| FTBL Bama 1966's final analysis of the 2011 season

Kirk Van de Graaff

Gravity Checker
Staff
Ok, I have had a few days to take in this season and let me tell you, Bama1966 is without a doubt more than happy about the outcome.

First off congratulations are in order to a few of our players.

Offense

Trent Richardson
- Doak Walker award winner and Heisman finalist with 1679 yards rushing and 21 Tds on the ground, 338 yards receiving with 3 Tds for the season, Absolute beast, one of the best RB's I have seen at Bama. Soft spoken bull with a determined mind set. He, IMHO, is better than Mark Ingram, and that is saying a lot. I wish him the best in his pro career and will be following him where ever he goes. Sports pundits say he is going to get picked up as the 5th pick by Tampa Bay.

A.J. McCarron- This guys first year starting for the Tide and he went above and beyond the call of duty, 2634 yards passing 16 Td's and just 5 INT's. A 147.3 QB rating. Really played better than expected this year and could come out of Alabama with some records. Look forward to his future.

Brad Smelley, Marquis Maze, Barrett Jones, William Vlachos, Eddie Lacy- 674 yards rushing with 7 tds, and for my personal unsung hero award..
Darius Hanks, the guy was clutch, all he did was get us first downs and catching the ball in key situations. He did us proud.

Defense

Dont'a Hightower- 83 tackles and 4 sacks 1 int

Courtney Upshaw- 52 tackles and 9 and 1/2 sacks 1 int for a TD projected as the 18th pick for the Chargers

Dre Kirkpatrick- 29 tackles projected as the 6th pick by the Jaguars

Mark Barron
- 63 tackles and 1 sack. My favorite player on this team, has great leadership skills and will be a great pick for any NFL team- projected to go to the Jets as the 16th pick in the draft

Jesse Williams, Josh Chapman, C. J. Mosley, Robert Lester, DeQuan Menzie, Damion Square, and the unsung hero on defense Nick Gentry, he was pushing that front line in the BCS game all day long. Was proud of his efforts.

Last but not least, Jeremy Shelley stepped up his game and kicked the ball through the uprights decently throughout the year, although he missed his last extra point this year, which caused me to go into Saban mode and curse, he kicked them when it counted the most.

We have a lot to be thankful for, 2 BCS titles in 3 years, great recruiting, great coaching, and great fanbase. One more thing that I have to say is, Thank you to Mal Moore, for his vision and dedication, he has taken a lot of flack over the years, and I think he deserves respect here.

Congratulations to the 2011 National Champs, The Alabama Crimson Tide.

Roll Tide

There's been quite a bit of talk about Blackwell's actions during the game Monday night. It's a safe bet to say that frustration comes from getting your arse beaten time and time again: by a reserve.

I don't know if Gentry will end up being drafted or not. I do suspect he'll get a look at some tryouts though...the combine is going to be important for him.

Kirk, the one guy I would add to this list is Jerrell. He did a heck of a job this year after figuring out what he needed to do to "fit the system." That said, he played the option as well as anyone could play. He was literally standing in one place waiting for Jefferson to make his decision.

The commentators were saying "JJ needs to attack the LOS when he runs the option." Attack it how?!?! We were just sitting there waiting for him to make his move.

It's been a fun year. We see guys leaving early after winning two NC's and only on the losing end of four games in the collegiate career. We've seen every one of Saban's classes enjoy an NC.

What a lot don't realize is we've had a player drafted in the NFL at every single position on offense and defense. That's talent.

Back
Top Bottom