate every time I've visited the area for beach front housing.

The hotels are pretty nice as well and as you might suspect cheaper.

Along 182 you'll find dozens of great place to eat from quaint little places to your palate pleasing, beach front, open air type places as well.

Be sure to hit the FloraBama. I'm sure the food is good, but I've never been there to eat. Live music at nights, good laid back crowd...and you'll find a few interesting stories about Bama football along the way. I've rented Jet Ski's along the area a few times as well.

Definitely check out Gulf Shores & Dauphin Island down there by Mobile, check out the USS Alabama in Mobile too. Lake Eufaula is pretty awesome and if you go across the stateline to Georgia and check out the Little Grand Canyon thats an awesome place to go, its in a National Forrest. If you like ghost town type deals and stuff Peterman, Alabama near Monroeville is cool and in Monroeville itself they got alot of historic stuff. Selma too, lots of Civil Rights stuff and just a pretty, old style looking town in genreal. Conecuh National Forest is cool for camping and fishing and hiking and stuff too.

I haven't visited anywhere outside of Tuscaloosa in 5 years. Will definitely visit many of these places when I come back.

Mobile definitely had a variety of activities, Mountain Brook is like the 13th wealthiest city in the U.S...Guess that's a place to visit

i myself would stay out of Birmingham the whole time, watch First 48 and they do specials there all the time it seems

The Jim N Nicks in Hoover is awesome

I would tend to disagree here, I like Birmingham (as far as visiting, def. not living)... Legion Field is a must to visit just off history alone. Last time I went they let me go onto the field and everything.

Birdman reminded me of something, I seem to recall reading that PhillyGirl was a baseball fan - add Rickwood Field to your list while in Bham. Believe they give tours http://www.rickwood.com/

I am indeed; a huge baseball, Phillies fan :tennis: I will definitely check those out. There's a cool exhibit on the Negro Leagues and the Birmingham Black Barons at the Civil Rights museum.

I have done a lot of the touristy stuff in B-ham (16th St Baptist Church, Vulcan, Civil Rights Institute, Jazz Hall of Fame, etc), and I also I like the city in itself.

Thanks for all of the recommendations guys, I really appreciate it!!

It's official. For my Spring Break in March, I am doing a road trip through the South. A few days will be spent in Alabama. Any input into some great spots to visit, eat, etc in the state? I am an outdoorsy gal, but I also love history, FOOD, and sports so any input along those lines would be greatly appreciated :)

As of now, I have visits to Birmingham planned (to go to Jim n Nicks!!! I miss it so much), and to Tuscaloosa (SO MUCH TO DO THERE, SO EXCITED), and to Mobile.

Edit: Any good national parks/forests/seashores I should check out?

A lot of good suggestions here, but you'll pass some good things along the way. I don't how much time you've spent in SW Virginia, but for short trips out of DC it can't be beat. If you head down I-81 I'd recommend a dayhike to McAfee Knob near Roanoke. One of the best views in the southeast, and one of the most photographed spots on the Appalachian Trail. Dragons Tooth, another favorite of mine, is nearby as well and is a shorter dayhike. http://www.hikingupward.com/jnf/McAfeeKnob/ http://www.hikingupward.com/JNF/DragonsTooth/

Once you run out of I-81 and head west on I-40, you'll hit Knoxville. A very short side trip is Neyland Stadium, Bama's home away from home. A fairly cheap place to eat with a local flair in Knoxville is Ham N Goodys on the west side of town just off 40, eat a sandwich but don't leave there without a few glazed teacakes. hamngoodys.net/bakery.htm

As you head down I-75 toward the promised land, you'll hit Chattanooga, probably one of the neater midsized southern towns. The aquarium is very nice. www.tennis.org/Home.aspx

If you end up on the coast, of course hit the Flora-Bama, eat at Sea N Suds in Gulf Shores or Doc's in Orange Beach, but by all means check the practice schedule of the Blue Angels in Pensacola and see if they are practicing while you're there. They do their show at 8:30 in the morning and, as opposed to being a few miles away when they visit a city, you're right next to the strip. Anyone who heads to the gulf coast should see that. March and April dates are MARCH 20*, 26, 27*, 28, 29 APRIL 2, 3*, 9, 10*, 16, 17*, 23, 24*, 30 http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/

Enjoy the trip.

RTR,

Tim

Thanks It Takes Eleven!! Lots of great recommendations there. I have only been to Harpers Ferry in WV, so I will definitely have to check that out.

Only been to Knoxville and Chattanooga on my way to Bama, only stopped for food in both haha (Sugar's Ribs in Chattanooga, some crappy pizza in Knoxville!), but I want to explore them more, so thanks for the help!

Anyone been to any or all of the 7 wonders of Georgia? Birdman mentioned the Little Grand Canyon which led to me finding this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_Seven_Natural_Wonders_of_Georgia_(U.S._state)

Thanks It Takes Eleven!! Lots of great recommendations there. I have only been to Harpers Ferry in WV, so I will definitely have to check that out.

Only been to Knoxville and Chattanooga on my way to Bama, only stopped for food in both haha (Sugar's Ribs in Chattanooga, some crappy pizza in Knoxville!), but I want to explore them more, so thanks for the help!

Anyone been to any or all of the 7 wonders of Georgia? Birdman mentioned the Little Grand Canyon which led to me finding this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_Seven_Natural_Wonders_of_Georgia_%28U.S._state%29

You're welcome. Shenandoah NP is a great outdoor playground for hikers in the DC area, some just an hour away. Skyline Drive crosses the AT dozens of times, making for great short hikes. Plenty of places to paddle, too, including the Shenandoah. Front Royal is out I-66 about an hour west, is a trail town for the AT and has paddling opportunities. http://www.frontroyalcanoe.com/tripinformation/tripsandrates.html

I've hit some of the GA seven wonders. Amicalola Falls SP is nice, not a great deal of water down the falls, but still impressive. Tallulah Gorge and Falls are very nice, similar in some respects to Little River Canyon in Alabama, but also convenient if you head back to DC via I-85. Warm Springs is more historic than impressive from a natural standpoint.

Honestly just driving through Bama you'll find tons of small towns that either a) have a ton of history or b) are just beautiful and really friendly that will kill any perception that people that are not from here try to give the state.

I'm going to a town called Peterman next weekend just to go around and look at all the old buildings and cabins there, and then going down the road to a place called Burnt Corn lol we got tons of places like that in Bama.

Nice. Maybe I'm weird but I've always found the state fascinating haha. Interesting history, too. And the food .. dear lord, the food .. :tickled_pink: I might end up just winding around the state and stopping at places that look interesting rather than planning it all out. Besides Tuscaloosa, of course; that is a DEFINITE stop!!!

I am also looking into driving through South Carolina on the way back up. I think I have Georgia figured out re: stops/day trips, but I don't know much about SC. If anyone has any recommendations they would also be appreciated!!!

Nice. Maybe I'm weird but I've always found the state fascinating haha. Interesting history, too. And the food .. dear lord, the food .. :tickled_pink: I might end up just winding around the state and stopping at places that look interesting rather than planning it all out. Besides Tuscaloosa, of course; that is a DEFINITE stop!!!

I am also looking into driving through South Carolina on the way back up. I think I have Georgia figured out re: stops/day trips, but I don't know much about SC. If anyone has any recommendations they would also be appreciated!!!

If you head up I-85, there's only about 100 miles of interstate through SC before you hit NC. Just before SC, you can take in Tallula Gorge and Falls in GA. You'll pass some nice reservoirs through that stretch of SC, and Clemson, but there's nothing I find particularly noteworthy in that stretch. My work takes me to NC and SC often, and that stretch is just typical country with the two small to midsize cities of Greenville and Spartanburg to break (slightly) the monotony. Just into NC on I-85, there's Kings Mountain Battlefield Park, site of a key southern battle from the Revolutionary war. Charlotte is a big southern city with all typical attractions.

Instead of taking i-85 all the way through SC, I'd hang a left and go north to Asheville, NC. It's a quirky, artsy, hip town right in the mountains. Plenty of good spots to eat and drink. Try the Hungry Girl on Wall Street for breakfast. You can catch I-40 from Asheville and continue east toward Greensboro.

RTR,

Tim

Back
Top Bottom