| FTBL Bad news for UT...

G

This was the season. Nick Saban's first year at Bama and we are in a position of having a really young team (only 2 seniors on offense and 3 on defense), and we are learning a new system. Nick Saban is known as one of (if not the #1) best recruiters in the business and he has not yet had time to get his players into his system.

Bama has an offense that averages about 2.5 stars and they are less than a year into a mandatory S&C program (versus Shula's optional S&C).

This was the year. Ainge is a top QB. You guys have more seniors on your 2 deep than we do on the team. Saban is ramping up recruiting but you guys are loaded with four and five star players. This WAS the year. You could really unload on a Bama team still reeling from a coaching change...a team that lost a lot of defensive talent and has virtually no defensive line. A team that could not get pressure on the QB with a sheet metal press. You have Cutcliff back for another season and a system that has been in place for over a decade.

THIS WAS THE YEAR! You should have CRUSHED us.

Instead, Saban outprepared and outcoached you, and our team outworked yours. In the end, it was ugly.

Keep this in mind...The last time we beat you like this, we did not lose another game to you for a decade.

Play it again, Sam. In 1998, UT won the NC. In 1999 Fulmer and Tennstud and other orange faithful hatched their plan to take down the Tide. Instead of being obsessed with taking down Bama, Fulmer should have been concerned about keeping his program at the top.

As a Vol poster said, ultimately the way the Bama probation played out may have been for the best for US. It caused us to seriously re-evaluate where we are, and cut a lot of dead weight (along with ties to the past that were really ballast).

A number of vols have said "wait til next season!" My response is, I can't wait.

This was your year and you blew it.

Big_Fan said:
This was the season. Nick Saban's first year at Bama and we are in a position of having a really young team (only 2 seniors on offense and 3 on defense), and we are learning a new system. Nick Saban is known as one of (if not the #1) best recruiters in the business and he has not yet had time to get his players into his system.

Bama has an offense that averages about 2.5 stars and they are less than a year into a mandatory S&C program (versus Shula's optional S&C).

This was the year. Ainge is a top QB. You guys have more seniors on your 2 deep than we do on the team. Saban is ramping up recruiting but you guys are loaded with four and five star players. This WAS the year. You could really unload on a Bama team still reeling from a coaching change...a team that lost a lot of defensive talent and has virtually no defensive line. A team that could not get pressure on the QB with a sheet metal press. You have Cutcliff back for another season and a system that has been in place for over a decade.

Instead, Saban outprepared and outcoached you, and our team outworked yours. In the end, it was ugly.

Keep this in mind...The last time we beat you like this, we did not lose another game to you for a decade.

Play it again, Sam. In 1998, UT won the NC. In 1999 Saban and Tennstud and other orange faithful hatched their plan to take down the Tide. Instead of being obsessed with taking down Bama, Fulmer should have been concerned about keeping his program at the top.

As a Vol poster said, ultimately the way the Bama probation played out may have been for the best for US. It caused us to seriously re-evaluate where we are, and cut a lot of dead weight (along with ties to the past that were really ballast).

A number of vols have said "wait til next season!" My response is, I can't wait.

Very well said.

Big_Fan said:
Instead of being obsessed with taking down Bama, Fulmer should have been concerned about keeping his program at the top.

This is what I've been telling my fellow UT co-workers for the past 5 or 6 years as they complain on and on about UT's mediocre football program.

A few days ago a caller on Finebaum said something like the original post. GREAT post by the way.

EVERY team that wants a win against Bama needs to do it NOW!!! Fulmer had his final shot and BLEW IT!!!

Granted anything can happen against a rival, but I feel it will be OUR GAME TO LOSE for the next 5 years or so!

That goes for the IRON BOWL too!!! :D

~Bryan

HeflinLady said:
Big_Fan said:

Play it again, Sam. In 1998, UT won the NC. In 1999 Saban and Tennstud and other orange faithful hatched their plan to take down the Tide. Instead of being obsessed with taking down Bama, Fulmer should have been concerned about keeping his program at the top.

Very well said.

I second that.

Oh and I LOVE it. Even though Ill be in Alabama the next four years, I still am from Chattanooga and will visit there quite often, and its never sounded sweeter to be a BAMA fan in Orange Hell.

I also have a question. Did Tee Martian not admit(after his carrer was over in the nfl) that he took money at UCHEAT? I remember seeing it on ESPN a while back. Does anyone remember?

Optimus said:
I also have a question. Did Tee Martian not admit(after his carrer was over in the nfl) that he took money at UCHEAT? I remember seeing it on ESPN a while back. Does anyone remember?

MOBILE, Ala. (AP) -- The Southeastern Conference is investigating two alleged payments in 1999 to Tennessee quarterback Tee Martin by a Mobile businesswoman through a sportswriter who knew Martin.

Mobile Register reporter Wayne Rowe said he cashed two checks totaling $4,500 in February 1999 made out to him by Diane D. Sanford, then an executive with Aarco Insurance in Mobile. Rowe, who was interviewed by an SEC investigator Wednesday, said he then forwarded the money to Martin, a Mobile native.

"If hindsight was 20/20, I'd have never done this. I was not thinking. I had nothing to gain," Rowe said in a Register story Tuesday.

"Tee knew my kids. He'd come over and play video games and mess around. It was never a thing where I was trying to profit from him," Rowe said. The payments were allegedly made just over a month after Martin, a former Williamson High School star, led the Volunteers to a national title and while he was still eligible at Tennessee, where he played in the fall of 1999.

Sanford, who now works for Sunbelt Finance and Insurance in Mobile, did not immediately return a message left by The Associated Press Tuesday.

Aarco owner William Tucker said a lawsuit had been filed against Diane and Paul Sanford concerning finances at his company and that Diane Sanford was fired from Aarco in September 1999.

Paul Sanford died Monday at the University of South Alabama Medical Center after being admitted last Wednesday, a hospital spokeswoman said. According to a police report, officers responded to a suicide attempt involving Sanford that day.

SEC investigator Bill Sievers, who interviewed Rowe on Wednesday in Mobile, declined comment on the investigation. League commissioner Roy Kramer and Tennessee athletic director Doug Dickey also said they could not discuss an ongoing investigation.

Martin, a Pittsburgh Steelers backup, is playing for the Rhein Fire in NFL Europe and could not be reached for comment.

The Register said former colleagues described Diane and Paul Sanford as avid Tennessee fans. Diane Sanford's first husband and their son both earned degrees from the school.

Rowe said he didn't know Diane Sanford, and had no reason to believe she was a Tennessee booster, when she called him early in 1999 and told him that Martin needed help getting his car fixed.

Several days later, she called him again. "She said, 'Wayne, I talked to Tee. His engine blew up. Is it possible I could get you to send him something?'" Rowe said. 'I said, 'Sure.'"

According to Rowe, Sanford said Martin had indicated Rowe was someone in Mobile he trusted.

Rowe said he picked up a $2,000 check from the Aarco offices on Feb. 5, 1999, cashed it and wired the money to Martin in Knoxville. Three weeks later, on Feb. 26, he did the same with a $2,500 check from Sanford on the same account.

"That was the extent of my involvement," Rowe said.

Asked about Rowe's status at the newspaper, Register Editor Mike Marshall said, "We're still looking into the matter."

Dickey said Tennessee officials won't take any independent action before the SEC completes its investigation. The league will turn over its findings to the NCAA.

In April, Tennessee forfeited two scholarships and prohibited head coach Phil Fulmer from recruiting trips in May for an improper meeting with former Alabama wide receiver Eric Locke.

Google is a good thing. :wink:

Old news though. I was told by a local where I am that a UT player who graduated last year (one of their top lineman) who was originally committed to the Barn got a "present" to come to UT, and when told of this AU were steamed and now they do not really recruit at that HS anymore.

Purely rumor though...so take it FWIW

You know Outlaw thats a lot of check cashing I'm sure Tee is a pure as snow to..

The Register said former colleagues described Diane and Paul Sanford as avid Tennessee fans. Diane Sanford's first husband and their son both earned degrees from the school.She said, 'Wayne, I talked to Tee. His engine blew up. Is it possible I could get you to send him something?'" Rowe said. 'I said, 'Sure.'"

As right as rain I'm sure... So his QUOTE engine cost 4,500 bucks to fix must be one heck of a car..

Back
Top Bottom