| FTBL Bama Sports Report Practice Day 15

TerryP

Staff
Bama Sports Report Practice Day 15

After a team trip on Thursday night to Tuscaloosa’s Hollywood 16 Cinema to see “Hancock”, the Crimson Tide football team hit the practice field again at 2:30 this afternoon. Here’s what you need to know:

* No significant injuries. That makes 15 days… incredible.
* The NFL had a presence again today at camp - the Houston Texans were scouting today’s practice.
* Charlie Higgenbotham was in a black no contact jersey, though his injury is thought to be minor. His status for tomorrow’s scrimmage could be in question.
* Lots of moves with the linebackers. Freshman Don’ta Hightower got extensive work with the 1st unit at the WILL linebacker.

* With Hightower getting that look Cory Reamer wasn’t standing around. Instead he was getting 1st team work at the SAM linebacker, a position he worked at in the spring. He was backed up by Jerrell Harris, with Chavis Williams working with the 3rd unit.
* So what about Eryk Anders? After working at 1st team SAM for the last week, he took snaps with the 1st and 2nd unit at the JACK linebacker.
* Marcel Dareus is making his push into the playing rotation, having moved up into the 2nd unit.

* Julio Jones continues to be the most physically impressive receiver on the Tide team, and his skill set is unmatched.
* The 2nd unit offensive line is still comprised of the 3 true freshman, Brian Motley & David Ross. How they perform in tomorrow’s scrimmage could go a long way towards determining if they stay in that position next week.
* Chris Jackson & B.J. Scott look to be the front runners for playing time in slot for the Tide. Darius Hanks is working both inside and outside, and he’ll see a ton of playing time (and passes thrown his way), but these 2 guys appear to be the perfect fit for the way that Jim McElwain likes to use his slot.

* Mark Ingram is continuing to lock down his position as the Tide’s 3rd back. He’s shown improvement in pass catching and blocking in the last few days, giving the coaches confidence in his ability to be a complete back.

Source: BSR

Did ANYBODY see Chris Jackson moving up the ranks this far? I figured a redshirt. I never would have thought he would be in the rotation. Then if you look at his stats from his senior year in HS ober 1400 yards and 23 touches is pretty darn good.

NTT said:
Did ANYBODY see Chris Jackson moving up the ranks this far? I figured a redshirt. I never would have thought he would be in the rotation. Then if you look at his stats from his senior year in HS ober 1400 yards and 23 touches is pretty darn good.

If you would have asked me before camp started I would have said no way.

We've been getting very good reports on him the last week or so.

NTT said:

He had been doing well, but he pretty much solidified himself a spot in the major playing rotation during last Saturday's scrimmage. Coming is early really helped him and he took advantage of it.

If you had asked me before the camp who would be our best and/or #1 WR I would have said Nikita Stover because he has experience and big game touchdowns and all. Is it a testiment to how well the others or doing or a testiment to how he is just not in his rhythm?

I'm sorry I ask all these questions. But I have been consumed of late by the knowledge coming from here and I really don't have any Bama friends that I can talk in this capacity of depth to. Most of the Bama fans I know probably know 4 or 5 players from the team and don't have a clue who Jones, Ingram, Jackson, Harris, Hightower etc..... are.

NTT said:
If you had asked me before the camp who would be our best and/or #1 WR I would have said Nikita Stover because he has experience and big game touchdowns and all. Is it a testiment to how well the others or doing or a testiment to how he is just not in his rhythm?

Well, it is a little hard to say, but in my opinion, it is more of a case of the younger guys really developing and improving over the last year, especially during the spring. McCoy was already pretty good heading into spring, but Hanks is one who was really impressing the staff. The younger receivers as a whole have all just really improved though, which seems odd to us, because we rarely saw that happen under the previous regime. Add to that, 2 studs are brought in (BJ Scott and Julio), and you've got Stover as just another player in the rotation. I think it is clear he will be in the "2nd rotation" of guys though, so he is going to get his opportunities.

Thanks a ton. Great post, as per usual.
It's really good news to hear that great report on Jones. I'm looking forward to having one of those "national presence" guys on the team again. Makes me miss Prothro, Palmer, Alexander and the like.

I can honestly say I'm a little surprised Jackson is doing so well. I love to see the underdog(somewhat) get a shot at playing time. I really would like to see him as a big play maker for us, that would enable us to have so many weapons.

I'm happy to hear Dareus is moving up in the depth also. Like most everyone else, I expect him to make a significant impact this season. I still believe he's going to be the leader of the true freshman group in sacks.

As or the NG position, who seems to be getting the most reps. I know this is the position that we'll probably cycle through the most, but I'm just curious at how heated it's getting.

Of course I have to ask about the RT position, any updates? In the back of my mind, I'm still a little worried. I hate to sound pessimistic, but it's going to take a great performance this season for me to get over Capps and Connelly debacle. :lol:

Tider27 said:
I can honestly say I'm a little surprised Jackson is doing so well. I love to see the underdog(somewhat) get a shot at playing time. I really would like to see him as a big play maker for us, that would enable us to have so many weapons.

I'm happy to hear Dareus is moving up in the depth also. Like most everyone else, I expect him to make a significant impact this season. I still believe he's going to be the leader of the true freshman group in sacks.

As or the NG position, who seems to be getting the most reps. I know this is the position that we'll probably cycle through the most, but I'm just curious at how heated it's getting.

Of course I have to ask about the RT position, any updates? In the back of my mind, I'm still a little worried. I hate to sound pessimistic, but it's going to take a great performance this season for me to get over Capps and Connelly debacle. :lol:

I got a couple of notes after the last scrimmage about the NT position from some guys who had watched the entire scrimmage. To a man, all of them mentioned they saw what could be termed as a log-jam at the NT position. It was interesting reading their comments because the majority of them mentioned how at the beginning of last year our DL, in terms of depth and talent, was at the bottom of the league. Now, it's easily in the top 5 in the SEC.

As we've mentioned, this depth and talent we have at the NT position lends a lot of credence to the thought we'll end up lining up in our 3-3-5/4-2-5 depending on where the JACK LB'er is lined up.

They went on to say they felt Cody was the break-out player of the fall camp.

After that scrimmage, it was mentioned we still needed one more pass rusher to step up. Of course, Dareus was a little "gimpy" at that scrimmage. He can fill that role as well as Square later on in the season.

As to RT, today, I would say it's likely Drew's job to lose.

The crazy thing about the OL is if you would have asked me a few months ago I would have said there is a good chance for some of the new guys to see PT. Now, barring injury, it wouldn't come as a shock to see the entire OL class 'shirt.

TerryP said:
Tider27 said:

I got a couple of notes after the last scrimmage about the NT position from some guys who had watched the entire scrimmage. To a man, all of them mentioned they saw what could be termed as a log-jam at the NT position. It was interesting reading their comments because the majority of them mentioned how at the beginning of last year our DL, in terms of depth and talent, was at the bottom of the league. Now, it's easily in the top 5 in the SEC.

As we've mentioned, this depth and talent we have at the NT position lends a lot of credence to the thought we'll end up lining up in our 3-3-5/4-2-5 depending on where the JACK LB'er is lined up.

They went on to say they felt Cody was the break-out player of the fall camp.

After that scrimmage, it was mentioned we still needed one more pass rusher to step up. Of course, Dareus was a little "gimpy" at that scrimmage. He can fill that role as well as Square later on in the season.

As to RT, today, I would say it's likely Drew's job to lose.

The crazy thing about the OL is if you would have asked me a few months ago I would have said there is a good chance for some of the new guys to see PT. Now, barring injury, it wouldn't come as a shock to see the entire OL class 'shirt.

It's certainly a positive to actually have some legitimate solid depth on the DL. A competition for a starting spot by 3 solid players is always a healthy competition. Glad to hear Cody has been getting a little praise. I actually wouldn't be shocked at all to see some 3-3-5 and 4-2-5. I'm all for mixing it up and what ever gives us the best matchups defensively. I don't buy into that whole lighter players with more speed mess in that long breath of a thread. :wink:

I'm hoping if Dareus can't step it up someone like Square can. He seems to be a unsung player of fall camp that has been getting consistantly better.

As for the RT position I figured Davis still has the job as of now. When I stated my opinion on him weeks ago, I didn't mean it as a negative. I've pointed out at he came from the AISA and didn't compete on a high level of competition, but he seems to be proving me wrong. I admittedly thought that he would eventually lose the position, but I'm glad he's impressing enough to hold his ground. It still seems that he'll have to prove it on the field however. I would rather see results from the RT position rather then talk about potential as a solid starter. But I'll back him up 100% undoubtedly.

Little surprised to hear that most of the TF OL's might be red shirted. I still expect Love to make a push at RT as the season goes on, or at least see some type of playing time on the line.

Tider27 said:
As for the RT position I figured Davis still has the job as of now. When I stated my opinion on him weeks ago, I didn't mean it as a negative. I've pointed out at he came from the AISA and didn't compete on a high level of competition, but he seems to be proving me wrong. I admittedly thought that he would eventually lose the position, but I'm glad he's impressing enough to hold his ground. It still seems that he'll have to prove it on the field however. I would rather see results from the RT position rather then talk about potential as a solid starter. But I'll back him up 100% undoubtedly.

Little surprised to hear that most of the TF OL's might be red shirted. I still expect Love to make a push at RT as the season goes on, or at least see some type of playing time on the line.

I'm not saying they'll all 'shirt, but I am saying it wouldn't shock me to see it work out that way.

I'm anxious to see how we line up in our base set re: Davis. Do we see Walker over there in the TE position (pass threat) or do we see more of McCall in that position (better blocker.)

Speaking of TE's...

I would have NEVER guessed that Smelley would have come into camp looking like a true TE. I suspected we'd see more of a QB with the frame to grow into a TE. But, he's in great shape for a kid his age. I seriously think he's going to see action this year.

In fact, even with the graduation we are going to see hit our TE corps after this season I feel pretty good about our TE group for '09. Heck, right now, Peek may be the best all around TE of all of them.

TerryP said:
I'm not saying they'll all 'shirt, but I am saying it wouldn't shock me to see it work out that way.

I'm anxious to see how we line up in our base set re: Davis. Do we see Walker over there in the TE position (pass threat) or do we see more of McCall in that position (better blocker.)

Speaking of TE's...

I would have NEVER guessed that Smelley would have come into camp looking like a true TE. I suspected we'd see more of a QB with the frame to grow into a TE. But, he's in great shape for a kid his age. I seriously think he's going to see action this year.

In fact, even with the graduation we are going to see hit our TE corps after this season I feel pretty good about our TE group for '09. Heck, right now, Peek may be the best all around TE of all of them.

Yeah I can see it being a possibility, we'll have to see how well we hold up in the injuries as the season goes on.

If I had to guess I would expect McCall to actually be the man on the field. He would be a great asset to a Clemson rush early in the game. It would certaily help ease Davis into the transition of a starter.

I'm pretty excited about Smelley. I wasn't aware he was in TE form either. I would also go as far as to say he's a freak of a athlete. If he pushes for some playing time that speaks volumes for his potential for us in the coming years. If all this buzz about Peek is as good as advertised, I'm gonna love to watch him in 09'. I like the idea of a excellent revieving TE and one that can block. A total package TE is a seriously underrated weapon on the football field.

Tider27 said:
TerryP said:

Speaking of TE's...

Yeah I can see it being a possibility, we'll have to see how well we hold up in the injuries as the season goes on.

If I had to guess I would expect McCall to actually be the man on the field. He would be a great asset to a Clemson rush early in the game. It would certaily help ease Davis into the transition of a starter.

I'm pretty excited about Smelley. I wasn't aware he was in TE form either. I would also go as far as to say he's a freak of a athlete. If he pushes for some playing time that speaks volumes for his potential for us in the coming years. If all this buzz about Peek is as good as advertised, I'm gonna love to watch him in 09'. I like the idea of a excellent revieving TE and one that can block. A total package TE is a seriously underrated weapon on the football field.

If he ends up being as good as he seems to be at this point it's a safe statement to say he's looking to be a pretty high draft pick in '10.

There are so few true TE's at the next level.

This is a little off here but talking about TE's and draft pics. As a Saints fan ( they just aquired Shockey) I've watched them over the years and reading articles after articles, they've been searching for a ''true total TE package'' for few years.
Reading alot of them,the statement Terry makes about ''too few of them at the next level'' is very, very true. I don't know why but it seems it's always a situation where they can block but not catch or catch but not block. Something keeps most from being the '''total package''. If Peek can display both qualities, he'll get snatched up quickly in the draft.

Back
Top Bottom