| FTBL Bama vs WC, a look back

shipley00

Bama vs Western Carolina (2004 vs 2007)

I’ve always found it interesting to look back in time on games played by the University of Alabama (Roll Tide), especially the stats. This is not intended to make any comparisons between the current staff and the previous staff (no... really). There are too many differences. For starters, the previous staff was in their second year in Tuscaloosa. The 2002 game was the 3rd of the year, while this was the season opener. While the previous staff was just starting to feel the effects of probation, they did, however, still have plenty of depth, talent, and senior leadership on defense. The previous staff had an offensive coordinator who, two years earlier, was selling cell phones. The current staff has an offensive coordinator, that two years ago, was a graduate assistant. In a bit of similarity thought, both staffs were starting Junior QB’s. Now, onto the stats:

• Both offenses scored 52 points against the Catamounts (what a name!)
• The 02 Defense gave up only 191 total yards to 07’s 247 total yards.
• The 02 Offense racked up 478 total yards to 07’s 575 total yards.
• The 02 Defense recovered 3 fumbles and had 2 INT’s while...
• ...the 07 D’ had recovered only two fumbles.
• The 07 Offense completed 73% of their passes to the 02’s 64%.
• Neither Tide O threw a pick
• Both teams had 3 backs with 8 or more carries for the game
• Both Bama teams had double digit different players (say that three times fast) with receptions
• DJ Hall had twice as many receptions in the 07 contest :D
• After the 07 team reached 31 points the starting QB was pulled. (Couldn’t resist, shame on me :twisted: )

Again, it’s just fun looking back. Roll Tide Roll. Beat Vandy.

Our defense makes me a little nervous now because Western Carolina had not scored against an SEC opponent since the 80’s and they scored 6 points against us. Also figure in that SEC teams have averaged about 51 points per game against the Catamounts over the past 20 years and it appears that our offense really isn’t that much better than that of the other SEC teams that have played WCU in recent years. I just hope that it is due to the new coaching staff and our team will improve as the season progresses.

That 04 team had a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. This team isn't close to that talent level.

The only thing I think we can be sure of is that under CNS the team will improve each week and will be playing it's best football at the end of the year. (Think 2001)

The team breaking the huddle at 15-20 seconds left on the play clock compared to 5 or so left? Applewhite is doing a much better job that the last staff at communication...and they are still working on it.

TerryP said:
The team breaking the huddle at 15-20 seconds left on the play clock compared to 5 or so left? Applewhite is doing a much better job that the last staff at communication...and they are still working on it.

I concur...

shipley00 said:
Bama vs Western Carolina (2004 vs 2007)

I’ve always found it interesting to look back in time on games played by the University of Alabama (Roll Tide), especially the stats. This is not intended to make any comparisons between the current staff and the previous staff (no... really). There are too many differences. For starters, the previous staff was in their second year in Tuscaloosa. The 2002 game was the 3rd of the year, while this was the season opener. While the previous staff was just starting to feel the effects of probation, they did, however, still have plenty of depth, talent, and senior leadership on defense. The previous staff had an offensive coordinator who, two years earlier, was selling cell phones. The current staff has an offensive coordinator, that two years ago, was a graduate assistant. In a bit of similarity thought, both staffs were starting Junior QB’s. Now, onto the stats:

• Both offenses scored 52 points against the Catamounts (what a name!)
• The 02 Defense gave up only 191 total yards to 07’s 247 total yards.
• The 02 Offense racked up 478 total yards to 07’s 575 total yards.
• The 02 Defense recovered 3 fumbles and had 2 INT’s while...
• ...the 07 D’ had recovered only two fumbles.
• The 07 Offense completed 73% of their passes to the 02’s 64%.
• Neither Tide O threw a pick
• Both teams had 3 backs with 8 or more carries for the game
• Both Bama teams had double digit different players (say that three times fast) with receptions
• DJ Hall had twice as many receptions in the 07 contest :D
• After the 07 team reached 31 points the starting QB was pulled. (Couldn’t resist, shame on me :twisted: )

Again, it’s just fun looking back. Roll Tide Roll. Beat Vandy.

This can only be accurate by comparing the talent level of WC in 02 and 07. I can not wait to see the the Georgia / Western Carolina score before we play them, this will give a hint of the Ga/Bama outcome.

Back
Top Bottom